Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111889 - 11/07/07 06:53 PM Wilderness Survival Priorities
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
So, as one might gather from my screen name, I like to hike, and though all survival situations are important to me, my principal interest is wilderness survival.

I'm trying to think of what my priorities should be in a wilderness survival situation. I've (rather quickly) come up with the following broad categories (see below). Feedback appreciated.

Wilderness Survival Priorities:
HOT WEATHER:
1-Medical Issues
2-STOP
3-Electronic Signalling (PLB, Sat Phone, Cell Phone)
4-Water
5-Shade
6-Other Signalling
7-Food

COLD WEATHER:
1-Medical Issues
2-STOP
3-Electronic Signalling (PLB, Sat Phone, Cell Phone)
4-Fire
5-Shelter
6-Water
7-Other Signalling
8-Food

Note: On this forum perhaps it goes without saying, but STOP = Stop, Think, Observe, and Plan

#111899 - 11/07/07 08:30 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Rule of 3's. Then work from there.

#111902 - 11/07/07 08:39 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Misanthrope]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
In hot weather, I would find or get some shelter up for shade, which could reduce your chance of hyperthermia. You can signal (usually) from a shady spot, or at least have it to retreat to afterwards.

And don't forget that areas that are hot by day can get darned cold at night. And 50F is COLD after being in 100F all day.

Three fires in a triangle in the desert at night is a distress signal to most pilots. They can pass your location to authorities.

Sue

#111903 - 11/07/07 08:40 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Misanthrope]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I disagree with the order, but agree with the general content. Sometimes you should get shelter before anything else (for instance, sudden rain/snow storm). Stabilize the situation before you signal for help. Given Murphy's law, that'll be the time you have to change the batteries, smack the side of your toy, hold it upside down with a coat hanger in your other hand, and pray to the electronic gods. I'd rather do that under a rock or something out of the elements.

#111906 - 11/07/07 08:44 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Hikin_Jim]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
I also have an interest in wilderness survival. I like your lists and I agree with the first 2 items on both, but I think that Shelter (Shade is shelter in a hot weather situation) should be third on both lists.

I think of it in the rule of 3s. 3 minutes without air, 3 hours exposed (to excessive heat or cold), 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food, before your body suffers irreparable harm.

Many people survive cold nights when hunkered in a sheltered area witn minimal insulation (i.e. clothing) and no fire. Once the shelter is secured, it can be enhanced with a fire. Then signaling to help SAR find you (either electronic or otherwise, maybe the electronic before the fire if you have a sat phone or cell coverage - and a fire is a signal).

Water is important, especially in a hot situation, but if you have shade you could survive for a couple days waiting for SAR without water. Admittedly, it would not be fun, but if you are in the desert (like I am) you'll waste way more energy and stored water looking for a water source (that you may never find) thus reducing the time SAR would have to find you alive.

I think that both lists are actually the same (you do not include fire on the hot weather list but even then a fire is important for morale and in the desert, the nights can be quite cold even though the days are hot). Food is definately the lowest priority.

#111912 - 11/07/07 09:38 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

STOP is always at the top of my list...I can't tread wounds or medical conditions unless I've let my brain stop spinning for a second.

Shelter is almost always second unless I can put it off as needed for more important things.

#111921 - 11/07/07 11:25 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
In hot weather, I would find or get some shelter up for shade, which could reduce your chance of hyperthermia. You can signal (usually) from a shady spot, or at least have it to retreat to afterwards.

I hear you; good point.

Here's where I'm coming from: I'm trying to come up with some priorities, just things to think about in advance for common wilderness survival/emergency situations. The idea behind putting electronic signalling so high on the list is that it's so fast.

TAKE THE FOLLOWING SCENARIO:
Let's say someone in my group falls and breaks a leg on a hike and it's hot out (90's - 100's). First thing I want to do is to check out if there is anything I need to do immediately (stop bleeding, immobilize head to prevent spinal injury, etc.). Second thing I want to do is STOP, take a deep breath, and start thinking/planning. Third thing I want to do is make a call (or activate the PLB) which only takes a minute or two whereas finding shade/erecting a shelter can take time. That's why my 1, 2, and 3 are what they are.

Given an injury, shade/shelter makes a lot of sense as next on the list.

In an environment similar to the one described above, but absent an injury, I might want to move to a place where I could get water, and then do the shelter/shade thing.

The situation dictates the response a lot more than any list will, which is why I've got STOP only second to immediate medical emergency.

Edited by Hikin_Jim (11/07/07 11:28 PM)

#111925 - 11/08/07 01:10 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I'm getting my winter kit ready for my car right now. In really cold, icy and snowy weather, you don't have to be very far from home to have a bad problem, especially if you have family members who have health or disability issues.... Hint. I could walk out, but my wife would not be able to. Last Winter, we had such serious ice that a "rescue" vehicle could not get into certain areas.

So the car gets extra blankets, shelter, traveling major FAK and the perpetual BOB with food, water, FAK. and FSK. And also use a little common sense about necessary traveling during bad weather.

#111926 - 11/08/07 01:50 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
leaving an itinerary with a responsible party

You've got that right. I leave it in writing: route & destination, items carried, clothing & vehicle info, when I'll be back, and who to call if I con't check in.

#111934 - 11/08/07 04:08 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Priorities [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would put shelter and fire on the same line, and lump all forms of signalling into one- if you need a medical evacuation, then pulling the pin on a PLB would fall under medical. But most of the time, you're just turned around and are better off spending the night in one spot looking and listening for signs and waiting until morning.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 389 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.