Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#111883 - 11/07/07 06:35 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I wonder if anyone here can provide a link to either studies or stories of survival and the role food played.

In 1945, several dozen American conscientious objectors
volunteered to starve themselves under medical supervision. The
goal was to learn how health might be restored after World War II
to the wasted populations of Europe. What the volunteers
endured—and what broke them—sheds light on starvation.

The 17-page report is here.

Everyone on this board should read this report. It goes into deep detail about the short/long term mental and physical changes that happened to a group of healthy people who chose to starved in the name of science.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111884 - 11/07/07 06:35 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Well, I just have one more thing to say in this thread, and then I'm done with it.

The longest I have ever gone without any food whatsoever was 72 hours. I was not in a survival situation. I was just testing myself. I do physical labor for a living. So during those 72 hours I did 24 hours of labor (8 hours a day).

I was completely worn out.

So let's imagine that it's been a week since I last ate. I've been working hard the entire week. I had to build a shelter. I had to collect firewood regularly. I had to search for water. And I've been putting a lot of effort into trying to get some food. Luckily for me the weather has been perfect so my life has been easy in that regard (god help me if I was both starving and freezing).

At that point my body is screaming, and no doubt my mental state is slipping somewhat. That's a BAD situation to be in. I don't give a damn what anyone says in their survival book. As far as I'm concerned, food is just as important as water.

I hear you, and my thinking is along those lines entirely.

I still think that water out weighs food though. On a recent hike, I got fairly dehydrated (my friend was in a hurry and didn't want to stop and filter). I was feeling a little woozy, not hiking well, and feeling quite exhausted. I finally insisted that we stop irrespective of the time since we were about to leave the canyon bottom and tackle a three mile up hill stretch. We drank heavilly, including a liter mixed with electrolyte mix, and refilled our bottles. A little while later, I stopped feeling woozy, and actually climbed the up hill section (a couple thousand feet of gain) better than I had been walking in the relatively flat canyon bottom.

Food: important, way more important in a survival situation than the "conventional wisdom."
Water: still more important than food.

One man's opinion. smile

HJ

#111887 - 11/07/07 06:50 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
The original thread was asking how to get started snaring for "SURVIVAL" situations. If your life depends on using this technique then who cares what the law is. The only reason the law comes into it at all at this point is so you don't go to jail for practicing. If your life is in jeopardy then the feelings of potential meals are secondary the feeling of those who depend on you. I will admit that for most, actually surviving off the land is a very remote possibility. However the whole idea of this forum is to pass along ideas and tips on equipment to enhance our chances.

#111901 - 11/07/07 08:36 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Blast
In 1945, several dozen American conscientious objectors
volunteered to starve themselves under medical supervision. The
goal was to learn how health might be restored after World War II
to the wasted populations of Europe. What the volunteers
endured—and what broke them—sheds light on starvation.

The 17-page report is here.

The summary of the Minnesota Experiment is really interesting. It doesn't talk about the role of food or lack thereof in survival situations, but I was able to gather the following:

• The human body really wants to eat.
  • Lack of eating is really hard on the body
  • Lack of eating is even harder on the mind
  • The psychological trauma of not eating is frequently permanent

The impact of starvation is pretty major. In the context of this thread, all the more reason to put just a bit more emphasis on food in one's survival priorities.

#111905 - 11/07/07 08:43 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think it's important to note that the men who took part in the Minnesota Experiment weren't fasting.

They were intentionally provided an inadequate amount of food for a 6 month duration...this to me is like rationing food and what I've been told never to do.

It is however a very interesting read.

#111909 - 11/07/07 08:53 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare...Starvation [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

My rule is to only ration food to meet the BMR+extras (cold, work, etc)...not to make it last as long as possible. If I can't eat that much it's better to not eat at all...on the less than 40 days scale anyhow.

#111913 - 11/07/07 09:42 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Cityboygonecountry

Your going to learn one thing quick about this forum, everyone has their own opinion and it might not be the same as yours or what you want to hear. Most of the time the original post doesn't reflect the majority of the replies. I know from experience this happens more than not. I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a few topics on this entire forum that have actually stayed on trac.Take in the info sort out the garbage keep what you need, then laugh it off. Good luck and hang in there.

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (11/07/07 09:44 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#111916 - 11/07/07 10:10 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Shadow_oo00]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Cityboygonecountry

Your going to learn one thing quick about this forum, everyone has their own opinion and it might not be the same as yours or what you want to hear. Most of the time the original post doesn't reflect the majority of the replies. I know from experience this happens more than not. I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a few topics on this entire forum that have actually stayed on trac.Take in the info sort out the garbage keep what you need, then laugh it off. Good luck and hang in there.

Excellent advice (unless it's my avice ;))

Edited by raydarkhorse (11/07/07 10:11 PM)

#111923 - 11/08/07 12:08 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: raydarkhorse]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Survival: How To Prevail in Hostile Environments by Xavier Maniguet

I haven't had the pleasure of reading the whole book but it was written in 1988 (in french) and more recently translated to english. I really liked what I've read because there's a lot of science involved. If I'm not mistaken Maniguet is a doctor and has a lot to say about both the physiology and psychology of survival.

#111928 - 11/08/07 03:28 AM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Back to the subject. The best way to learn trapping and snaring is to get someone with experiance to take you out and actually teach you. Baring that read what you can and then practice to see what works in your area. As what work in one place may be totally wrong in another. One size does not always fit all.

Here is a very good source of trapping information.
Buckshot's Camp

Buckshot is and experiance trapper and a fellow prepper.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.