The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#113185 - 11/21/07 03:56 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: Regulator6]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I think you have some good points there, Regulator6.

One reason for LBE, beit a soldier's or a civilian's is to have it on your person at all times, as you said.

But the other reason, which is probably so second-nature you don't even think about it, is to make your gear instantly accessible.

All a soldier's "implements of destruction/survival" could also be carried in a rucksack, but imagine, every time you empty a magazine, having to drop your pack and dig around in the bottom for a loaded mag?

That's why I'm still searching for the holy grail of civi LBE.

On another note, I find it depressing that a soldier in full uniform would be called in as "suspicious" and questioned for more than 5 seconds by a cop.

Although looking like a shabby civilian isn't any guarantee either! My parent's house where I grew up is a few miles from where the Appalachian Trail crosses a dead-end road. Naturally I tended to end my multi-day hikes at that point, and simply walk home down the road. We must have looked pretty ragged once because the local cop stopped us and asked the usual "Where are you going? Where are you from? What are you doing?" questions to see if we were up to something. The hitchhiker/vagrant look isn't as invisible as people think.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#113444 - 11/24/07 11:24 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: sodak]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I didn't have my LBE with me, but I had Nikon binoculars with me and they were laying on the dash of my car. I had a backpack in the backseat from an earlier short hike.

I was parked downtown, where I have been going to for over 27 years. Some young store clerks called the police because they thought I was casing the stores. Of course the Police did their job and checked me out, but it was ANNOYING!!

I'm glad I didn't have an LBE in the car; of course if I had, the Police would have only found FAKs in the ammo pouches. The look of an LBE in my area would only raise eyebrows. (I cut the grenade holders off. Grenades are too noisy anyway grin)

But still, I plan on taking the LBE with me in the car anyway. I'm just one of those "survivalist nuts" who people run to when they need help.

Wasn't $5.00 a great buy for all that gear??!!!

#113447 - 11/24/07 11:38 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: Regulator6]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Sometimes if I am in an urban area wearing a combat patrol pack and wearing an M65 jacket,,,I often wear my Air Force cap with the American Flag pin and SAC Pin on the front. At least it lets people know that I'm All-American. (One day I wanted to put a sign on the back of the pack that says, "I'm NOT homeless, I'm employed...and I don't want your d....n money".)

I generally use Arc'teryx backpacks, but occasionally the patrol pack makes its appearance.

#113522 - 11/25/07 07:17 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: ironraven]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I recommend to your attention the 5.11 concealed carry vest. For discreet carry of vital EDC kit it's rather hard to beat. I've added a a double magazine pouch which takes a multi-tool and a folding knife and the torch pouch which is perfect for a AA Maglite or a Surefire. The handcuff pouch takes a headtorch perfectly (Tikka Plus).

#113610 - 11/26/07 03:10 AM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
5.11 is too famous. Every cop and mall ninja in North America knows what it is. wink

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113640 - 11/26/07 01:53 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
True. But I really want one of their "assault parka's." Just not enough to pop $200 for one. Yet...

#113672 - 11/26/07 05:38 PM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, me to. The vests look too suspicious, I see someone wearing a safari vest at 110 degrees it screams "gun" no matter what. But the parkas look "right", they blend in.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#113728 - 11/27/07 01:04 AM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And I really meant "Aggressor Parka." Senior moment I guess. What did I have for breakfast anyway???

#113750 - 11/27/07 02:16 AM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: thseng]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I am brand new to this forum, but couldn't resist jumping into this topic. It is great to see that my friends down south have the same views on these things as I do way up here. As food for thought, may I suggest something along the line of a good hunting vest to fill the role of civi LBE. Most have as much as or more actual capacity and function than military vests, and are not made by the lowest bidder as most military equipment is. When people see realtree hardwoods green as opposed to military camo they tend automatically to assume you are a hunter or hiker as opposed to being up to no good. I have worn army LBE hunting only to have people look at me like I was insane. When wearing a hunting vest which was almost identical to my military gear (except in hunter camo) no one gave me a second glance. Except for places to store ballistic plates and grenade pouches, a lot of the current hunting vests are stitch for stitch every bit as rugged and reliable as most army LBE, and draw less attention. A nice example is the Primos Randy Anderson Signature Series Predator Hunting Vest. www.BassPro.com

#113751 - 11/27/07 02:20 AM Re: Military Survival Kit [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Welcome Canadian_Soldier, look forward to your input on the forum.

And THANKS,

Mike

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.