Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107977 - 10/07/07 05:16 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yeah, I was thinking of him to when I first read about this on BF. *shrugs* I'm not going to have to drag their butts out if something goes wrong, so it might turn into something amusing.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108000 - 10/07/07 04:14 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
CBTENGR Offline

I cringe anytime I hear of amatuers who want to go out into the big bad woods and try out the newest thing that they saw Bear or Les do on the latest episode. I just imagine The Blair Witch Project on steroids. Wilderness Survival is called that for a reason, going out with a set plan (i.e., how long, where, what season, etc.) has very little to do with survival. How many factors are really known in a survival situation? Anybody can go out and say that they are going to survive in a given area, for a certain amount of time, and during a certain time of year. That seems to me to be a very stupid and minimal supplies camping trip.

#108005 - 10/07/07 04:51 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: CBTENGR]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Have you looked through their "tips" on survival? I'm specifically referring to their advice on making fire in the wilderness.

The three methods they list are

1. Tin containing char cloth, plus striker and rock.

This is method is of course effective, but to make charcloth you need fire already. Also, making the charcloth probably requires the use of a tin. Since they're going into the wilderness with just a knife, (which would only fulfill the striker requirement)this method is only partially effective. Plus you still need to find a rock to use (quartz or flint).

2. Bottom of pop can.

If you can find one, seeing as you only went out into the wilderness with just a knife.

3. Fire with ice

Oh come on! Are these guys serious? I know this has been done before, but it's not a serious survival method for creating fire.

#108007 - 10/07/07 04:55 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Can DNA be determined from bear poop?

Still sounds like Ziggy.

Sue

#108016 - 10/07/07 08:27 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

And how are they going to give updates on what they've done so far, for however long they're going to stay there? Will someone go into the bush and check on them or what?

With only a knife I wouldn't even try thirty minutes let alone thirty days!

#108053 - 10/08/07 11:51 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Looks like they will have a 3rd person with them.

From their website:

We will have our own camara man along.
We hired a cameraman to do a promotion video and we were so impressed with his work we decided to ask him if he would come along with us on our trip and he agreed. It resolved a lot of our problems. Having Chris (Neon) along with us resolved a few of our problems. One was we needed a way to communicate with the outside world if something were to go wrong. The other was we were worried that if we were hungry, tired and wet, the last thing we would want to do is edit and post video. He will be filming and editing and hike out of the bush and drive to the nearest town to upload the video every 3 days. For this reason the video will be delayed 3 days from when it happens to when you can view it. We are leaving on October 5th and the video will start on October 8th.

Does this mean we are cheating?
The cameraman has strict instructions not to help us in any way. He will be staying in a tent away from us. He is also not allowed to eat anywhere near us. I think the worst thing that could happen is smelling bacon frying while we are eating leaves or bugs!!! This is a personal goal for us. We would find no satisfaction in cheating. We will attempt to complete the 30 days completely unassisted.

I checked the weather for most of northen Manitoba for the next few days, the forecast is mostly rain with temps from OC to 7C (32F to 45F).

Anyone want to wager how long these guys last??

#108063 - 10/08/07 02:29 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Anyone want to wager how long these guys last?..."

If you are starting a pool, can I have yesterday???

#108069 - 10/08/07 03:22 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Canoedogs, I googled this and believe it or not, ended up here!
http://www.equipped.org/andrebio.htm

I'm also going to check out the link to the Primitive Skills Group.

#108070 - 10/08/07 03:39 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: dougwalkabout]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Through early morning fog I see
Visions of the things to be
The pains that are withheld for me
I realise that I can see

That suicide is painless
It brings so many changes
And I can take or leave them if I please

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself.

M

Edited by Misanthrope (10/08/07 03:39 PM)

#108078 - 10/08/07 05:12 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Misanthrope]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Misanthrope, I had no idea you were a part of this board. So what's it going to take to get you to Texas in a couple of weeks

... sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread

Alan

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.