Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#110696 - 10/30/07 01:39 PM Re: Silk Purse from a sow's ear? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

not to deviate from the topic, but I felt this appropriate since red flare brought up heat sheets(tm).

I was in Texas this past weekend teaching some classes. Several of us rode in together on Thursday, but arrived late.

instead of setting up camp in the dark we decided on star shelter (sleep under the open stars). A big ground cloth was set out to accomodate 5 of us. A variety of pads were laid on top as were the types of bags with varying degrees of insulative properties. The only one without a bag was me.

I've spoken with Alex (Red Flare) and told him him I like heatsheet so much I use it as part of a 3 season setup. Of course, three seasons in California is far differrent than in Wyoming, or in this case Texas.

That first night was so cold. it dipped into freezing temperatures before we went to bed, as was evident by some heavy frost on the pads and bags.

come bed time, I pulled out my sleep system: Thermarest, Ultralight Pad; One AMK, heatsheet; one US, poncho liner.

Some of the other instructors kidded with my choice of sleep gear, but I assured them if I really got cold I would snuggle up with them... LOL!

The ponchliner went on me first followed by the Heatsheet as a shell, silver down. I did this to prevent from waking up in a puddle of water from condensation build up by using the liner as a barrier... worked like a champ

while it was cold outside, I managed to sleep soundly except for not having a pillow. At one point I decided to get up grabbed my daypack and returned to bed with my improvised pillow... it worked decently!

The next morning, everyone was sharing their experiences with the cold. From what I can gather, based on comments and remarks, I was the warmest of the lot, and that is a lot to say considering I'm only about 9-10% body fat.

The next night. I tried using the same setup in the hammock, but really was cold all night. I do think, however, it had something to do with the fact I was sick that day and didn't eat anything all day, let alone before bed, to keep my furnace burning.

On night 3 I changed tactics. I wrapped the Heatsheet on the outside of the hammock, silver in, and used my thermarest, along with the liner, inside

I did experience a bit of a cold shoulder, but other than that, I slept soundly. The next morning provided the evidence as to the reason for the cold shoulder. The heatsheet slipt away from the right side of the hammock, the cold shoulder side.

What I took away. Set up properly it can work and work well, but to be comfortable, in that temperature, you need more.

Alan
[url=survivalbiz.com]survivalbiz.com[/url]

#110706 - 10/30/07 03:37 PM Re: Silk Purse from a sow's ear? [Re: Halcon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Alan,

Sounds like a good time. You got to be here during the best weather we've had all year!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.