Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#11017 - 12/03/02 07:10 PM Blind Atax love...
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Over the past few weeks I’ve seen here blind love towards the Atax tool. That’s ok everyone is entitled to his own opinion. So here’s mine: I hate it. I think that it’s useless, overpriced piece of junk. Ok since just by making that statement I just angered some of you so let me try to explain my self. If that was your only tool on the deserted island than yes by all means it would be a good thing to have. Maybe an ancient nomad would also prefer something like that. But me? No I skip this one thank you very much. Yes Atax has so many tools inside. It’s a hammer, skinner, wrench, ax, compass etc etc. Yes Atax is all of that and than some. Unfortunately it’s not a full blow hammer; it’s not a full blown skinner or a compass. Yes you can make ax out of Atax but try cutting some real wood and you find that Gerber’s $25 camper ax would be outstanding to have. I want to see you hitting nail after nail with Atax. I want to see you using Atax for navigation and time reading. Atax just sounds cool because there is a possibility of having everything right there. But it’s like cutting corners. You don’t really have the full blown tools at your finger tips but it looks like you do. <br><br> I don’t won’t to step on the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket because such thing can fire both ways. But the thing is that for similar or even lower price you can create a kit that would extend durability and functionality of Atax. Small camper ax, Wave and buck Skinner knife would already be more than sufficient. Because Atax incorporates so many functions it is very uncomfortable and clumsy tool. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great concept but honestly when was the last time that you build a magnetic compass in the field and used sling shot for hunting. And if you think that people are giving you an eye for carrying a tool on your belt and PSK in your pocket I dare you to carry Atax around. Even in the pictures on the Atax website you see guy having stuff strapped to his belt and having a watch right there. So the chances are that even if you are stranded you will most likely have you trusty knife, super tool and PSK on you than having an Atax tool. <br><br>Matt “The Atax hater” :)<br>

#11018 - 12/03/02 07:57 PM Re: Blind Atax love...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love the ATAX. Many people may hate it like you do but many people to not .I agree camp axes are better at chopping wood but you may be out in the wilderness one day and you will fall in a river and lose all of your gear and the only thing you will have is your ATAX on your belt.For the picture that had the watch in it he is just showing you what the time will look like on the ATAX.I think the ATAX is a great tool . And a survivalist came up with the idea. His name is Ron Hood and he uses the ATAX when he makes his survival videos. Well I guess if every body liked the same thing this would be a dull world.

#11019 - 12/03/02 08:06 PM Re: Blind Atax love...
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Just imagine opposite scenario to the one you mentioned: You fall into the river and loose your Atax tool and that was the only thing you had. <br><br>Matt

#11020 - 12/03/02 08:28 PM Re: Blind Atax love...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have any experience with the ATAX what so ever, but it looks to me to be a good idea. I don't like carrying all my eggs in one basket either, so even though I'd be carrying the ATAX with me (if I could afford it), it would only be there to suppliment my tool list by giving me a backup to the tools that I already carried.

#11021 - 12/03/02 10:06 PM Re: Blind Atax love...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Matt. I've had experience with the ATAX, and I don't like it at all. A fellow officer let me use his...by the time I got it, all the "usefull" markings were barley noticable due to heavy use. And that freakin' slingshot....ouch. My arm still hurts from the backlash. If they are ever available for around $20 though, I'd probably get one.<br><br>John McIntire

#11022 - 12/03/02 11:54 PM Re: Blind Atax love...
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't like it that fine.Like I said before if everybody in the world liked the same thing this would be a dull world.But for myself I love this tool.

#11023 - 12/04/02 04:23 AM Re: Blind Atax love...
cyko Offline

Loc: Virginia
Oh Matt, that was good, hahahaha......

#11024 - 12/04/02 04:35 AM Re: Blind Atax love...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Totally agree. Check back a few months on this forum and you will find a farmers tool that does a better job for half the price. You need a hammer, pry bar, and hatchet.<br><br>Mariner.

#11025 - 12/04/02 06:58 AM Re: Blind Atax love...
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

" It's not so much the machine, as the man inside it"- Ritter Manfred Von Richtofen. It's easy to lose perspective in these debates. Investing in a technology or strategy is like joining a religon. You want to convert everybody to reinforce confidence in your own choice. I think if Mors Kochanski and Ron Hood were dumped in the woods with a Mora and Atax both would do fine. Gear is merely the means to the end, not visa-versa of our focus. ;O)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.