Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107927 - 10/06/07 02:30 PM The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Don't know about this one. I wish them luck, they will need it in more ways then one....

Bare Wilderness is two average guys who are going to go into the bush for 30 days with nothing but a knife and the clothes on their backs. They are not bringing a lighter, tent, sleeping bag, pots or pans, only a knife. They are going in late September or early October in northern Manitoba where the weather can do anything at that time. They only have a few months to learn the skills they will need to survive.

Over the next few months they will be posting videos of what they have learned, so you can learn with them.

Their goal is to not only to survive for 30 days but also be able to live relatively comfortably. In order to accomplish this they will need to learn a lot of skills they do not have prior to there departure.

#107929 - 10/06/07 02:45 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
We shall see.

#107930 - 10/06/07 02:51 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And may they rest in peace.

Hope they make it. What was that trolls name a while back who wanted to do this same thing with his buddies???

#107937 - 10/06/07 04:12 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I think his name was "Ziggy"....what those guys are doing, doesn't sound too smart...

#107938 - 10/06/07 04:36 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
texasboots Offline

Sounds Very interesting to me. I often tell the wife, I would love to see Les Stroud do a longer term survival type of show. Ive seen him go a few shows with almost nothing to eat. I would really like to see what he would do with 30 days or so.

#107939 - 10/06/07 05:01 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: texasboots]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Several years ago I became interested in wolves after rereading Farley Mowat.I collected the classic books, a now rare LP of wolf vocalisations narrated by Robert Redford and met this local nut who posed for Playboy in a contest to use her winnings( she didn't) to finance a rare cat and wolf rescue center ( such facilities anything but rare in SOCAL.) My mother bought me this kitsch ceramic of 'mother wolf and cub' for my birthday instead of the knife I hinted at.I think that statue was just released as 'mother coyote and cub.'And then one day the local neurotic german Shepherd tried to bite my coat from behind and got drop kicked for his efforts. I went in, let out a long sigh, bagged all my wolf stuff and donated it to the library. The survival community can support just so many gurus, and after a point it becomes the pathetic comics of mutant salamanders I saw when teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became popular. I'm going to see the new movie based on INTO THE WILD instead. I'm going to buy a big tub of popcorn, some gummy worms and a 32 oz Doctor Pepper- no rice.

#107952 - 10/06/07 06:55 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sean and Brad in jeans laugh laugh in Manitoba during the onset of winter laugh laugh laugh laugh with just a knife laugh laugh laugh laugh cry

#107968 - 10/07/07 01:40 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I wish them luck but I am extremely sceptical they will survive 30 days based on the information on their website. That is a lot to learn in a short time even for people comfortable with the outdoors. Just learning which plants are good to eat and medicate is a lifelong study. From what I've learned from Mors Korchanski, a person could live off the land in the boreal forest and not eat any meat whatsoever and yet they quote mostly meat items as their food.

Looking at their lean-to shelters - that won't provide any kind of decent shelter for more than a few hours -- no bough bed or anything.

It can be done, I've met a few very capable people who could do it but I just don't have the confidence these guys can. For people who are members to the web site you can vote on their success probability. Personally, I think they will be dragging their butts back to civilization after a few days.

BTW, cotton jeans in the wilderness??? Don't they know cotton kills?

#107971 - 10/07/07 02:43 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm still trying to get a firm grip on what their "game" really is. Smells like creative entrepreneurship to me.

Probably they're trying to leverage a deal for a television series or at least a series of "documentaries" for broadcast. And this is their "pilot" -- except with an added real-time component of video etc. as they go, to generate interest.

The pay-to-get-first-info is a way to pay down some expenses, and get a marketing list for later.

The number of hits on their website will be used as an indication of interest, which is valuable marketing information. So is a lot of the login stuff, even for media, which gives them a marketing base.

If they generate enough buzz/hype/etc., they might just make a buck at it.

Nice thing is, they can't really lose as long as they gather interesting footage. If they suffer hardship and bug out early, it's compelling (people love to watch other people's disasters). If they make it, it's a triumph of man against wild (news coverage). If one of them gets eaten by a bear, that's a total marketing windfall (worldwide coverage) -- tough luck for the guy who gets eaten, that's showbiz.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/07/07 02:44 AM)

#107975 - 10/07/07 04:37 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i'm still trying to track down the film "man of the wilderness"..made in Canada in the later 80's..this guy and
his buddy were dropped off by chopper with just the clothes
on their back..the busted rocks for tools--made fire--
put together a shelter..they were out for months..
this was done as part of his PhD..they kept track of
everything they ate--and they had a small scale to weigh
all the food they found..mosty berrys..this was long before
the survival shows and was the real thing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.