Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#110628 - 10/30/07 01:34 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I stopped reading BP not long after their new editor recommended not carrying a first aid kit of any type...

WTF?!

#110632 - 10/30/07 01:39 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I did enjoy the lightweight backpacker Ray Jardine's book, Beyond Backpacking. It has some pretty interesting ideas and neat stories to go along.

I don't think Ray was every crazy enough to suggest not carrying any first aid though...

#110662 - 10/30/07 03:08 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: clearwater]
DougM Offline

If I wanted to (and this board allowed it? I could supply a rather lengthy list of (censored) that that magazine (and others) have considered "wisdom".

#110667 - 10/30/07 03:21 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: DougM]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I gotta admit I am one of those that didn't really understand the need for long fixed blades for hiking/backpacking. Even for fishing/camping... I carry plenty of firestarting gimmicks so I don't think I'll really need to make fuzz sticks or stuff like that to start a fire.

So I was about to start carrying a small office box cutter to cut cord and open up packages... until I started to play with food. Food is the reason i'm carrying a regular sized Victorinox One-handed Trekker on my trips. Whenever there's food, a knife comes in really handy. To cut cheese, open up packages, etc.

So don't be too rough on Backpacker Magazine, at least on the razor blade thingy (I agree no water is silly).

#110671 - 10/30/07 03:33 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: cedfire]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Razor blades are clumsy, especially if hands are cold, and besides, people don't carry knives into the wilderness for medical reasons.
KEEP the map, unless very familiar with the area.
Always keep one bottle full for in between water sources, even if you don't anticipate being thirsty. Keep in mind that unless you have a map, you might not know where those water sources are.

#110676 - 10/30/07 05:47 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: cedfire]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I'm going to have to read that article. That's bad advice to not have at least a small med kit, a map, some water, and a proper knife, even if just a Swiss Army type. A map can really save your butt by keeping you on course and preventing the need for other survival gear.

Now having said that, weight is very critical. I'm a very "be prepared" conscious person. I constantly struggle with the balance between being prepared and keeping the weight down. It's a tough balance. I do try to carry the minimum amount of water, within reason -- emphasis on reason. I do my homework and really evaluate my water needs, mileages, and where my next refill point is. I always carry a bit more than I think I'll need.

Now as to purification. There have been studies that have indicated that much of the water is still quite drinkable, particularly at higher altitudes, in the Western US. I read an article some time ago in the LA times about an MD who hikes and regularly samples water along his route. Conclusion? All drinkable. Let me add that I usually do carry a filter despite the extra weight and am very cautious about where I gather water. Nevertheless, there is a bit of overhype on the omnipresent necessity of water purifcation.

#110678 - 10/30/07 06:40 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Now as to purification. There have been studies that have indicated that much of the water is still quite drinkable, particularly at higher altitudes, in the Western US. I read an article some time ago in the LA times about an MD who hikes and regularly samples water along his route. Conclusion? All drinkable. Let me add that I usually do carry a filter despite the extra weight and am very cautious about where I gather water. Nevertheless, there is a bit of overhype on the omnipresent necessity of water purifcation.

As someone who's had giardia, I agree with you about the need to be cautious about your water no matter what the elevation. It can be a pain to filter or treat all your water, but then again, so is living by the toilet and injesting nothing but fluids for a week waiting for the horse pills to kill everything in your intestines.

#110681 - 10/30/07 10:49 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
As someone else who's been infected with Giardia, I second that. I do not drink raw water unless I have absolutely no other choice.

#110682 - 10/30/07 11:40 AM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
WTF indeed. Dorn has some really screwy ideas about how to save weight, but depending on finding another hiker with a first aid kit for you to bum from was the final straw for me...

#110687 - 10/30/07 12:35 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: cedfire]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

These guys stress over a few extra ounces? Sounds to me like they need to invest in a stair-stepper.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 164 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.