Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#112780 - 11/18/07 01:21 AM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: raydarkhorse]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
BuzzwordS. Put the first and last letter of the word together to get the real meaning.

Buzzwords are a form of CorporateSpeak, their meanings are trendy and usually unclear, and they're used to "impress" others with a pretense of non-existent knowledge. A person's understanding of the meaning can be totally different from that of the person standing next to him. Using buzzwords are a way to bluff your way through something when you don't know what you're talking about, and if something goes wrong, you backpedal really fast and say "that's not what I meant".

Income aside, you probably would have hated it there.

Sue

#112792 - 11/18/07 03:44 AM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Actually, it was writing filtering and export code. Not a big deal, 80% of the brain sweat is logical expressions (which I think are easy) and the rest is just plug and chug for their parsing stuff- not that hard, and it is kinda fun. And I like that area, even if it is a bit remote even by my standards.

Still, I think I know what they actually were saying- "we like your brain, we just don't like you". I'm starting to wonder if one of my former employers is screwing me, and if I could prove it, I'd throw a lawyer at him so fast and so hard he'd beg me to shoot him instead.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112808 - 11/18/07 01:06 PM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: ironraven]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Screw working for someone else. Start your own business.

I will make a special offering to the computer gods on your behalf....

Edited by GarlyDog (11/18/07 01:17 PM)

#112857 - 11/18/07 09:42 PM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you know of someone who has their own business, have them call your references regarding a fake job, and see what is being said about you.

All businesses have caller ID now, so it has to look legitimate, esp if the friend has to leave a message to call back.

Of course, you could work for a company like my new job... the requirements: clean driving record, pass a drug test, and appear to be breathing. Garbage pay and hours, though.......

Sue

#112859 - 11/18/07 09:59 PM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Hang in there brother, there is something better planned for you.

I will keep my prayers going!!!!!

#113002 - 11/19/07 11:25 PM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: ironraven]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I'm really sorry to hear that Ironraven. Chances are if they passed up someone who can do the job well (you) for someone that can just BS (corporate lackey) then your better off. Good luck, I'm sure something will pan out for you.

#113043 - 11/20/07 03:16 AM Re: well, thanks anyway, everybody [Re: Blitz]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Blitz
I'm really sorry to hear that Ironraven. Chances are if they passed up someone who can do the job well (you) for someone that can just BS (corporate lackey) then your better off. Good luck, I'm sure something will pan out for you.

That is almost certainly the case. If one of their expectations was participation in corporate bullcrap, you have to ask yourself if you would have been happy in that job.

Been there… done that. Had a total whack-job of a branch manager come into being at my old technical job because our company bought out another smaller company, and this douchebag was allowed to keep an executive position due to the buyout contract terms. He made pretty much the entire office transfer or quit (no exaggeration). Personally, I decided to take a break from the technical field and became a ballroom dance instructor at that point. Was a fantastic move on my part from the things I heard from my old job contacts!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.