Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110436 - 10/29/07 03:33 AM What Multitool?
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Dear MacGuyver,
My first multitool was a Victorinox model that they don't seem to make anymore. It is the same one you started with but it also has the scissors. My Mom bought it for me when I was a young teen in the early 80's. I have used it for everything, and it is still in my pocket right now.
Anyway, I have been thinking about getting a new multitool for the last ten years, but have been daunted by the task of choosing which one to get. I have narrowed it down to a Leatherman Surge. I think this would be the most versatile, but it is one I have never heard anything about from anybody.
I am wondering if I have made the right choice.

#110440 - 10/29/07 03:56 AM Re: What Multitool? [Re: TQS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I like the surge, but mine has become part of my "truck kit." For me it was just too heavy to carry around. If you don't mind that it's great. Being able to remove the diamond file to touch up the blade it awesome, I wish they all had that ability.

#110442 - 10/29/07 04:02 AM Re: What Multitool? [Re: Paul810]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I agree with Paul810. The surge is 4oz. heavier than the Wave or TTi. For EDC, I'd stick to something a bit lighter. If you don't mind the weight, it's pretty well loaded (but doesn't carry much that I would consider more useful than the Wave except perhaps the awl.

I EDC the TTi now and used to EDC the Wave. They are virtually indistinguishable in terms of performance except for the knife and are all around great tools to have. I'd take the quarter pound lighter tool any day.

Here: Someone posted this the other day and it's a useful tool:
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tool-comparison/default.asp

Edited by massacre (10/29/07 04:03 AM)

#110452 - 10/29/07 05:52 AM Re: What Multitool? [Re: TQS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi TQS,

I have to agree with the previous 2 posters, I have carried/used the extra large multitools and found them to be just too heavy. I have settled on the full size line of Leatherman tools and am now trying to decide between a new Wave II, AL, ALX or TTI, all are a very functional size/composition and weight around 8 oz which I find comfortable.

Good luck, buying a new multitool is fun.

Mike

#110477 - 10/29/07 12:39 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: SwampDonkey]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Leatherman Wave has been my go-to multi tool

#110483 - 10/29/07 12:54 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: benjammin]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this site who loves the Gerber multipliers. There's just no substitute for one hand opening a pair of pliers off your belt. I admit it wish it had some of the features the newer Leatherman tools have but it's old...and with a lifetime warranty I've yet been given a reason to replace it.

I also sometimes carry a Victorinox Cybertool 34. For me at least it's an incredible tool around town so to speak. It's a bit on the chunky side for a SAK but between the pliers, scissors, and multibit screw driver, it's one of my favorites.

#110496 - 10/29/07 01:56 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
It may just be that my EDC Leatherman tools (original Wave at work, PST at home) are getting worn out (or worn in) but they are loose enough now that a quick one-hand flip will easily open/close them to pliers mode. I also put different colour reflective tape on the sides so I would quickly know which blade/tool was on top.

Mike

#110497 - 10/29/07 01:58 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: ]
bmo Offline

Hacksaw,

You can now cross over to the dark side and embrace Leatherman, I am providing a link to eliminate one of the last obstacles, "one handed opening." wink Once they are a bit "broken in" and not so fresh-from-the-factory stiff, you can open a Wave (or Charge) one-handed. Here are some small file movie links from ETS's review of the new Charge and Wave:

One Handed Opening - Basic - Quicktime
One Handed Opening - Basic - Windows Media
One Handed Opening - Flick - Quicktime
One Handed Opening - Flick - Windows Media

The "flick" method is probably a bit more "frightening" to an observer, depending on the setting.

#110501 - 10/29/07 02:12 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: TQS]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
I'm partial to the newer Leatherman Wave, after using a Leatherman PST for quite a few years. The one-handed opening is great. You can also buy a pocket clip for the Wave which allows you to clip it to your pocket instead of carrying it in the sheath.

Doug has reviewed the new Wave and has a review on the ETS site somewhere.

#110504 - 10/29/07 02:18 PM Re: What Multitool? [Re: cedfire]
bmo Offline

The ETS review of the new Wave and the Charge is here:

ETS Leatherman Charge and Wave Review

Same place I lifted the links to the one-handed opening movies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.