Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#111931 - 11/08/07 03:58 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Nu-uh. If you have the food, eat.

Having fasted before for religious reasons, I can tell you flat out that while I might have been closer to the spirits, my brain was fuzzy. Think three week old kiwi fruit in the back of the fridge fuzzy. People who have observed me after fasting and while intoxicated say that my hand-eye coordination, awareness of my surroundings and general level of brilliance is BETTER when I was drunk rather than if I hadn't eaten for three days. Think about that. I wouldn't let someone who was intoxicated have car keys or a firearm. I wouldn't let them take out a boat or go climbing, even if I had to knock them down and sit on them until they passed out. No way would I want to let someone that dingy have to make judgement calls in a survival situation if I had any other option.

Remember, your brain doesn't run on protein or fat, your body has to turn that into glucose, and if you don't have it, you're not making the best possible judgment calls. If you need to convert fat into glucose, then you need to eat for it to be effective- trust me, I've accepted that I'm a big boy, diets can't work if you can't exercise and won't work if you don't eat. If you don't eat, you're body goes into emergency mode. If you do eat, only a little, it is like tinder, it lets you metabolize the stored energy in your fat cells much more effectively.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111932 - 11/08/07 04:01 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but around here snares ARE legal for certain species. So are dead falls so long as they don't have spikes.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111933 - 11/08/07 04:04 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Absolutely.

If one person says you suck, big deal, stick around. Before too long, you'll be returning the favor. I've only seen a few times when everyone said someone sucked. :P

#111960 - 11/08/07 04:59 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: ironraven]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Rationing food is one of the worst things you can do. If you eat less than your body needs each day your body will begin burning fat but won't do so in a proper 'fasting' mode and you'll last way less than 40 days...and you'll always feel hungry and miserable. You should eat the food you have early and use that energy to build a good shelter and collect a boat load of firewood...

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Nu-uh. If you have the food, eat.

please note that the preceeding is a cut and paste and is not the exact order of posts and replies

It seems we have a difference of opinion here. To ration or not to ration, that is the question. Anyone have anything definitive? Yes, we do have that book reference about 5 posts back (Survival: How To Prevail in Hostile Environments by Xavier Maniguet), but I mean anything we can link to here?

#111968 - 11/08/07 05:27 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Post deleted by norad45.

Edited by norad45 (11/08/07 06:25 PM)

#111970 - 11/08/07 05:33 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: norad45]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Let's not have the forum degenerate into national/personal attacks.

#111974 - 11/08/07 06:12 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My apologies for the inappropriate remarks regarding this thread. I have deleted my previous post.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/08/07 06:13 PM)

#111980 - 11/08/07 06:43 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

Maybe not definitive but here's my 2¢:

It depends on the situation.

I would say that if you're stuck in a life raft, not expending much energy, and not sure of a rescue timeframe it would be a good time to ration.

If your scenario involves cold weather and/or increased activity (like fuel gathering) rationing may not be in your best interest.

Another determining factor is your available resources. How much food do you to start with and can you augment your supplies from the environment? Also, how long will it be before somebody comes looking for you? What kind of weather conditions are you facing?

IMHO you can only have an initial plan and be aware that you may need to deviate from it. You have to know your options and when to implement them.

I tend to agree with your line of reasoning.

In a situation such as the life raft you mention above, there has been some debate here whether it's better to:
a) Eat your food (relatively) normally and then let your body go into total starvation mode.
or
b) Ration your food, stretching it out over a longer time period.

I've always generally thought option "B" was the way to go, but some here have argued that the body will actually do better under option "A."

Anyone have any linkable info on this?

#112024 - 11/09/07 03:02 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I think you're absolutely on the right track, CityBoy. Take the link Blast gave you, the legal advice (area regulations) others mentioned, get some snare wire, study the trails, scat, etc., and have at it! I'd second Ironraven's advice to learn to gut, skin, and clean (if you don;t already know how - probably do) because anything you snare, you might as well eat.

Start with rabbits, I'd say. They're relatively easy to snare and you should have one in a couple of days if you set multiple traps out.

We use fero flints, steel wool, tinder quicks, cotton balls and vaseline, and all kinds of other stuff while there's a BIC in our pocket! Of course we practice. Don;t let anybody (but legal regs) get you down....trap on! I'm with you - I decided looong ago I wasn;t going to wait until I needed the skill to learn it!

Edited by Stretch (11/09/07 03:05 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.