Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#105244 - 09/11/07 03:04 AM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: benjammin]
CBTENGR Offline

OK so you've got me interested in trying out this dacron line. Where's a good place to purchase some? Thanks.

#105297 - 09/11/07 05:21 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: CBTENGR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Dacron line is used both as high strength fishing line and as kite string. Check out sporting goods/fishing supply stores, kite shops, and the internet. Here's an interesting site:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/inventory/solidcore.htm

Dacron is not the only synthetic that fits the profile, but it has been around a while longer than most of the rest.

#105361 - 09/12/07 02:13 AM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: benjammin]
CBTENGR Offline

Great Thanks

#110336 - 10/28/07 01:38 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: CBTENGR]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
This kit rides in my car’s trunk all the time. I also keep a fleece blanket, 6x8’ tarp, and rain pants and jacket there as well. In my car I have my ham radio, digital scanner, GPS’s and assorted other stuff such as another FAK, 2 D cell Maglite, shovel, Gerber multi-tool, Life Hammer and fire extinguisher. What can I say, I’m a gear freak.

Photo here and here
BOB contents:

Attached to outside of pack:
Pentagon RA LED Flashlight in pouch
Civilian Lab’s Gear keeper retractable lanyard
Mora 4” fixed blade knife
Alinco DJ-X3 Scanner
Cobra GMRS/FRS radios X 2
Diamond sharpening rod
Buck 3” folder (in pouch)
6’ shanks paracord w/ figure 9 rope tightners X2
Strobe light

First aid kit (in pouch)
Trauma bandage
Celox blood clotter
EMT sheers
Triangle bandage
6 ounces water (in pouch)
Bottle Skin Shield
10’ 3M Coban (stretchy cling wrap)
Pair Nitrile gloves & 2 surgical masks (in ziplock baggie)
Small FAK items in Aloksak (pills, tape, bandaids, etc)

Small Pocket
Write in Rain paper and pencil
20’ yellow caution tape
Suunto compass in case
Signal mirror in case
Petzel E-lite
CRKT Guppie multi-tool
Mini folding saw
Folding surgical blade
Versatool & bit driver set (in pouch)
Spare batteries for radios and strobe
Camper’s folding knife, fork, spoon

Lower rear pocket
N95 masks X2, Nitrile gloves
Bandanas X 2
Micropur tabs in foil X 6
Hygiene pack (tooth brush & paste, wipes, shampoo, soap, razor, etc.)
Travel pack of TP

Middle Pocket
9 hour candles X 3
Box water proof matches
Film canister with Vaseline soaked cotton balls (all 3 items in ziplock)
Space Blanket
AMK Heat Sheet
25’ paracord
Zipties
20’ duct tape
10x20” camp towel
Instant cold compress
Assorted “little hotties” warmer packs
Plastic box with bandaids, bottle of iodine tincture and mini lighter
Write in Rain field notebook/pen
Fold up solar panel with 12V outlet

Large Pocket
3600 calorie MainStay ration bar
6 ounce water packets X 12
Esbit stove, tabs, storm proof matches
15” poly tubing
Blackhawk fill and drink tube
Blackhawk 100 ounce disposable reservoirs X 2
Matchsafe with storm proof matches and striker bar
Plastic box with tinder and firesteel
Stainless steel cup with folding handles
Small parafoil kite, 200’ kite string, bike gloves*
SAM splint

Whole package weighs about 25 pounds. The pack itself is quite nice, with chest and waist straps, compression straps, MOLLE attachment points, etc. Was $30 at ebags.com.
Most items are packaged together by function. Everything is in waterproof packaging.

I’ve switched from regular ziplock bags to Reynold’s vacuum ziplocks. Available in quart and gallon sizes you use a handlheld, battery powered vacuum device to evacuate the air from the bag once you’ve zipped it closed. Works pretty darn well and since the bags are reusable you can open them up, remove items, seal them up and re-do the vacuum. Wouldn’t take the vacuum device with me as part of the BOB, but it would be easy to store in your camper or RV. Here's a link to their product page.

* The kite is an alternate signal/location device, could also be used for fishing or just a fun way to kill time while stranded. Bike gloves protect my hands from the string.

#110392 - 10/28/07 11:39 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: teacher]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I was wondering how large is the REI backpack that makes up your BOB?
My BOB is an Arc'teryx Bora 35, but my EDC is usually in an Arc'teryx daypack or fanny pack, depending on what I'm including in my EDC for that particular day. The BOB is usually in the car and my EDC is next to my desk at work.

#110518 - 10/29/07 02:42 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: hiker1]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Mine is of large daypack/ bookpack size. (I'll post a pic if you want.) Its not a hydration pack, so it'll have to get upgraded at some point.

teacher

#110565 - 10/29/07 05:20 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: teacher]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

All this talk of weapons and concealed carry permits again. In a way it makes me feel vulnerable as it's not legal to carry firearms here in Canada...too bad there is no legal alternative.

#110586 - 10/29/07 10:21 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
You aren't allowed to carry anything? Not OC or Mace? Surely, just because you can't have a gun doesn't mean you can't carry something to protect yourself.

#110599 - 10/29/07 11:50 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: AROTC]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Here's what some of our laws say about what is allowed and what isn't. Quoted from a book called Canadian Law and Self Defense:

Quote:
PROHIBITED DEVICES
All of the following are prohibited devices in Canada:

and, while it is true that all these devices are prohibited, this list falls short of ALL the devices that have been prohibited by Order in Council.

Some of the missed things are knives.

Prohibited Weapons List:
• any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilising or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of

(a) tear gas, mace or other gas, or
(b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilising or otherwise incapacitating any person;

• any instrument or device commonly known as “nunchaku,” being hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes or rods connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain;

• any instrument or device commonly known as “shuriken,” being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometric shape;

• any instrument or device commonly known as “manrikigusari or kusari,” and any similar instrument or device, being hexagonal or other geometrically shaped hard weights or handgrips linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain :

• any finger ring that has one or more blades or sharp objects that are capable of being projected from the surface of the ring;
• the device known as Taser public defender being a gun or a device similar to a gun capable of injuring, immobilising or otherwise incapacitating a person by the discharge therefrom of darts or any other object carrying an electrical current or substance, or any other similar device;

• any device that is designed to be capable of injuring, immobilising or otherwise incapacitating a person or an animal by discharging an electrical charge produced by means of the amplification or accumulation of the electrical current generated by a battery, where the device is designed or altered so that the electrical charge may be discharged when the device is of a length of less that 480 mm, or any other similar device;

• any device commonly known as a Crossbow, with a stock of 400 mm or less, or any other similar device;

• the weapon known as the “Constant Companion,” being a belt containing a blade capable of being withdrawn from the belt, with the buckle of the belt forming a handle for the blade;

• any knife commonly known as a Push Dagger that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade;

• any device having a length of less than 30 cm and resembling an innocuous object but designed to conceal a knife or blade, including the device commonly known as the knife comb, being a comb with the handle of the comb forming a handle for the knife;

• and any other device similar to the device described as the constant companion, the push dagger, but not including the aboriginal “ulu” knife, and the knife comb.

• the device commonly known as a “Kiyoga Baton” or “Steel Cobra” and any similar device consisting of a manually-triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whip terminated in a heavy calibre striking tip;

• the device commonly known as a “spiked wristband,” being a wristband to which a spike or blade is affixed or any similar device;

• the weapon commonly known as the “Yaqua Blowgun” being a tube or pipe designed for the purpose of shooting arrows or darts by the breath, and any similar device;

• the device commonly known as a “Morning Star” and any similar device consisting of a ball of metal or other heavy material, studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of chain, rope or other flexible material;
• the device known as the “SSS-1 Stinger” and any similar device that consists of a single shot weapon of any calibre and is designed or of a size to fit in the palm of the hand or in a cigarette package and

• the device known as “Brass Knuckles” and any similar device consisting of a band of metal with finger holes designed to fit over the root knuckles of the hand.

As for what is legal to carry...on the whole, Canadians are allowed to arm themselves with a weapon for self defence (except a firearm), if the weapon is suitable to the danger anticipated and is not carried concealed and you do not beg from nor accost or impede anyone while carrying it or go to a public meeting.

So carrying a big obvious belt knife is pretty much the only thing you're safe with...but if you use it and a judge decides that you used more force than was needed to neutralize the situation (another part of the law that is WAY different than in the US), you could be charged with assault, aggravated assault, or murder even though you were only defending yourself...it's happened many times.

#110877 - 10/31/07 06:37 PM Re: URBAN BOB [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Wow, I don't know what I'd do in your situation. Possibly carry a roll of quarters in my jacket pocket or something similar. All in all, it sounds like you guys are pretty much boned in the self-defense department.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.