Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111639 - 11/06/07 01:25 PM Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Can anyone reccomend interesting stuff in Anaheim? I'll be heading there for a conference in a few weeks. Mainly I'm looking for camping gear shops, military surplus, gun/knife shops, canoe/kayak shops, book stores, and interesting museums.

A nice pub would good, to. grin

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111641 - 11/06/07 01:39 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You're from TX and you're looking for a gun/knife shop in CA? crazy I'm sure the hotel can point you to a good pub/brewery cool

#111653 - 11/06/07 02:40 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
REI: 55 Fwy at McFadden, in Santa Ana. From the convention center, take Katella to the 5 fwy, head south. Merge to 55 south, but stay in the right lane. It spits you directly onto McFadden. Turn left at the stop sign into the parking lot. Apparently there's on in Huntington Beach, but I haven't been to that one yet.

Army-Navy Stores: Orange Circle (they filmed "That Thing You Do" there). Take Katella Rd east from the convention center, turn right on Glassell. It takes you to the Circle. The store is on Glassell, on the south side of the circle.
There's also a decent one on Pacific Coast Hwy. Take 55 south till it deadends, onto Newport Ave. Keep heading south, then take PCH North (or west). It merges on the right, just south of Hoag Hospital.

Book stores: Sorry, it's mainly Borders and Barnes & Noble.

Gun Shops: The orange A-N store has them. Really, just look in the yellow pages. There's not a LOT of them, and most are pretty dull. There IS one I liked on Beach Blvd, just south of the 22 Fwy. From the convention center, head south on Harbor, take 22 west, exit south on Beach. It's not on Beach, but it's on one of the major intersections (sorry, I don't remember the street and I'm in Detroit for the year). Northeast corner. Also, Guns & Grants, in Newport. Take the same direction as above down to Newport Ave. It'll be on your right, about 3/4 mile after the 55 Fwy ends.

I can also point out lots of shopping malls, beaches, other things in SoCal. So can a few others here!

Edited by MDinana (11/06/07 06:05 PM)

#111655 - 11/06/07 02:45 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I was in Riverside last year, and was only able to find one military surplus shop after looking for a week. They are not the most PC places and southern Ca. is all about PC. Big 5 was the best kind of sporting goods store I could find. Short on hunting, fishing, canping and hiking supplies. Heavy on rock climbing and biking (except the bikes) gear.

#111663 - 11/06/07 03:27 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Blast
military surplus, gun/knife shops,
Thanks.
-Blast

Crap, iced tea all over the monitor again. Curse you! grin

#111676 - 11/06/07 05:02 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Stu]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

For camping/hiking/kayaking shops, your best bet is REI in Tustin or for a little more high end stuff, Adventure 16 in Costa Mesa.

The military surplus shops aren't that great around that area. Mostly the cheap, overpriced new crap that caters to the young kids trying to look grunge. Gun stores probably don't even compare to the ones in Texas, but if you wanna see what we have to put up with, there's a Turners outdoorsman in Orange or Fountain Valley which isn't too far (by Socal standards).

Surefire is located in Fountain Valley also. There's not much of a store or showroom, but there is a will call window if you want to order anything online and pick it up. And as long as your out there, might as well check out Fry's electctronics right around the corner, it's an electronics superstore with almost any type of electronic item you can imagine.

If you're willing to make the drive, they just opened a new Bass Pro shops in Rancho Cucamongo. It's the closest thing we have to a Cabelas.

#111690 - 11/06/07 06:03 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: NightHiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
The only place that I've been to in the area that's worth recommending is Major Surplus & Survival just off of the 110 in Compton.

You're recommending a tall, lanky white guy go to Compton?????
Are you mad? eek

#111691 - 11/06/07 06:08 PM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Good suggestions so far. I won't have a car so that limits me somewhat. The Major Surplus & Survival store looks awesome. Lord knows I love their catalogs. But Compton is bad on whitey? Hmm, may have to think about that. What if I bring a basketball?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#111766 - 11/07/07 01:43 AM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Without a car you don't want to even think of going from the area of Waltyworld to Compton, day or night. Cab would cost a fortune, and how would you carry all the treasures you bought on a bus???

#111770 - 11/07/07 02:06 AM Re: Mouse-free places of interest in Anaheim, CA? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

LOL! You're going to be BORED. There's not a whole lot within easy walking distance, a bus takes forever, and cabs are like $2 for the first 1/5 mile and .45 per quarter after that. And everything is always 20 miles away (doesn't matter if it's next door). With a grip of traffic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.