The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111266 - 11/03/07 07:18 AM Slip joint advice
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

NRA slipjoint

OK, so courtesy of the knife laws in the UK, I'm looking for a sub 3" bladed non-locking folder. I already carry a SAK, but find the main blade feels a bit fragile. So I'm looking for a conventional, blade only knife. I'm not a heavy user, but I do like to have something I can cut with (and I have a scar across my knuckle that reminds me a reasonably stiff backspring would be nice)

I love the Spyderco UKPK, but it isn't cheap and it looks a bit tacticool. One hand opening and super steel is probably more than I need.

I quite like the look of the NRA one above - the price is right, and I like the choice of blade shapes.

Anybody got any experience with it, and any other recommendations - Marbles sowbelly is another that caught my eye.

#111269 - 11/03/07 08:20 AM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: bigreddog]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't have any experience with that particular knife (NRA lockback), but the NRA stuff is made by Benchmade, so it should be a quality piece.

For slip joints I love Queen Cutlery, especially their Cocobolo line. Excellent D2 steel and very well made for not a lot of money. Canal Street Cutlery has some extremely nice stuff too (but expensive). Another excellent choice would be the Lone Wolf Loveless City Knife, though I think it's a bit above the price range you're looking in.

#111297 - 11/03/07 04:09 PM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: bigreddog]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
The NRA slippies don't look bad but I would suggest either a US made Buck or Case XX.
I have no experience with Queen but many like them.
If you are in the UK maybe a Sheffield or Solingen slippie might be a good choice. I hear that Hen & Roosters and Boker slipjoints from Germany are quite good.
If you want to do some research check out www.bladeforums.com
and visit the Traditional folder and fixed blade sub forum.
I just bought a Case Moose in CV blades (carbon steel) and I am very pleased. The Moose is a 2 bladed 4 1/4 inch stockman.
http://www.wrcase.com/knives/view_all/firstlook.php?Family=%22Red%20CV%22&View=1&Item=
Even though locking knives are OK here I still usually carry a slipjoint for smaller tasks.
Bill

On second thought why not something like an SAK Farmer? That is a great knife that would be legal in the UK.

I don't think the NRA slippies are made by Benchmade I think they are Bear & Sons.

Edited by billym (11/03/07 06:36 PM)

#111312 - 11/03/07 06:36 PM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: billym]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
billym beat me to it ...

... the SAK Soldier, Farmer, Electrician have double the blade strength of the usual SAK, and decently stiff springs too ...

... now if they would only build one with high-end steel ...

#111316 - 11/03/07 07:29 PM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: dougwalkabout]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input

I've got SAKs, but just itch for something different (it's more likely to be about personal pref than function)

The Queen ones look nice, but they seem a lot more expensive (probably worth it, but I'm sneaking this one SWMBO as it is)

#111321 - 11/03/07 08:40 PM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: bigreddog]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: bigreddog

but they seem a lot more expensive

One of the things you have to remember about SAKs is they're probably the best quality folding knives out there in their price range. In order to get the same or better quality you usually end up paying at least double from any other maker.

With the Queen knives you not only get about the same quality, but you get the awesome D2 steel. The same knife from Case, Canal Street (Schrade), Boker, Hen and Rooster, ect will cost you just as much (if not more), and you don't usually get as great of steel.

I just think if you're looking for something equal to, or better than, a SAK you're probably going to have to spend a little more than what you would on a SAK. That's just my experience.

#111322 - 11/03/07 09:04 PM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: bigreddog]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I would suggest a pre-bankruptcy (pre-Taylor) Schrade Old Timer 8OT or a similar folder. The steel is 1095 carbon and you get 3 blades that take a fantastic edge. You can find them on Ebay on a regular basis, and probably plenty right there in the UK, which will save you shipping. It was my first fishing knife and, if I hadn't been stupid and lost it, I'd still have it. I bought another 5 years ago and it's now in my tackle box. smile

#111338 - 11/04/07 01:49 AM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: norad45]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Norad beat me to it.
I have been carring a Schrade Walden Old Timer 80T in my pocket for more years than I want to admit to. It a darn good knife, takes and keeps a good edge.

#111339 - 11/04/07 01:53 AM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: norad45]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: norad45
I would suggest a pre-bankruptcy (pre-Taylor) Schrade Old Timer 8OT or a similar folder. The steel is 1095 carbon

Just a quick note, just because a Schrade is pre-taylor does not mean it will be carbon. Schrade switched to stainless steel long before then. Most stainless will be marked "Schrade+", but not all of them will.

#111340 - 11/04/07 01:57 AM Re: Slip joint advice [Re: bigreddog]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: bigreddog

I quite like the look of the NRA one above - the price is right, and I like the choice of blade shapes.

Anybody got any experience with it,

I've had that one for awhile now, it may be Chinese made, but the quality is above average.

Fit and finish are flawless and the steel has done very well at holding an edge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.