Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#110730 - 10/30/07 05:49 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I look at it this way: I like to have options

Here, here. When you need something in the wild, and it's sitting at home, you really a) kick yourself and b) can suffer potentially life threatening consequences. I can tell you stories of hiking with my minimalist father... There's a reason why I'm into preparedness. I have had to spend unplanned nights in the wild. Let me tell you that I will never forget.

#110731 - 10/30/07 05:54 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Is this the study?

An Outbreak of Giardiasis in a Group of Campers

Unfortunately, they want you to pay to read the full article, but you can see the abstract.

#110732 - 10/30/07 05:56 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

OK, not to hog the forum, but here's a study I came across. It's not on sources of infection but rather on one purification method: iodine. Seems like iodine can be wholly inadequate even if directions are followed precisely. Efficacy of iodine water purification tablets against Cryptosporidium...

#110733 - 10/30/07 06:08 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Katie]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Katie
Is this the study?

An Outbreak of Giardiasis in a Group of Campers

Unfortunately, they want you to pay to read the full article, but you can see the abstract.

Good study; not the one I'm thinking of. smile

#110735 - 10/30/07 06:13 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

#110737 - 10/30/07 06:29 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Hikin_Jim]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I dunno, it just seems to me folks are trying to find a way to bring their hustle and bustle work life mentality to the hills. Why would anyone want to hike 50-60 miles a day? If all they're trying to accomplish is to just cover as much ground as possible, stick to the shoulder of the road and just jog. Most of the places I would go to "get away" mean driving up into the hills somewhere, getting out of the truck, and hiking in just about any direction I choose for maybe a mile or so and I am in it. Running another 50 miles only gets me deeper in it, and means I have to then hike that far to get back out of it.

In this day and age, if you can't get in it without having to cover 50 miles on foot, then methinks you might be trying too hard. I ain't never been that ambitious about recreation. Maybe it is nice knowing for certain you can cover that much ground in a day if'n you really had to, but to do it just cuz it's something to do, that just don't make no sense...

#110739 - 10/30/07 06:42 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+1 to Benjammin. I wouldn't want to cover 30 miles in a day. I'm out there to drink in the sights/smells. The LAST thing I want is for my time in the woods to end sooner. Power-hiking makes absolutely no sense to me.

That being said, to each their own. They can laugh at me as I dwadle along, I'll laugh at them as they zoom by the pretty butterfly.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#110745 - 10/30/07 07:22 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: benjammin]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Not the very Northern Appalachians, where I live. From the Maine / New Hampshire border northward some 300-miles to Mt katahdin is remote and very rugged. A "gone missing" kind of place.

Edited by RobertRogers (10/30/07 07:38 PM)

#110750 - 10/30/07 08:15 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: Blast]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Regarding water quality, here are two references (see links below). Now, both of these articles refer to the Sierra Nevada, which, while near and dear to my heart, may not be all that relevant to you, but nevertheless the findings are quite thought provoking.

Paper from 2003

LA Times Article from 2005

#110753 - 10/30/07 08:36 PM Re: Backpacker Magazine and wild suggestions... [Re: benjammin]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I dunno, it just seems to me folks are trying to find a way to bring their hustle and bustle work life mentality to the hills. Why would anyone want to hike 50-60 miles a day?

Well, for the record no one that I've ever heard of does 50 - 60 miles in a day. A week, yes, but not in a day. 20 miles is very high mileage in day with an overnight pack. Typically, on a backpack, my goal is 8 - 12 miles for a day. 12 miles can be pretty exhausting depending on the terrain.

Most of the places I would go to "get away" mean driving up into the hills somewhere, getting out of the truck, and hiking in just about any direction I choose for maybe a mile or so and I am in it.

Cool; glad that works for you. Speaking just for myself, I'll hike more mileage for the following reasons.
-Get away from the crowds and graffitti/garbage
-To get a better sense of the overall area
-To see a variety of terrain, including high altitude, remote terrain inacessible to the general public except by foot.
-To enjoy more frequent wildlife encounters.
Here's some photos from my 4 day backpack in Colorado. Perhaps they will speak for themselves. Jim's Rocky Mountain National Park Backpack

In this day and age, if you can't get in it without having to cover 50 miles on foot, then methinks you might be trying too hard.

Been to Alaska lately? grin Seriously, one of the great things about the good ol' US of A is that we do have large tracts of wilderness, spots with beautiful things like imposing rock domes, spectacular natural arches, labrynthine caves, and fabulous waterfalls. Sometimes it's neat to visit a fantastic, pristine spot and have it all to yourself. smile

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.