Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111033 - 11/01/07 04:47 PM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: ame]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

When I still had a car to drive, I kept my camping setup in the trunk. The bug netting I used for my hammock was big enough to cover my windows when draped over the roof.

I like the idea of magnets on netting to cover the window. Seems like it would take up a lot less space than my bulky netting.

#111050 - 11/01/07 06:07 PM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: hamilton]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hamilton
When I still had a car to drive, I kept my camping setup in the trunk. The bug netting I used for my hammock was big enough to cover my windows when draped over the roof.

I like the idea of magnets on netting to cover the window. Seems like it would take up a lot less space than my bulky netting.

The magnet setup may be less bulky but tossing the whole thing over the roof is a good idea. REI has large mosquito nets for about $15. @10'X 12' rolled up isn't too compact but the simplicity and multi-use capability is nice.

#111252 - 11/03/07 02:23 AM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: ame]
DOGSOFWAR Offline
Stranger

I knew a guy in the 70's who bought an old school/church bus for $100.00 It was one of those big old 60 passenger International Harvester jobs, It had a big gas hog V8 and a four speed transmission. That tank ran along on big old balding tires, that leaked.

It was rusted out in many places as well.

Well he gutted, and furnished it inside nearly like a mobile home.It had nearly everything. The windows had specially made aluminum framed screens that could be taken off via means of clips that loosened on a screw. They worked well.

The bed area and the living area had windows that opened for fresh air. Many other windows were covered with sheet metal or painted over with stain glass effect paint.

He painted the whole thing flat black.

It was one ugly, patched up pile of junk. But, it ran good, and afforded a measure of comfort for about a grand total of $1,500.
and a lot of elbow grease.

This guy was one of the early "Survivalist Types" of the era. He was a bit "Farout" there and a borderline radical.

He decided he'd drive out into the woods and set up for an extended stay. On the way into a state game area, he blew a tire on the rear. He had no spare. He got out his bicycle, and wheeled back to a small burg about 20 miles away. It was late night now. No one was open. He waited untill dawn in a car he found unlocked. Next day, there was no one in that area equiped with a rig that go in, jack up the bus, pull the tire, drive back out, pull the tire of the split rims, and hopefulluy patch up the worn out tires he had on it.
He was forced to hitch hike back to town here. Now two full days had passed and was approaching a third. He didn't have much cash, so he went to truck junk yards looking for a cheap replacement. No luck. Nearly a week passed. Finally he found a dude who felt sorry for him, and offered to drive him back up there, (75 miles away) and help him pull the wheel and tire, and patch it there on the spot.
He'd have to wait until saturday. Another days wait.
Well, they drove up there to where the broken down bus was waiting. A burned out and gutted shell was all that remained. Vandals found it, gutted it, and torched it. Manny was heartbroken.
So much for living out in the woods like a freeman.
He never bought another bus or truck for that matter. Last I saw him in the late 80's he was driving an old rusty honda civic!
He was still wearing his old OD green field jacket, and had a long greying beard, and a tie dyed head scarf covering his balding head.

Survivalist were pretty fringe then. SAD!

War Dog out...

#111262 - 11/03/07 04:48 AM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: ame]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No, not quite. I've had some hairball plans that kinda blew up. Only a few literally, although some others did start small fires....

But it does explain things like why there is clamp on desk lamp, long cord and an inverter in my car.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111268 - 11/03/07 08:14 AM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

If you had pre-cut squares for each window, I wonder if you could use museum putty (poster putty) to hold the netting in place without damaging the vehicle paint.

#111278 - 11/03/07 12:16 PM Re: Bug Proofing my Bug Out Car? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I might be out of line to suggest this, but you could trade your car for a pickup with a campershell that has screened windows on both sides. I love pickup trucks with shells. They have plenty of room for sleeping, storage, and if its a 4X4, then its better at bugging out on questionable roads. I especially like the ones with the window behind the benchseat that you can crawl through to get from the cabin to the bed and vise versa.
The only advantage I can think of that a car has over a pickup is that it can carry more seat-belted passengers.
I will never buy a mere car.
Pickups and dual-purpose motorcycles only. Maybe a van. No, vans are for psychedelic partyers in their early twenties. Been there, done that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.