Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#112175 - 11/10/07 11:54 PM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: TomApple]
skunked Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, VA
Interesting thread. As a USN Sailor myself please allow me to add my .02 cents.

Most of my shipmates do not carry a pocket knife, MAYBE a multitool, or a flashlight. Add a good knife or three, the Spyderco SALT series would be nice.

Please go with LED for the flashlight and make it two per raft.

Our uniforms are cotton, some form of heat or insulation would almost be required. Some kind of body suit?

Hang the expense, leave the pyrotechnics and ADD the rescue laser flare. And no glowsticks, go with the Krill or the glo-toob.

Any chance of a rescue radio along the lines of the old Gertrudes?

And do the leak clamps actually work? Has some cold, scared, tired kid tried to use them in the dark in the water?

As has already been suggested it would also be nice to have a chance to play with a life raft. I would think it would have to be done in boot.In 9 years I have had no more than short "Pull this line to inflate the raft." instructions.

And as a practical note..with any Navy ship that went down today I think the issue would be short term survival not long term.

Thanks for your efforts to make sure that my Shipmates and I are well equipped and safe!

#112218 - 11/11/07 01:56 PM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: skunked]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: skunked

Thanks for your service.

Most of my shipmates do not carry a pocket knife, MAYBE a multitool, or a flashlight.

I find that terribly depressing... :-(

And do the leak clamps actually work? Has some cold, scared, tired kid tried to use them in the dark in the water?

They work very well. They are pretty easy to install. Like with most things, training would be helpful, as would illustrated instructions, instead of the text only. Here's how they work, FYI:

Instructions can be found here: http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic233.htm

The problem, such as it is, is that having to enlarge a small hole to get the bottom clamp through is somewhat counter-intuitive when water is coming in, or air is going out, and you want to stop the leak. <g> For small holes the screw-in rubber plugs can be somewhat quicker, but are not as permanent and reliable a seal.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#112363 - 11/13/07 11:47 AM Re: Keep Us Up to Date on Final Decision [Re: skunked]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.

Most of my shipmates do not carry a pocket knife, MAYBE a multitool, or a flashlight. Add a good knife or three, the Spyderco SALT series would be nice.

Please go with LED for the flashlight and make it two per raft.

It probably will be a high power, long life LED flashlight. One candidate for a strobe beacon also can double as a flashlight.

Quote:

Hang the expense, leave the pyrotechnics and ADD the rescue laser flare. And no glowsticks, go with the Krill or the glo-toob.

The issue with pyrotechnics is not the expense, but their effectiveness, as opposed to the hazard in using them and also the logistical problems is dealing with them. We'd replace it with more than just a laser flare but with strobes and an improved beacon system on the raft itself.

Quote:

Any chance of a rescue radio along the lines of the old Gertrudes?

We're looking toward using some of the new PLB's. The MOBI (man overboard indicator)system in the float coats will also help with location.

Quote:

Doug amply illustrates the use of the clamps below. A life raft with some of those on there has passed a four hour inflation test, as well as a raft with no holes. They work very well.

Quote:
As has already been suggested it would also be nice to have a chance to play with a life raft. I would think it would have to be done in boot.In 9 years I have had no more than short "Pull this line to inflate the raft." instructions.

I'm working with the Safety Center on more pervasive and comprehensive training materials for shipboard reinforcement training.

Quote:
And as a practical note..with any Navy ship that went down today I think the issue would be short term survival not long term.

Thanks for your efforts to make sure that my Shipmates and I are well equipped and safe!

Correct, that is why I'm looking more at hypothermia treatment and prevention. Also, Thank you for your service to our country.

I've been program manager for life rafts since this past July, so I'm working on testing and evaluating improvements toward eventual implementation as quickly as possible. Fortunately I have the support of my superiors and hopefully we can implement the improvements within a year.

I'll be in Portsmouth this week at NNSY training the life raft facility there.

Regards,

Tom Apple
Combatant Craft Div.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 195 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.