Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#110777 - 10/31/07 02:19 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Just to be clear. The Benchmade Fixed Grip is not the "mother" of the RSK Mk3.

Doug,

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

I always assumed that the RSK Mk3 was a least a cousin of the BM Fixed Blade Griptilian.

Clearly the blade steel and shape are pure RSK MkX, the handle material is unique (and far superior), and the sheath is nicer ...

But it seems that they have the handle shape in common, and, of course they're both made by Benchmade.

Maybe distant cousins?

Thanks,

Ken K.

#110823 - 10/31/07 12:54 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

"Mother" would imply that the RSK Mk3 was derived from the Fixed Grip, which would imply that it came first. That is not really the case. While Benchmade had long considered making a fixed blade based on their successful Griptilian folder, my desire to make a fixed blade version of the RSK Mk1 and the sketch I provided http://www.equipped.org/pp/pic3007.htm served as a catalyst. The original thought was that, like the RSK Mk1 collaboration, that by them producing their "mass-produced" version and me being able to simply offer a different blade style, steel and finish using the same handle, the project would be more practical from a production standpoint and the cost lower overall. However, the more we worked on refining things and they got the detailed handle design and materials to where they wanted it for their marketing and pricing purposes, it no longer was satisfactory from my perspective. So, in the end we produced an entirely separate knife for the RSK Mk3. So, a better familial description would be that they are "siblings" with a common parentage.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (10/31/07 12:56 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#111099 - 11/01/07 11:34 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: ]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hinderer is ok. Don't like it as much as my Spydie. I think that spyderco cuts better and is lighter. That seat belt cutter is hard to open and oxygen wrench I havent used yet since I prefer to use my multitool.

I like Benchmade rescue hooks and a lot of times I would work with it since there is nothing better for cutting long lengths. Problem I have with it is that it gets stuck on fabric folds or thick seams. Plus it is hard to begin a cut. Very often I ask my part to make initial cut with shears or a knife while I cut the rest. I found it to be very efficient way of doing stuff.

#111120 - 11/02/07 01:42 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: Themalemutekid]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
Wow that's a S*** load of knives!!Are those lanyards made outta para-cord?

I don't have any as LARGE as his large knives (I really SHOULD get 1-2), but that is NOT a lot of knives.

I'm a pocket knife NUT - I find it VERY hard to find the perfect pocket knife, and trust me, I looked for YEARS, I guess I have 30-40 knives - EVERY one had one problem or another, for certain situations!

Right now, I've "settled" for 2 knives for EDC. The closest to "perfect" knife I own is my custom Jeff Hall Gent's knife. The problem is exactly that - it's a Gent's knife. When I was wearing a suit to work every day, or when I dress up - it WAS perfect, but I would not want to use it as a heavy duty knife

The other? Once they decided to put a good blade on the Leatherman, I bought a TTi to try it. I no longer carry a pocket knife day to day - the TTi works. Immediately before that I carried an s30V leek, and before that, a DC Munroe Chimera (ONLY problem with THAT knife is I don't like the recurve on the blade, as I think stick sharpeners are OK for touch up, but flat stones are for sharpening - and you can't flat stone a recurve)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#111381 - 11/04/07 06:51 PM Re: Knives I own [Re: KG2V]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Unless I know I'm going to have to deal with PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. I carry a Spyderco Native III FRN (C78BK). Excellent VG-10 blade steel.

For PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. occasions I use a Fällkniven TK3 as a dress knife. Plain edge only but an even better blade steel.

There is a Spyderco Assist I FRN (C79BK) in the center console of my car. VG-10 blade steel again. This one has never been used but you never know...

Many other knives for various uses but these three are always there.

#111458 - 11/05/07 09:23 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
These are the folders I'm using and abusing right now. Price ranges from $10 (Mini-Blackhorn) to $250 (Rukus).

From the top down in the center:

Benchmade Rukus
Benchmade Mini-Rukus
Benchmade 707
Benchmade 705-401
Benchmade 530
Case Mini-Blackhorn
Benchmade 310
Benchmade 10610
Spyderco Atlantic Salt
Spyderco Native S30V

On the left (top down):

Leatherman Charge Ti
Leatherman Squirt P4

On the right (left to right):
Buck Medium Trapper
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Bantam Alox

Generally, each one fits into a certain category based on the situation (with some overlap):

Daily Carry: Benchmade 707 or Leatherman Charge
Camping: Either Rukus, V-nox Soldier, Leatherman Charge Ti
Boating/Diving: Spyderco Atlantic Salt (or sometimes Benchmade 530)
Dress carry: Benchmade 310 or Benchmade 705-401 or V-nox Bantam Alox
Work: Spyderco Native
City Travel: Leatherman Squirt P4, or Benchmade 10610, or V-nox Bantam Alox, or Buck Med. Trapper, or Case Mini-BH

This list isn't set in stone, I switch them in and out often. Basically, this is what I have in my apartment currently.

#112577 - 11/15/07 03:01 AM Re: Knives I own [Re: massacre]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Okay, I finally got to it... I EDC the TTI, the Point Guard and the Micra. I swap the e306x for EDC now and then. This Pic is missing a several duplicates to save on space and several small pen knives I have scattered here and there and didn't want to locate:

1st Column (bottom to top):
Leatherman TTI
Leatherman New Wave
Leatherman Kick
Leatherman e306x

2nd Column (bottom to top):
Gerber Gator Serrater
Gerber Pro Scout 600 Needlenose
Benchmade

3rd Column (bottom to top):
CRKT Point Guard 6752
Becker Necker
Leatherman Micra
Gerber Keystyle Multi Tool
Eddie Bauer PenKnife/Lighter Combo

4th Column (bottom to top):
Swiss+Tech Utili-Key
Gerber Deluxe Utility Clipper
Gerber Ridge
Schrade Tough Chip ST2N

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.