The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#110131 - 10/26/07 12:32 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: simplesimon]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Martial law? the US armed forces can't successfully occupy a country of 23 million Iraqis. How are they going to keep 300 million americans in line? This stuff about a 'new order' is fantasy.
simon

A conspiracy theorist would argue that the terrorists in Iraq are receiving help from other hostile countries in the region, while there would be no such help forthcoming for American freedom fighters, thus making it much easier for the government to seize control.

I personally agree that it's all a bit far-fetched, to put it kindly. crazy

#110133 - 10/26/07 12:37 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: simplesimon]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The Nudist Camp comment reminded me of " Blue Thunder" But then Downtown Meadville doesn't have any Nudist Camps that I'm aware of, maybe closet ones.....LOL
Check flight I dunno, their aren't any bases around here that have Apache's. Probably never know.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#110135 - 10/26/07 12:51 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
We had a B2 fly over our house one day on its way to opening day in Foxboro. It did several passes around the area. My girlfriend, having never seen one, started flipping out. She thought we were being invaded by aliens. grin Took me a while to get her calmed down, I actually had to show her a picture of one to prove what it was.

#110139 - 10/26/07 01:29 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: Shadow_oo00]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I live a block and one-half (for over 30 years) from the front gate of Ft. Detrick, the helio-pad is another 50 yards from the gate, USAMRIID (think of the movie “Hot Zone”) is another 50 yards past the helio-pad, the Maryland State Police-Medivac uses the area for it’s flight path to the trauma center to our west and we are close to the flight path for Camp David, so we hear and feel helicopters all the time.

While not super common, we have military vehicles travel down our street heading to the front gate. If the windows are open, we hear Revelry, Retreat and Taps every day and night.

My family and I view these events and sounds with a sense of pride and the feeling of protection and comfort. We have know the risks of living so close to the potential source of a major Haz-Mat incident, a terrorist attack, aircraft accident, etc. and what bothers us the most is the increase in traffic, uncontrolled growth, increased taxes and local crime.

Pete

#110148 - 10/26/07 02:43 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: NightHiker]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Here's the Story

Published October 25, 2007 11:06 pm - Anyone in Meadville who wanted to know what the U.S. Army’s primary attack helicopter looks like from an attackee’s perspective only had to look skyward early Thursday night, as an AH-64 Apache made an unexpected visit and alarmed enough people that about 100 concerned calls were placed to local law enforcement.

Apache helicopter causes concern throughout Meadville

By Mary Spicer

MEADVILLE TRIBUNE

Anyone in Meadville who wanted to know what the U.S. Army’s primary attack helicopter looks like from an attackee’s perspective only had to look skyward early Thursday night, as an AH-64 Apache made an unexpected visit and alarmed enough people that about 100 concerned calls were placed to local law enforcement.

Beginning around 6 p.m., the AH-64 Apache helicopter hovered over downtown for approximately an hour, checking out the area in preparation for a formal visit scheduled for Nov. 8.

At the invitation of Fred Cunningham of the Crawford County Office of Veterans Services, the Johnstown-based 1st Battalion, 104th Aviation Regiment of the Army National Guard will be sending at least one AH-64 to Meadville for a fly-over kicking off the three-day “Through a Veteran’s Eye” salute Nov. 8 to 10 at the Community Center of Crawford County.

The next time an Apache is expected over Meadville is Nov. 8 at 8:45 a.m., Cunningham said Thursday night. “It took a little finagling, but I finally got one lined up. I’ve been working on it for months.”

What Cunningham didn’t know was that a practice run was scheduled for Thursday.

Neither did Meadville Police Department, where the phone literally rang off the hook for as long as the helicopter stayed in the sky. Pennsylvania State Police’s Meadville barracks was also deluged with calls.

According to City Police Dispatcher Terry Coleman, approximately 100 calls were received, many from parents who said they weren’t going to let their children go trick-or-treating with the giant helicopter hovering in the air. Shortly before 7 p.m., Detective Sgt. Craig Gump advised the Tribune that the chopper was “apparently part of a National Guard training mission out of Johnstown — probably some type of homeland-security-type training.”

Multiple phone calls of our own later, the Tribune was able to reach Chief Warrant Officer Steven Price in Johnstown, who revealed the rest of the story.

There are good reasons people responded to the mysterious appearance with concern. According to the Federation of American Scientists, the twin-engine, four-bladed, multi-mission Apache attack helicopter was designed to serve as a highly-stable aerial weapons-delivery platform. Designed to fight during the day, at night and in whatever adverse weather conditions the world can throw at it, the Apache’s principal mission, according to the federation, is the destruction of high-value targets with the deadly Hellfire missile. Each Apache can carry up to 16 Hellfires, each with a range of more than 8,000 meters. The Hellfire is used primarily for the destruction of hard material targets such as tanks and armored vehicles.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#110161 - 10/26/07 04:59 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: Blitz]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
We had a B2 fly over our house one day on its way to opening day in Foxboro. It did several passes around the area. My girlfriend, having never seen one, started flipping out. She thought we were being invaded by aliens. Took me a while to get her calmed down, I actually had to show her a picture of one to prove what it was.

I know what you mean. Same thing happened in Manchester, England in 1952. Apparently there was quite a panic by the residents.

#110162 - 10/26/07 04:59 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: norad45]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
A conspiracy theorist would argue that the terrorists in Iraq are receiving help from other hostile countries in the region, while there would be no such help forthcoming for American freedom fighters, thus making it much easier for the government to seize control.

I don't know Norad.

The French helped us out when we rebelled against the British.

They might be willing to forget that whole unpleasant Freedom Fries thing and jump into the fray just to tick us off (how's that for circular logic?).

Just in case anyone from the Justice Dept, Homeland Security, FBI, CIA, IRS, Future Homemakers of America, etc are snooping around here, NO I AM NOT ADVOCATING REBELLION. (at least not until after the current season of Heros is completed...)

#110185 - 10/26/07 08:17 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: samhain]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: samhain
...The French helped us out when we rebelled against the British.

They might be willing to forget that whole unpleasant Freedom Fries thing and jump into the fray just to tick us off (how's that for circular logic?). ...

Freedom Fries ?? ... no problemo ... allready forgotten...

But banning "foie gras" ? now, that's a completely different story grin grin

#110195 - 10/26/07 09:49 PM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You had a B2 fly over Manchester in 1952! Wow!!!

#110225 - 10/27/07 01:19 AM Re: Flight Of The Apache [Re: Shadow_oo00]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Oh, I hope who ever wrote that last paragraph get's their fingers slammed in the drawer. That was tantamount to accusing the NG to reckless endangerment.

Personally, I've always liked the things- they look like big dragonflies. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.