Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#111574 - 11/05/07 11:14 PM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Paul810]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Paul810,

What is your pocket arrangement for your EDC??

I have a Surefire and it has the tendency to scratch things unless it gets its own pocket.

Edited by Rusty (11/05/07 11:14 PM)

#111586 - 11/06/07 12:31 AM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Rusty]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Interesting. Sounds like something on this order is a pretty workable idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the object between your wallet and your keys? Also, on your key ring you have a stubby cylindarical object. May I ask what that is (or what is it in it)?

The thing in the middle is my Verizon Chocolate cell phone. Real POS though, so it's going bye-bye soon. Probably being replaced with thier mil-spec G'zOne phone.

The thin round thing on the keys (on the left) in a silver whistle. The fat round thing on the keys (more towards the middle) is a pill fob that contains a spare battery for the Surefire and some cotten/vas tinder.

Originally Posted By: Rusty
Paul810,

What is your pocket arrangement for your EDC??

I have a Surefire and it has the tendency to scratch things unless it gets its own pocket.

The Surefire and keys go in my left front pocket. My right front pocket has my wallet and one of the knives clipped to it (I switch between the Charge and BM 707). The watch pocket holds my cell phone. One of my back pockets holds the bandanna.

The only one that's kind of out of place is the phone, it makes the wallet, and sometimes the knife, a bit hard to get out and in quickly. With my next phone I'll probably end up getting a case for my belt.

The surefire does scuff the keys up a little bit, but I haven't had any problems with it ruining any.

#111587 - 11/06/07 12:35 AM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Paul810]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
You haven't had any problems with the Surefire's lens getting scratched? I was carrying a little Gerber AA LED light on my belt in a pouch but felt too nerdy in my office setting. Switched to a necklace mounted squeeze LED, but would go back to the Gerber in a quick minute if I thought I could pocket carry without damage.

#111599 - 11/06/07 01:39 AM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
You haven't had any problems with the Surefire's lens getting scratched? I was carrying a little Gerber AA LED light on my belt in a pouch but felt too nerdy in my office setting. Switched to a necklace mounted squeeze LED, but would go back to the Gerber in a quick minute if I thought I could pocket carry without damage.

That's why I pay a bit extra for the Surefire lights, over, say, a Gerber or other cheaper light. Surefire uses thick sapphire coated tempered pyrex glass (similar to what expensive watches use for their crystal, but even thicker and tougher). Unless you're carrying sapphires or diamonds in your pocket it's very tough to scratch it. grin

It's tough to explain to most people why some of us pay extra for that Benchmade knife or a Surefire light, when there are plenty of other cheaper options out there that do the same thing. But, for me it's those little details, like not scratching the lens when I throw it in my pocket even after 5+ years of daily carry, that make it worth it. wink

#111604 - 11/06/07 02:06 AM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bmo Offline

I assume you mean the Gerber Infinity? It goes in my pocket when I get home and on the weekends. It is in my pocket with keys or the other pocket with a TAD Gear Life Capsule, both are pretty abrasive. The finish hasn't stood up so well (silver starting to show through the finish due to wear) but the LED bulb is no worse off. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind replacing it with a Surefire, but it does the job when I'm walking the dog.

#111623 - 11/06/07 04:39 AM Re: Bare Minimum EDC... [Re: benjammin]
norhumco Offline

Loc: Penngrove, CA
SAK Companion
Leatherman P4 Squirt
Gerber LST
DR Mini RSK
Leatherman Wave (90% of the time)
Bandana
Mini Bic
One Tablet Gas-X (sometimes....)
Cell phone
Wallet w/ $50 emergency cash
Fisher Bullet Pen in wallet
Watch

#111624 - 11/06/07 04:40 AM Re: Bare Minimum EDC... [Re: norhumco]
norhumco Offline

Loc: Penngrove, CA
I forgot the Photon on my keyring

#111677 - 11/06/07 05:03 PM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Paul810]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Paul810

That's why I pay a bit extra for the Surefire lights, over, say, a Gerber or other cheaper light. Surefire uses thick sapphire coated tempered pyrex glass (similar to what expensive watches use for their crystal, but even thicker and tougher). Unless you're carrying sapphires or diamonds in your pocket it's very tough to scratch it. grin

It's tough to explain to most people why some of us pay extra for that Benchmade knife or a Surefire light, when there are plenty of other cheaper options out there that do the same thing. But, for me it's those little details, like not scratching the lens when I throw it in my pocket even after 5+ years of daily carry, that make it worth it. wink

That's quite a testimonial for the Surefire. I've got so many freakin' flashlights it's not even funny. Of course what would one more hurt ... smile

#111693 - 11/06/07 06:16 PM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, I love my Surefire too, I have a E1L. It's actually "too bright" sometimes, so I ordered the red lens to pop on the top. It protects the bulb, and allows me to keep my night vision when I do something basic and quick (like walking the dog, midnight nature calls, etc).

That being said, I'm in love with my Fenix. Same battery, LOTS better life to it, plus adjustable light output.

Now on to the main topic...
My EDC is in flux, I did have a Gerber Tempo, RangerRick 1-hand lighter, SAK classic, and small pill fob on a key loop. Problem was, it didn't fit well in my pocket. On my keychain, was a Inova microlight and SOG micro tool (with the scissors). But, too bulky for comfort carry.

Currently, the Inova and SAK are on my keys. The SOG is in my pocket, with my cell phone. Wallet, with a small Fisher space pent. I'm debating carrying the Gerber light (or even the Fenix). Haven't decided on the RR 1-hander. Since I just bought one of the metal Spark-like's on Ebay, I might drill a hold through it and throw it on my keychaing.

#111726 - 11/06/07 09:06 PM Re: BSA Hot Spark [Re: MDinana]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I wonder if a Spark Lite wouldn't get fouled by lint in pocket carry.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.