Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#110645 - 10/30/07 02:13 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Rusty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Try it. So long as they stay dry, I don't see why not. But as much as I like ziplocks, I don't always trust them.

The danger is when you go for a swim or get caught in the rain. Rain gets in with the bullion cubes, you get bullion. If the rain gets in, the bag has failed. Failed bag let rain in, will let bullion out. Assuming that the outter bag mostly works, then you get survival kit stew with a base of bullion. Everything smells and tastes like bullion.

Bears like bullion. So do skunks, racoons, porcupines, and perversely enough, chipmunks and squirrels. Probably catamounts and bobcats, to. No one you want interested in your survival kit. And it would be worse if you wore some of the stew. smile

The only think I'm more protective in terms of water getting in is matches and my FAK.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#110647 - 10/30/07 02:18 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: ironraven]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
That makes sense. why do so many people put Bullion cubes in there BOB's (including DR)??

Plus Bullion has at least some actual broth material in it (i.e. chicken broth for chicken bullion etc.). I thought the Ramen seasoning packs were, well... seasoning? I thought the idea of having bullion cubes was to have a "ready" broth to add to something else ( meat, etc...)?????

#110649 - 10/30/07 02:24 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Rusty]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I had bullion cubes in my first couple survival kits as a Scout, they were pooly sealed and leaked all over everything (big mess). They also take a long time to desolve into broth, since then I found small, sealed packets of powdered bullion that are not only package better, they are easier to use.

Mike

#110651 - 10/30/07 02:29 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Where did you find those packets of bullion??

Boy, I'm glad you guys told me about the Bullion cube weakness!! At least I only "wasted" a whopping $1.00 or so on the 2 packs of 8 cubes!!!

#110652 - 10/30/07 02:32 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Rusty]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Ramen seasoning packets basically are powdered bullion, plus herbs. I guess dessicated parsley is an herb. :P Plus they come in more flavors.

It is in there for morale, and to help with the seasoning of other foods. Give me a seasoning packet, say spicey beef, a couple of field mice, a bit of wild onion and a small cattail tuber, stick in coals in some foil, I've got good stew.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#110653 - 10/30/07 02:34 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: ironraven]
CBTENGR Offline

I included the ramen packs not cubes, I just thought it was easier to list them as cubes. You gave me that advice awhile back on a separate topic. Thank you for that as I have since switched all of the cubes in my other kits.

#110656 - 10/30/07 02:43 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Rusty]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Rusty,

I found them at the local grocery store about 10 years ago.

I just walked into the kitchen and have the box in front of me right now, it says; Knorr OXO Boullion Sachets. Each "sachet" is slightly larger that an alcohol wipe packet and the box contains 16 of them (chicken or beef flavour), I think the box was about $2.00. I use them regularly when I make stews or soup, I cannot remember if I they are stocked in the spices or soup store isle?

Good hunting,

Mike

#110657 - 10/30/07 02:45 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike!!

I'll look for them next time i'm at the store. If i can't find them, i'll just get some Ramen noodles (for the seasoning packets).

#110660 - 10/30/07 03:05 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Rusty]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Rusty
That makes sense. why do so many people put Bullion cubes in there BOB's (including DR)??

First off, I no longer use "cubes," I use the little very low sodium bullion packets from Herb-Ox (unless I am putting together a "vegetarian" kit). These have the advantage of being sealed in foil, dissolve much quicker than the cubes, almost instantly, and are much, much lower salt. Vacuum packing the bullion, especially if cubes, is the way to go.

The bullion gives you a very compact means of providing a welcome morale boosting hot drink which stores well.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#110664 - 10/30/07 03:15 AM Re: Christmas Present Survival Kit [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Doug!!

I'll look for the Herb-Ox Bullion.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.