Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#110242 - 10/27/07 07:17 AM Re: Another attempt at a kid's hiking kit. [Re: ironraven]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
What Raven said. I got mine from countycomm.com.

#110245 - 10/27/07 08:39 AM Re: Another attempt at a kid's hiking kit. [Re: aloha]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I figured I would post this up. This was my brother's pack from when he was around 8 years old and we were working on outdoor skills.

Pack itself is an old platypus style bag I had. There's a few feet of braided rope on the outside.

The front part kept his water bottle (and snacks). The flashlight and the "My First Victorinox" knife went in his pocket, but afterwards they would go in his pack for storage.

In the back part was a ziplock bag with his emergency/practice gear:

A big black trashbag in s ziplock bag, a "Pocket Medic" first aid kid, two MP-1 tabs, two bandannas, a compass, and a poncho. As well as a SAK classic SD, mag-block, and whistle on a chain.

[He liked the mag bar better than a firesteel, said it was easier for him to hold. He never used the magnesium part of it though. Also, I added Dougs whistle in place of what was in there, since it seems to have gone missing.]

-------
It wasn't really perfect, but he picked most of the stuff out himself and he felt comfortable using it, so I thought that was more important to start.

Right off the bat, I would have added a signal mirror, a metal cup (to boil water), another light with spare batteries, some kind of tinder material (maybe a candle as well), and maybe some gloves (he usually had a hat)

Anyway, by the time he could use everything in there effectively he was already changing things out on his own, trying new stuff, stealing my stuff, ect. At that point I was just making sure he was adding equel or better stuff and still had the basics covered. I know, for me, part of the fun of learning was trying out new things on my own and seeing what I did and didn't like.

Now I don't even need to help him, he's pretty good at picking out his own gear. Unfortunately, he likes borrowing mine better most of the time. sick Now that it's getting cold out he's become a "video game hermit", but I'll get him outside again when I come home for spring/summer. grin

#110300 - 10/28/07 12:59 AM Re: Another attempt at a kid's hiking kit. [Re: aloha]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Perfect... and for whatever reason, that's the only site I don't have bookmarked! www.countycomm.com Thanks guys!

#110709 - 10/30/07 04:01 PM Re: Another attempt at a kid's hiking kit. [Re: digimark]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
I would replace the firesteel with a lighter. Far easier to use. Use the best technology to do the job.
cheers

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.