Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#111842 - 11/07/07 03:49 PM I want to learn how to snare...
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I'm not a hunter. I get all my meat from the grocery store. But I want to learn how, just in case the day ever comes when I need to. I live in the country. On my land I've seen rabbits, raccoons, opposums, squirrels, armadillos, and even deer. I need go no further than my own backyard to practice.

So my question is... how do I get started?

#111844 - 11/07/07 03:55 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

There are many good books with technique...many of them survival books.

The most important thing you need to do is actually do it! Practice and go through with it all the way now so that when you have to it's not new.

#111845 - 11/07/07 04:07 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
First there are so many different types of snares and traps, you need to determine what type/size of critters your going to be going after. The animals in the area you will be doing this in will largely determine this. Second will they be ground dwellers, tree dwellers or both. After you decide what your going after, the best way would be to find someone who has done this before and have them show you. But seeing that you’re asking here I suppose thats probably not going to work. Second best is to look on the Internet or our local library there are some instructional videos and books that can show you how to do it. After you watch a few videos or read the books, go out to the nearest patch of woods (after checking local regs.) and try out your new knowledge and turn it into a new skill. One word though be patient it will take several tries to get it right.

#111847 - 11/07/07 04:09 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making by Gibson
This is a html file of an excellent book from the 1800's.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (11/07/07 04:11 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111848 - 11/07/07 04:20 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So my question is... how do I get started?

Snaring is a particularly cruel way of killing animals. You should only get started only when you're life depends on it. And if your interested in larger game you should be prepared for the possibility of criminal prosecution by Wildlife and Animal protection services if your lucky and by the Poilce if you're unlucky and you've snared someone rather than something.

#111849 - 11/07/07 04:22 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

A properly set up snare would never snare a person...unless that were the purpose of the snare.

#111850 - 11/07/07 04:24 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
You should only get started only when you're life depends on it.

When my life depends on it would be a pretty bad time to start learning, don't you think? I might starve to death before I figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

#111855 - 11/07/07 04:40 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
When my life depends on it would be a pretty bad time to start learning, don't you think? I might starve to death before I figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

You would normally have about 3-4 weeks to figure out what your not doing properly in setting up a snare. If you can't figure that out in that time then you should probably adopt the Bear Grylls throwing a stick technique.

#111857 - 11/07/07 04:55 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
First step that a lot of people have missed is a consult with your state's fish and game agency- you might have seasons and trapping permits to worry about. This isn't the real thing, and should be conducted within the law- it covers you.

Second, you aren't snaring deer in most places. Not legally, and poaching for larger animals usually is more trouble than most people want to be in. If you ever NEED to snare deer, you scale up, try a different type of trap, or learn to hunt.

Third, learn to skin. Buy a few live rabbits and chickens, kill them (throttle or machete), and clean them. If you can't do that, you shouldn't worry about this yet.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111861 - 11/07/07 05:02 PM Re: I want to learn how to snare... [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
You would normally have about 3-4 weeks to figure out what your not doing properly in setting up a snare. If you can't figure that out in that time then you should probably adopt the Bear Grylls throwing a stick technique.

3-4 weeks? Maybe that's what it says in some book. But have you ever gone without food for just one week? You'll still be alive, but you'll also be very weak. It's not like you're going to just be sitting on the sofa waiting to snare a rabbit. You're going to be building shelter, searching for water, and doing whatever other tasks the situation demands. All of this will be burning energy, and every single day that you don't eat will make survival more and more unlikely.

I don't gamble, and I especially don't gamble with my life.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.