Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#110891 - 10/31/07 08:16 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: paramedicpete]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
So, that peanut lighter looks like it would be a cool addition to my survival necklace. Does anyone have experience with it? The chief complaint I've heard about mini lighters is that they're hard to use with cold wet hands.

How about any of the lighter options listed? Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

#110899 - 10/31/07 09:28 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I'd have thought the 'cold wet hands' thing applies to almost all the smaller options, including the sparklite and conventional firesteel? Operating any small device is going to be fiddly in difficult conditions, but the alternative is to go to something bigger, which then might not edc so well.

#110901 - 10/31/07 09:32 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: bigreddog]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If I had my choice with cold wet hands I'd take the firesteel. It may take a bit more work to get something to burn but it's very easy to use and does not require a lot of dexterity.

#110903 - 10/31/07 09:34 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: bigreddog]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bigreddog
I'd have thought the 'cold wet hands' thing applies to almost all the smaller options...

Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm thinking tha some products will be better than others.

Others, please chime in here, especially if you've actually used any of the products.

#110904 - 10/31/07 09:35 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
If I had my choice with cold wet hands I'd take the firesteel. It may take a bit more work to get something to burn but it's very easy to use and does not require a lot of dexterity.

Good feedback; thanks.

#110916 - 10/31/07 11:41 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

It is no good for keyring or necklace carry but to solve the "cold, wet hands" problem I carry a couple fusee's (road flares) in my truck, snowmobile and ATV. Easy to spark up even with gloves on and will light just about a anything, good signaling device also.

To increase the potential of lighting a fire with cold, wet hands the use of accelerants helps a lot but you have to be very careful (eg BOOM). My partner at work carries a small bottle of gasline anti-freeze in his floater snowmobile suit pocket for just this reason.

Mike

#110920 - 11/01/07 12:29 AM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
NAro Online   content
Addict

Certainly I'd rather have a big honking lighter. But I have no trouble using the peanut lighter with "cold wet hands." Actually, one hand. I have no trouble opening and using it with only one hand.

#111011 - 11/01/07 03:07 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: NAro]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

OK, so you've tried one of them? (the peanut lighter?) And it works reasonably well? That is good news.

I like it that the peanut lighter if fully enclosed in what looks like a water tight container. If one goes for a "swim" in the backcountry and all of one's clothes are sopping wet, that's when I'm going to need my lighter the most.

Does anyone know if the peanut lighter is refillable? I didn't see anything either way on the countycomm.comm site.

#111018 - 11/01/07 03:28 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Does anyone know if the peanut lighter is refillable? I didn't see anything either way on the countycomm.comm site.

The peanut lighter is refillable. Its a simple liquid fueled lighter and you can use lighter fluid such as the zippo brand. The lighter is pretty reliable to use inside but I really wouldn't rely on it in difficult weather circumstances. The Brunton Firestorm lighter, although larger and much more expensive will still ignite in very wet and windy weather. It is also waterproof.

DR has a quick review at http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=20

The Brunton is perhaps the most reliable lighter I've ever used together with the Brunton Helios Lighter.

Windmill Delta Shockproof Lighters are excellent also.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/01/07 03:30 PM)

#111027 - 11/01/07 04:23 PM Re: Mini Keyring llghter? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Cool; good info, thanks.

I have a Windmill; it's been pretty good although I don't like that there's no protection for the injection port.

I've heard that the piezo ignition doesn't work well at altitude.
Anyone got the skinny on this?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.