Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#112035 - 11/09/07 05:57 AM Would Americans buy a Smart car?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

would Americans buy a Smart car? This car is very popular in Canada. Canucks use this car to commute to work and urban travel. However, this car isn't suitable for travel across the country due to limited cargo space. In addition, the engine is noisier than the Corrola or the Civic.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/11/08/smart.car/index.html

#112037 - 11/09/07 06:14 AM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Now that is just a loaded question.

When you say things like "would Americans do" something, remember, we are about the least homogeneous country in world in terms of culture and terrain with significant population density. Yes, there are larger countries- Canada is bigger than CONUS, but most of Canada is settled like Alaska is, the population is actually a more concentrated in urban areas. That is like asking "would Europeans" or "would Africans" or "would Asians".

But I find your claim that are popular in Canada interesting, as I see an awful lot of Canadian plates on cars around here and I've never actually seen one of these things outside of a museum or being flatbedded to or from a car show. And I think comparing it to the smallest and some of the largest vehicles sold in America is sketchy at best- bad editing. What it doesn't do is hold Mom, Dad and 2.3 kids. Geez, it doesn't look like it has enough room in the trunk for normal equipment OR a full week of groceries, much less both at the same time.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one- I don't physically fit in a Mini and this is smaller (and it isn't a gutroom issue, it is a leg and headroom issue- I refuse to stick my head out the window like a dog). If it wasn't for the hill her workplace is on, my mother might be interested when there has been enough global warming that ice and snow are no longer a problem.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112040 - 11/09/07 09:12 AM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
In the city...yes. In the country...I'd be afraid of pickup trucks and SUVs. I've seen quite a few crashes between compact cars and trucks on the highway, and it usually doesn't end well for the small car or the people inside.

Most people don't realize that crash test rating are based on weight classes, and generally a vehicle in a larger weight class has the advantage over a smaller vehicle, even when the smaller vehicle is rated higher. It's one of the reasons I will never have anything smaller than a full size car as my daily driver.

With that said, from what I've seen Americans, in general, are buying smaller vehicles. It might just be in my area (NJ/NY/PA), but not to long ago it seemed like every middle aged woman drove a Tahoe, Explorer, 4Runner, ect. Now I see a lot more small crossovers and sporty/luxury cars. Even guys are buying more cars now that most manufacturers offer AWD models (though pickups are still extremely popular). I think it will be a long time before the streets are filled with smart cars, but a lot of people seem to be looking at smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles. Which, is probably a step in the right direction.

#112041 - 11/09/07 09:51 AM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: Paul810]
LED Offline
Veteran

I guess part of that is based on chance and luck too. Today I don't really like to drive compact cars solely because you're surrounded by SUV's, Pickups, etc., (that could smash you like a bug) and it doesn't feel very secure. But having said that, I grew up riding in a '60 something Mercury sedan with bad brakes, a '78 toyota corolla, an original (rattling) VW diesel Rabbit, and never wore a seat belt till maybe 1985. And don't forget the drinking age was 18, no anti-lock brakes, no air bags, etc, etc. So I guess for me, even surrounded by mega-large SUVs, maybe driving a smart car today is statistically less risky than my entire childhood and adolescence. Who knew?

#112042 - 11/09/07 09:51 AM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: Paul810]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Biggest problem with the smart? It's great for an around town, and as you said, horrid for distance

What does that mean for Most people. Own 2 cars, insure 2 cars, maintain 2 cars.

Is that fiscally and/or ecologiclly sound? Maybe if you need 2 cars anyway.
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#112050 - 11/09/07 01:04 PM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: KG2V]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I saw a few of these on the streets in Brisbane earlier this year. You never saw them anywhere else, like on the highway in or out of town. Definitely not in the Outback!

Since my current commute here in Florida is now about 5 miles through town, I would consider either that or a motorcycle. However, since I am 6'6" and 260+ lbs, I would probably opt for the motorcycle unless it is raining.

#112051 - 11/09/07 01:08 PM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: picard120]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I think they are kind of cool, but if 40 mpg is the best they can do I'd go with something else.

#112053 - 11/09/07 01:40 PM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: norad45]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I see a lot of these on the commuter highways in Alberta, in all weather conditions.

The first ones that came out had a pocket diesel engine that got 70 MPG. It looks like the newer models are gasoline powered, have more horsepower, and sacrifice that killer fuel economy as a result. They should have stayed with the hardcore diesel -- that's the future IMO. Problem is, it increases the cost, which would hurt them in the U.S. market.

Interestingly, when they first came out, a lot of businesses bought them and turned them into mobile billboards. A Hummer or F350 wouldn't turn heads; but these little Smart cars really did.

Who knows, they may be a surprise hit. Remember the VW Beetle? And you won't have to shell out the ridiculous cost of a Prius.

#112055 - 11/09/07 02:08 PM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: norad45]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i saw them in europe a few years ago. great on mileage and a dream to park.

have been waiting.

agree that 40 isn't 70 and we don't have the parking issues europe does.

not sure now.

leave it to the u.s. to take a good thing and make it worse - emission controls, different fuels, crash testing.

why educate drivers on safe driving techniques when we can build 'em tanks to run rampant and they can't hurt themselves no matter the accident?

rant off.

small cars will be in our future. until they hybridize the tanks.

#112060 - 11/09/07 03:23 PM Re: Would Americans buy a Smart car? [Re: bsmith]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I live just outside of D.C. where the congestion and drive times are ridiculous. There are a lot of Minis and other sub-compacts on the road here, so the Smart Car may have a half decent shot.

I've already seen a Smart Car out on the streets in Fairfax County Virginia, but I'm not sure if it was owned, a test model, or what.

It certainly was a head turner that's for sure. People were waving it to cut into heavy traffic just to get a better look.

I thought it was funny that I happened to be leaving a gas station when I got in behind it.

Now, I probably wouldn't buy one because I work from home, rarely drive, usually distance drive when I am on the road, my car gets great gas mileage, and it's paid for.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.