The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111370 - 11/04/07 03:07 PM Re: came across a hapless hiker [Re: DougM]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
It's a shame that ETS isn't REQUIRED STUDYING before these people take to the outdoors......then again who am I kidding....even if they read these posts, it would still mean that they would have to be able to learn from someone else's mistakes.....seems to me that they need to experience (themselves) something MASSIVELY traumatic to gain even a modicum of an idea....

#111373 - 11/04/07 04:31 PM Re: came across a hapless hiker [Re: CJK]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
IMO, it is more basic. Who is in control of your and your family's safety? You or someone else? I feel, and think everyone on this forum feels: "I am." Yet, I have met many people who think it is someone else. . .don't understand it, but there it is.

#111498 - 11/05/07 05:17 PM Re: came across a hapless hiker [Re: bws48]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
There are a lot of clueless people in the world; God bless 'em. A lot of people in urban environments are so used to 24x7 convenience stores, continuous cell phone access, etc. What's the point in planning or being prepared? Just get it as you need it; there's continuous availability. I doubt it's conscious. It's the way it's always been; this is the nature of things.

It just doesn't occur them that suddenly the nature of things has changed. You can't just duck into the nearest building if a shower hits or you're cold. There is no fire department that you can call and have be there in under 10 minutes. It's now all up to you. I actually have a bit of grace for folks like this who just don't know any better while still shaking my head and saying to myself, "what were they thinking?"

Of course, I indict myself as well, city dweller that I am. I went on vacation in Utah last Memorial Day. I didn't bring all that much in the way of everyday food (emergency stuff, yes, but not the everyday stuff). Every town has a grocery store, right? Um, no. Maybe in Los Angeles, County, California, but in the hinterlands of Utah, it ain't necessarily so. A bit of a culture shock to be told that the little convenience type store in town was it and that the nearest grocery store was about an hour and a half drive away. Ah, life. smile Well, if you can't laugh at yourself once in a while, life can become a pretty grim business. Live and learn. I'm just glad that I lived long enough to get on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.