Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110325 - 10/28/07 01:09 PM Why is preparedness so much fun?
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I've spent countless hours doing what we all do: studying, evaluating, testing, choosing, purchasing, packing, organizing, storing, etc. And, we routinely, start the whole process over and over again. There's a very large investment in money and time. It's a lot of work. Sacrifices are made. I'm going to grow old and die and mounds of equipment may never get used. Then you have to tolerate all the people who don't prepare; who, in various ways, won't let you forget that you do. You get very little credit for your work. Sometimes, I wonder why my mind makes me go through all this. I feel reponsible for my family and that is certainly part of it, but I almost hate to admit that it's more of a hobby. In short, it's fun. Am I crazy?

#110331 - 10/28/07 01:20 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

why do people collect stamps? Isn't that a similair question. It's just something we are intereseted at. Although i have grown and i'm now investing more in knowledge and skill.

#110332 - 10/28/07 01:23 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Am I crazy?..."

Crazy like a fox...

#110335 - 10/28/07 01:36 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Isn't it just great when you get to purchase and collect all sorts of gear supplies and equipment that you know you'll need one day?

Isn't it just great that if you or someone else needs something like a tool, flashlight, band-aid you think: ''Hey, I've actually got that!' and that people are stairing at you when you always have with you what they need?

Isn't it just great when you are packing as much gear as possible in a space as little as possible, and then spend the whole day repacking it a hundred times?

Isn't it just great that when you see someone having a problem, you don't think: 'Oh god, I'm feeling sorry for him/her' but: 'Now how could I solve this problem' (9 out of 10 times, the answer is duct-tape grin)'?

Isn't it just great when you are picking up stuff that seems completely useless to others, but what makes you like a kid in a candy-store?

Those are some of my reasons..

#110340 - 10/28/07 02:18 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
widget Offline
Addict

You're not crazy. You are being careful to test and evaluate gear. Hopefully, you get out and use it occasionally too.
One thing for sure, if there is ever a reason to leave this city in an emergency, we are not going to get very far, very fast.

#110341 - 10/28/07 02:39 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: widget]
SoarnEagle Offline
Stranger

Xavier...

All of the above answers are awesome. I especially like widgets. You said that you have all this equipment that you will never use.... Why Not?

Get away from it all once in awhile. Take a day vacation and get into the bush.. or even just in your backyard and practice skills. Get familiar with your equipment.

Think of it this way.. I will give you a scenario...

#1 - Nothing ever happens that you need your skills and tools. You are blessed. Instead of HAVING to go into a survival situation you have had the chance many times of putting yourself in faux situations that have built your skills. You have gained wisdom, insight, and overall confidence in your life. You have become a better person.

#2 - A 911 or Katrina happens in your area and affects your life. Or you are on the trail and you see someone else who isn't prepared.. and your kit saves their life! You are prepared... You LIVE... and help others in the process. Either way, your skills have been an asset.

You really can't lose Xavier! And to top it all off... It's fun! Yup.. I would say 'crazy like a fox' says it best. Welcome to the club smile

- Ben

#110351 - 10/28/07 04:05 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Being prepared really is a lot of fun. It's also a great hobby to have. You're not crazy at all.

#110352 - 10/28/07 04:06 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

I suspect it is ingrained in us. Our ancestors only survived if they considered the possibilities, laid up stores, acquired the necessary tools. Possibly even instinctive to many a human.

#110355 - 10/28/07 06:44 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: RobertRogers]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I concur with all of the posts above mine. Just the other night I was checking out all of my flashlights - opening up the housings, looking at the batteries, smelling the insides for acid leaks, etc.., and everyone was looking at me like I was crazy! That made it even more fun.

#110378 - 10/28/07 10:42 PM Re: Why is preparedness so much fun? [Re: xavier01]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Because of my being prepared, I sleep at night, I can find or make options appear when needed, and I have a "hobby" that DW doesn't think is a hobby, so I don't hear any flak.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.