Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111073 - 11/01/07 07:38 PM PSK container/bag
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
All,

I'm looking for a new bag (maybe a new container) for my PSK. Right now, I'm using a pelican case, think its model 1040 (http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1040). Yup, its alittle on the large size, but after years of playing with the items, I havn't seriously modified it for awhile.

I've been thinking of going the route of getting out the of pelican case (I sail quite a bit and anything 'dangerous' we do, its clipped to me and stored on my PFD in the back pouch).

But i'm doing more and more hiking (the case is heavy in its own right), and was looking at getting a bag where I can wear it with my backpack (or on my person somewhere).

I was thinking of Maxpedition's FR-1 pouch (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=404), give it a shoulder strap and it'll be with me. But I don't know how I could attach a 1 litre platypus fold up canteen to it? I was thinking of a rolypolly, but don't want extra stuff sticking on the outside when not in use (I doubt can put the rolypolly inside the pouch with what I carry).

sooooo... I was looking into Maxpeditions's Remora (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=384). Its phyically quite a bit bigger, comes with its own shoulder harness, and more room. I'm sure it has the room for what i want and then some. BUT how would one carry it with a backpack? Up front?

So, now i'm stuck. I basically want something just like the FR-1 pouch, just a tad bigger. And I need for the pouch/bag to be able to carry a full 1 litre platypus canteen somehow.

Of course, staying put in an emergancy situation is ideal, but i'm trying to account for the possiblity of being mobile.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!
Kris

#111084 - 11/01/07 08:55 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Kris]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong but the back or the Remora looks like it lends itself to sliding the waste belt of your backpack through it, that way alowing for either a right, left or center carry in the front. And depending on the backpack you already have or chose, I'm sure there is a way to attach malice clips so that way you would have the option of attaching it to the backpack, either on the side or back. I would have to look at it closer though and don't have the time right now I have to go to work. Hope you find what your looking for.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#111087 - 11/01/07 09:02 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Shadow_oo00]
MedB Offline

If you want something that has a less tacticool look, Mountainsmith might be an option.

Personally I love their stuff; tough as nails, well designed, and attracts less attention than tactical gear. Their camera bags and pouches might fit the bill nicely...

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?categoryId=13

Hope this helps,

Edited by MedB (11/01/07 09:08 PM)

#111088 - 11/01/07 09:10 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: MedB]
Kris Offline
Addict

Shadow,

For the time being, I can't see any Maxpedition's stuff. I'm planning a trip back to the mainland soon, but it could be a few months. I have no idea what it looks like in person. I'm guessing that both the remora and the fr-1 will do the job, just by details from what i'm finding on websites, etc.

I wish i could get some good feedback from people that have it.

As for attaching it directly to the back pack (the remora), good idea, and definitly a possiblity. Just need a way for it to be stable on the pack, but be able to take it off quick.

Kris

#111091 - 11/01/07 10:30 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Kris]
Kris Offline
Addict

MedB,

Thanks for the url, i'll check it out now.

Kris

#111093 - 11/01/07 10:37 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: MedB]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I'm glad you have had good luck with Mountainsmith. I haven't. The very first time I used their medium dog pannier backpack, two straps ripped out within 1 mile. I was very disappointed to find the straps were just sewn into the seam of the bag with no reinforcement. The dog is well behaved and the load was only about 6 lbs. I bought from them because of their reputation for quality. Oh, well . . .

Jeff

#111191 - 11/02/07 06:12 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Jeff_M]
thechaplain Offline
Corporate Chaplain
Stranger

I have for the last year or two carried a maxpedition fatboy
for my psk. it has the room for additional gear depending on where i am heading. (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=6)
I have never used the remora but it looks to me at first glance it would hold what i edc in my psk.

#111232 - 11/03/07 12:05 AM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Kris]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, based on the internal volume of the 1040, how about something like the SpecOps Brand X-6? I usually preach the road of non tactical, but in black it looks like a camera/binocular case, and the "speed back" system is probably the best version of the PALS/MOLLE system I've ever seen. You can put it on just about any kind of belt or strap, and with a pair of d-rings, a chunk of 1" webbing, and some triglides you can rig a sling in a few seconds that looks like it belongs. (In a hurry, skip the D-rings and triglides, just use a length of line or webbing.)

7.5 high, 6 wide, 3 deep, it will hold a pair of small Nalgenes (or a rectangular one liter), or a USGI canteen, so it should fit a 1L bladder pretty well. Or your kit as is, in the 1040. smile You could get by with the smaller X-4, but it would be borderline on the bladder (and being narrower, it looks a little more like an ammo pouch). The top is held down with both velcro (there is a silencer flap if you want to use it) and an side release buckle, and extends down a ways over the sides so you don't have a risk of loosing stuff out the sides. And they are just about bomb proof- it is probably the best buy in nylon I've found. They should run you about 25$ plus shipping. I've got a bunch of them in different colors and vintages, they are one of my "standard" packages.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=46

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#111310 - 11/03/07 06:28 PM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: ironraven]
Kris Offline
Addict

IronRaven,

I wish there was more pictures of the The SpecOps Brand X-6. I'm curious how you would attach D rings to it (if they don't come already with them).

How strong is the pouch? How would it compare to a Maxpedition product?

Good find!

Thanks,
Kris

#111342 - 11/04/07 02:18 AM Re: PSK container/bag [Re: Kris]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would put it a small step down from Maxped in terms of durability, but not in terms of quality. The reduced durability is becuase it doesn't have as much weight to it- SpecOps is only significantly overbuilt compaired to MaxPed's massively overbuilt. :P I've used their gear for several years, after being introduced to some that had been used by friends in various branches of the service. If those guys can't break it, nothing short of artillery or air strikes can. I'd put it solidly in the same class as Tactical Tailor, ATS, the lighter Eagle and the better Aites items.

As for attaching the d-rings, look at the image here (not going to hotlink it from their site). Look at the top of the backs- you lace the straps through the D-ring, then down through the backs and close them. It would ride "flatter" to your side than the usual side mounts for D-rings. (You could do the same to any of the molle-type gear, but I think the system that SpecOps developed is one of the most robust and versatile variants without as radical a redesign as the MALICE type.)

Or you could just lace them through the webbing to make a "belt loop" big enough to mount on just about anything. It doesn't have to be flat, I've hung X-6s off things like lengths of pipe and cross braces for bunk beds.

I'd post a picture or two, but the camera isn't with me right now.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.