The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111596 - 11/06/07 01:27 AM Some kind of heat-resistant pad
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The soda can stove, the aluminum beer bottle stove, the coffee can/toilet paper stove, and more.

Your vehicle is stuck in the snow, no damage, just stuck. And night is falling and there's no one around. Stay till morning and deal with it in daylight. The wife and kids are kind of nervous.

(We won't point out that you're rubbing your hands together in glee, FINALLY able to use some of your gear, and justify your buying sprees to your wife.)

You pull out your trusty bug-home bag and plan to use the little stove to heat some water for cocoa and occasionally to warm up the car (fool, you let the gas tank run low, so you don't want to use the car heater to do that).

But what do you put the stove on? I'm sure at least part of it will be hot, maybe all of it (the beer bottle stove review guy said it does). I can see a square of plywood that fits the armrest thing between the front seats, but wood burns. What do you put on top of the wood and under the stove?

Sue

#111600 - 11/06/07 01:44 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Susan]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
You might have something already in the vehicle that could be used. Some jacks have a metal base that you could use, or perhaps a hubcap, if it's metal. (We made a small fire in a hubcap for tailgating "back in the day".) On an older car, the metal cover that goes over the air filter mounted atop the carb would be a nice (although possibly dirty) base.

Of course, you could bring a dedicated item for this purpose, but, just thought you might want to consider things on your vehicle that would do the trick rather than extra kit. Think about how you'd improvise before you need to...

- Ron

#111613 - 11/06/07 03:16 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Be_Prepared]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
I'm not familiar with the "Beer Bottle Stove", but wood would be safe as a base up to about 400deg. Unless the entire stove got that hot I don't think you would have a problem.

#111632 - 11/06/07 10:40 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Susan]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
What about a piece of silicone cooking mat? We use them all the time to set just-sterilized instruments on until they cool....

#111768 - 11/07/07 01:55 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: JohnnyUpton]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...

#111777 - 11/07/07 02:30 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If it is sticking with the car, a small piece of plywood works fine. Doesn't have to be huge, you just have to not mind it that will be a little scorched looking after a few uses.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111785 - 11/07/07 03:16 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: ironraven]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm, just to go back to the original scenario: I'm not sure it would be wise to use anything but a couple of candles to warm the interior of a vehicle. Too much flammable stuff in there, and not enough air. You would need to crack a window for ventilation anyway; the more smoke generated, the more ventilation needed, so you'd lose the extra heat. Stoves belong outside. I'd put a tarp off one side of the car, bottom enclosed with snow, for a stove (and/or bathroom) nook out of the wind. That's my take.

But back to the question:

If you were serious about the plywood, you could staple/tack a layer or two of aluminum on top of it, shiny side out. This will reflect the IR and conduct heat away from the wood. Free sources: pop cans, scraps of flashing from construction.

#111794 - 11/07/07 03:52 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Susan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The beer can stove won;t set the wood on fire, just scorch it. I'm going out in the shop right now and burn an ounce on a piece of mahogany (an ounce IN the stove). Give me ten minutes.

#111797 - 11/07/07 04:09 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Ok.
Base: 3/4" x 7.5" x 4" piece of Honduras Mahogany.
Stove: modified beer can.
Fuel: .67 ounce of 100% denatured alcohol
Burn-Time: 9 minutes, 15 seconds
Damage: none. no scorching. barely warm to the touch under the can.
Pictures: tomorrow

#111798 - 11/07/07 04:13 AM Re: Some kind of heat-resistant pad [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

I'm thinking I'll try plastic as a base. The flooring carpet shouldn;t even scorch (that sounds dangerous though smile ). The aluminum cans get too hot to handle, of course, but not really hot enough (ESPECIALLY at the bottom of the can) to scorch or burn things. THe biggest threat would be from spillage or something over the top....like hair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 190 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.