Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110011 - 10/25/07 04:27 PM Best fuel siphon?
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
Simple question, I hope. I keep three 5-gallon gasoline jerry cans in my garage to fuel my generator. I'm trying to rotate the gas in one can out every six months into my wife's car so I can refresh it. But it's a major pain trying to lift that can up and pour it (oh so slowly) into the tank. I bought a cheap siphon at Lowe's and it worked as well as you'd expect -- that it, it didn't, and broke easily.

I'd really like to get something industrial grade, with perhaps a hand crank, reliable, reusable, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. -Gary

#110014 - 10/25/07 04:52 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The Northern Tool & Equipment Co. has a lot to chose from. I bought mine from there.

http://www.northerntool.com/

Here's the one I bought.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_396428_396428

I just added a section of hose to put in the truck gas fill tube and the other end just sits in the gas can. Might work for you might not, seems to work fine for me. Just a suggestion.

I also have a funnel that has a long wide round opening(10in across by 12 in deep) as opposed to the short traditional funnel design which allows me to pour large amounts at a pretty fast pace. I do hate the new design gas cans that they make you buy now, does anyone know of an adapter kit or a hose to replace those stupid fill tubes?

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (10/25/07 05:59 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#110044 - 10/25/07 08:09 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The Black and Decker Jackrabbit hand pump is supposed to work pretty well. Haven't purchased one to try, yet...

#110053 - 10/25/07 09:11 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Harbor freight gets my vote, over 5 hurricanes and still going strong. Spent many days refilling the Generac 12.5KW from the food grade $25 plastic 55 gallon barrel. Killed me on the gas bill but was nice powering the entire house 100% for days when every body was without power. I guess you got to pay to play.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34679

#110055 - 10/25/07 09:27 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: digimark]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I saw a really cool set up on the Discovery channel once where this guy had a length of hose connected to the neck of a 2-liter coke bottle.

He had a small hole poked in the base of the coke bottle so that when he sucked on the bottle the fluid started to collect in the bottle instead of his mouth (as I've had gas do to me once ---blech!!).

Never tried it myself and using the manufactured ones are definately safer but if you're in a crunch ....

#110077 - 10/26/07 12:50 AM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: samhain]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Had not heard about using the coke bottle, will have to remember that one. Have tasted gas before too, it's something to avoid.

Have one of these and it empties a five gallon jerry can in around a minute,

http://tinyurl.com/2fojdw

But you do have to have the can higher than what you are filling.

And the fix for the California cans is a hacksaw and a cork, at least that is what i see on the back of some of the lawn maintenance trailers around here.

#110118 - 10/26/07 07:49 AM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: RayW]
simplesimon Offline

It's illegal to store more than 5 gallons of petrol at your home in the UK. And for a very good reason. It has more explosive power than dynamite (hence fuel air bombs devastating effect). Don't do it.
simon

#110127 - 10/26/07 12:07 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: simplesimon]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Glad I don't live in the U.K.

#110134 - 10/26/07 12:45 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: simplesimon]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Sorry, air fuel bombs are not just a can of gas that gets to go off. It needs to be vaporized and mixed with air between the upper and lower explosive limits, otherwise no boom. The 5 gal limit is probably more in line with insurance company ideas and houses burning down.

Bill

#110153 - 10/26/07 03:08 PM Re: Best fuel siphon? [Re: williamlatham]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
It needs to be vaporized and mixed with air between the upper and lower explosive limits, otherwise no boom.

I have a story about this. Some of you may have already heard this but it'll be instructional for new members.

Growing up in Minnesota my mom used to catch rain water in 5-gal buckets. One winter she never brought the buckets in so the water in them froze. For some reason I decided to dump the chunks of ice out and in doing so I discovered the water had frozen from the outside towards the middle. The ice was about 1.5" thick on the sides and maybe about 3" thick on the top and bottom. I drilled a hole in the top of one of them and poured out the unfrozen water from the center. Pondering what to do next I decided it'd be really cool to see fire burning inside of ice so I got dad's gas can and poured about an inch of gas into the hollow ice block. Thinking about the safety of this setup, I tipped the block over and rolled it about twenty feet from the house, then set it upright again.

After that, things get a little blurry. I remember lighting a match and, looking straight down over the hole, beginning to drop the match in. Suddenly I couldn't see, my hand hurt, and my ears were ringing but I could hear large "WHUNK!" sounds as chunks of ice crashed out of the sky onto our house, our car, the neighbor's car, etc...

I was only seven at the time but from that second on I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

-Blast

p.s. Kids, don't try this at home! Find a gravel pit or something like that. Make sure it has cell phone coverage and is accessible by ambulance. grin
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.