The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110663 - 10/30/07 03:09 AM My Townie EDC
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Here is my current EDC:

I never use the lighter since I don't smoke, and I have been thinking of not carrying it, but haven't stopped yet because it reminds me to keep thinking of finishing my PSK.
The photon is a red covert (notice the sheath around the bulb) which often comes in handy. It's surprising how little a light it takes to function in complete darkness.
The cell phone usually only comes with me when I drive (for emergency AAA contact), which I haven't done since 2005 except for a few miles, but I might start carrying it with me wherever since I am paying for it and all my minutes will otherwise go to waste.
The Fisher space pen is nice as it has a stylus at one end, though I don't have need of a stylus. It is a good point thought for self-defense if it comes to that.
I use the memo pad as a mini-phonebook, and I use it often to jot down ideas and names of books that come up in conversations.
The WileyX sunglasses are a must, as I am light-sensitive, which means I get migraines sometimes even at the slightest reflected automobile glare.
Plenty of cash for burritos at the Mexican truck, and a buy-six-get-one-free card. I am half-way there.
The wallet is a shark-bite, so no annoying velcro rip sound, which makes me start to shape-shift.
The Victorinox often comes in handy, as can easily be imagined. It always amazes me how so much can be done with something so little. I have had it for about 25 years.

#110680 - 10/30/07 10:33 AM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Can't see the pic, but the description sounds good.

Keep the lighter. I quit smoking (except for an occasional cigar or pipe once or twice a month) in 1992, but I still carry a lighter. I can make fire rubbing sticks and such if I need to. The lighter is just really convenient and not that much trouble.

#110700 - 10/30/07 03:02 PM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Oh no, not the roach coach!! (just kidding)

Your setup sounds good. You might want to look into a different cell phone plan (Cingular, err, now the "new" AT&T) that has a rollover minutes plan. That way you get to keep what you don't use.

How about adding a small whistle?

#111032 - 11/01/07 04:46 PM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The photo of your EDC is gone. Can you re-post it?

Just for laughs, here's my EDC (below). Feedback appreciated. smile

• CRKT Lake Signature liner lock one handed knife.
  • US Army Issue P38 can opener
  • US Army Issue dog tags (can't hurt to have ID and blood type readily available; probably won't be taken even if mugged)
  • Small bic disposable lighter wrapped in plastic sealed w/ tape
  • Fox 40 (mini) whistle
  • Squeezable LED mini-light (doesn't have switch -- had bad luck with that type)
  • Cell phone
  • Bandana
  • Two way pager (email capable)
  • Mini compass (amazing how often I refer to it just out driving around now that I have it)
  • Victronox SAK Deluxe Tinker (pliers, 2 x knife, hook, awl/reamer, scissors, can opener/screwdriver/wire stripper, can piercer/mini screwdriver, corkscrew, tooth pick, and tweezers).
  • 550 cord, 5 ft.
  • chapstick
  • sunglasses

#111140 - 11/02/07 03:12 AM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: Hikin_Jim]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Jim,

Can we assume you carry a wallet(id, cash, etc.), keys, pen...

tro

#111147 - 11/02/07 04:03 AM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: teacher]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Yes, wallet, keys, and pen as well as comb and writing paper. Also a large college ring that can open a beer bottle -- a beverage for a different kind of survival. lol

#111153 - 11/02/07 10:00 AM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
TQS Offline

Here is my second attempt to upload my photo:

Edited by TQS (11/02/07 10:02 AM)

#111277 - 11/03/07 11:59 AM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: benjammin]
TQS Offline

Yep, I just happened to have a light for some smoker again. Other than that, I have no use for it in town. But on the odd chance I get "lost" in the woods and need a small fire to see me through the night, I'll keep it on me. Then again, I am probably going to have to make a hybrid townie-rural kit, not quite wholely wilderness survival, not quite wholely urban.

I don't know, but I think I need to get out more.

#111282 - 11/03/07 02:23 PM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The main omission which strikes me is a whistle. Otherwise it seems basically fine.

The phone and lighter are a lot of bulk which don't seem to give you a lot of value. I carry an all-singing, all-dancing smart phone, but I know not everyone shares my love of gadgets.

I'd consider adding a bandanna or large handkerchief if you can find a suitable pocket for it. Back pockets are ideal; a good silk one will fold flat enough not to be noticed there, and it has a lot of uses in first aid or for cordage.

#111293 - 11/03/07 03:50 PM Re: My Townie EDC [Re: TQS]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Yeah, I EDC a lighter and haven't used it in 5+ years. Still...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.