Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#111866 - 11/07/07 05:16 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
You would normally have about 3-4 weeks to figure out what your not doing properly in setting up a snare. If you can't figure that out in that time then you should probably adopt the Bear Grylls throwing a stick technique.

3-4 weeks? Maybe that's what it says in some book. But have you ever gone without food for just one week? You'll still be alive, but you'll also be very weak. It's not like you're going to just be sitting on the sofa waiting to snare a rabbit. You're going to be building shelter, searching for water, and doing whatever other tasks the situation demands. All of this will be burning energy, and every single day that you don't eat will make survival more and more unlikely.

I don't gamble, and I especially don't gamble with my life.

The average person can go 40 days without food before drawing on protein reserves.

#111867 - 11/07/07 05:21 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
The average person can go 40 days without food before drawing on protein reserves.

But let's see how much work you are capable of doing after that first week. I saw David Blaine sit in a box for 40 days without food, but how long do you think he would have lasted if he was working instead of sitting?

Try this: Don't eat anything for the next seven days. And during those 7 days, I want you to be doing physical labor. Then come back here and tell me how important food really is.

#111868 - 11/07/07 05:36 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If you work, you'll last less. Once your body goes into a 'fasting' mode (a week to 10 days) you no longer feel hunger. Your body changes and feeds on itself.

#111869 - 11/07/07 05:47 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

I think what hes talking about is is a survival situation( he said "just in case the day ever comes when I need to.")if thats the case, I doubt the local game warden would have the time to track him down, he would be to busy taking care of his own needs.As far as learning now, I would suggest reading books, practice setting the snares, learn where the best places to set them are, learn from someone that already knows.
Raydarkhorse, Hacksaw and Blaze hit the nail on the head.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#111871 - 11/07/07 05:59 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The biggest thing to learn beforehand is the habits, preferences, and tendencies of the animals you want to trap.

But why are you bothering with snares? I you're in the country already, you could lay in a store of proper quick-kill traps and start working with them.

For that matter, you could lay in some live-catch traps. If you develop techniques that work with those, you'll be well prepared for tougher times.

(Hmm, and if you could live trap hares, a buck and a couple of does, that's possibly an endless protein supply ...)

#111872 - 11/07/07 06:03 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
If you work, you'll last less. Once your body goes into a 'fasting' mode (a week to 10 days) you no longer feel hunger. Your body changes and feeds on itself.

"Your body feeds on itself." That hardly seems like something that would increase one's chances of survival.

It seems to me that one who has eaten has a better chance of survival than one who is starving. Maybe the starvation in the 40 day period wouldn't be what directly caused an injury or death, but it is potentially a contributing factor.

I wonder if anyone here can provide a link to either studies or stories of survival and the role food played.

Anecdotally, I've gotten so cold in a non survival situation that I couldn't sleep and was miserable. I got up, ate something, warmed right back up, and slept soundly. It's hard to believe that food doesn't play a significant role in survival.

The knowledge that people can last somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 days w/o food does however seem like it might help the informed from giving up hope.

Lastly, while I definitely would not place food first on my list of survival priorities, I think it's a mistake to discount it.

#111873 - 11/07/07 06:04 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Well, I just have one more thing to say in this thread, and then I'm done with it.

The longest I have ever gone without any food whatsoever was 72 hours. I was not in a survival situation. I was just testing myself. I do physical labor for a living. So during those 72 hours I did 24 hours of labor (8 hours a day).

I was completely worn out.

So let's imagine that it's been a week since I last ate. I've been working hard the entire week. I had to build a shelter. I had to collect firewood regularly. I had to search for water. And I've been putting a lot of effort into trying to get some food. Luckily for me the weather has been perfect so my life has been easy in that regard (god help me if I was both starving and freezing).

At that point my body is screaming, and no doubt my mental state is slipping somewhat. That's a BAD situation to be in. I don't give a damn what anyone says in their survival book. As far as I'm concerned, food is just as important as water.

#111874 - 11/07/07 06:11 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A similar approach could also be taken when fishing, use a reel and rod to catch fish or use a Gill net. Gill nets are much more efficient ways of catching fish, indeed so efficient thats why they are illegal in many places.

Hunting using legal methods are there for a reason. Most inhumane ways of killing wildlife are illegal. The reasoning behind this is that any method of killing and capturing animals which is indescriminate is illegal, so is the long and lingering painful death of the animal, which has happened to come across your snare. The Gill net is indiscriminate and so is the snare. Snaring is a cruel method of hunting if it can be called hunting in its sporting sense at all.

I would suggest taking up Ironravens points. Take note of your local, state or national hunting legislation. Don't fall foul of the law and if the skills you require for long term survival are really required then legal hunting is probably the best way to go. Same with the legal methods of fishing using a rod and reel.
By doing this you will know the behaviour and locations of the animals and fish you are legally hunting in much more detail. This knowledge is much more important that knowing how to tie some wire to a stick pushed into the ground.

#111875 - 11/07/07 06:11 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Rationing food is one of the worst things you can do. If you eat less than your body needs each day your body will begin burning fat but won't do so in a proper 'fasting' mode and you'll last way less than 40 days...and you'll always feel hungry and miserable. You should eat the food you have early and use that energy to build a good shelter and collect a boat load of firewood...then relax and conserve energy while waiting to signal that plane or boat. If you expect to be out longer than 40 days, then the whole scenario changes.

The information I have on this comes from the courses I've taken at the Boreal Institute. There is also a fantastic book about this kind of information but I forget the name...I'll post it when I get home.

#111880 - 11/07/07 06:27 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Rationing food is one of the worst things you can do. If you eat less than your body needs each day your body will begin burning fat but won't do so in a proper 'fasting' mode and you'll last way less than 40 days...and you'll always feel hungry and miserable. You should eat the food you have early and use that energy to build a good shelter and collect a boat load of firewood...

Now that is the most counter intuitive thing I've ever heard, but if correct highly important. Please do post that book title.

HJ

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.