Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109987 - 10/25/07 02:29 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...they didn't have their lights on..."

Ya gotta love daytime running lights (for those who won't turn their lights on in inclement weather). Too bad they didn't start putting them on cars years and years ago...

#110001 - 10/25/07 03:13 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only problems now with DRL's is they have started using the parking/signaling lights for them. So when you only see one corner of the car you now have to look longer to try and determine if its a DRL or turn signal. They really did help until that change.

#110005 - 10/25/07 03:32 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: Eugene]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Aloha: glad you are ok and the docs say no visible damage, just remember follow all the advise and take the tylenol like you were told

kd7fqd

#110111 - 10/26/07 06:34 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: airballrad]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: airballrad
Originally Posted By: aloha
Originally Posted By: Blast
Hey, welcome to the fire airballrad! Note: I'm never going to ride with you in a car. grin

-Blast

Blast, what's wrong with riding the white knuckle express?

Aww, come on now...

I have not done any of the hitting in my adventures, and I will have you know that I have never had a speeding ticket that did not get thrown out of court *knocks on wood*. I just drive invisible cars, it seems... confused

I'm just kidding. I only say that because I knew a guy with a small plane and he offered inter-island flights to his friends on what he called the "white knuckle airline."

#110112 - 10/26/07 06:40 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: kd7fqd]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks again everyone.

I am glad I haven't been told to take any pain meds. I am not a meds kind of guy usually. The doctors and nurses absolutely freaked out when I refused pain meds after having knee surgery in my younger years.

But the doctors did warn me that the worst will probably be occurring between now and the weekend. Thankfully, so far, the discomfort is just an annoyance. And hopefully, it will be gone by next week. But I am happy to be getting another treatment with the chiropractor tomorrow.

I always thought it involved painful manipulation, but so far, it has been gentle and relaxing. I will still work on getting him to prescribe treatment by a hot babe. wink

#110128 - 10/26/07 12:08 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
I hope your wife wasn't standing close by when you wrote that....

#110243 - 10/27/07 07:18 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: jdavidboyd]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: jdavidboyd
I hope your wife wasn't standing close by when you wrote that....

I made sure she wasn't around first. blush

#110551 - 10/29/07 04:42 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: aloha]
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's always really frustrating when you do everything right (even to go so far as to pull over to use your phone) and someone else's stupidity puts your life in danger.

It's a good thing you're okay, and that it happened in the middle of the day with witnesses.

Speaking from personal experience, the problem with hit-and-runs is that they often go unsolved -- even when there are fatalities. If no one was killed, chances are pretty slim that the police are going to make more than a cursory investigation.

It is very difficult to investigate a hit-and-run based on physical evidence so without witnesses it's unlikely that one will ever be solved. That's why the penalties for leaving the scene of an accident are so severe. When the chances of getting away with something are so high, a greater deterrent is needed.

Police are generally undermanned, and overworked, so cases are prioritized accordingly. Automotive accidents are not high on that list unless they are in some way newsworthy.

Drive safely and remember: Seatbelts do indeed save lives.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#110593 - 10/29/07 11:12 PM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: iain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

"I am glad I haven't been told to take any pain meds. I am not a meds kind of guy usually."

Used to be thought that, partly because all medications have side effects, toughing it out had many advantages. It may still have some but now we know there is also a down side. A lack of pain relief can greatly slow recovery, delay restoration of function and can, in some cases, can lead to much more pain much in the very long term.

It has been shown to a fair degree of certainty that early administration of effective analgesia reduces the chances of, or extent of, phantom pain after a limb is amputated. The science shows that to some extent trauma and intense pain reprograms the brain and how it perceives pain in the future.

One might assume that exposure to pain would increase the tolerance and increase the threshold for pain but the long term effect seems to be exactly the opposite. The trauma of intense pain very much increases both the physical and psychological effects long term.

While your certainly free to decline medications you may not be doing yourself any favors.

Generally speaking chiropractic treatments do not involve any significant amount of pain if done properly. While I do favor chiropractic treatments for simple back pain, where he offers quick and effective relief, I am careful to reign in the enthusiasm of my chiropractor for the rest of the ailments he claims to be able to treat.

Given free run of my health-care, and checkbook, he would treat everything from ingrown toenails to dandruff. There are no limits to what he claims to be able to effect with his combination of manipulations, dietary supplements (Sold in the office naturally) and homeopathic potions. IMO most of these are effective largely to the extent the patient is suggestible or subject to the placebo effect. We have developed an understanding.

I also make sure he curbs his tendency to get me on an open ended program. When I go in I tell him up front to do what he can in three visits. After three visits I reevaluate his progress. The longest series was six visits after a fairly serious accident. Over thirty years I have gone to several chiropractors for about a half dozen issues.

#110797 - 10/31/07 07:22 AM Re: Survived a car crash [Re: Art_in_FL]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
"I am glad I haven't been told to take any pain meds. I am not a meds kind of guy usually."

Used to be thought that, partly because all medications have side effects, toughing it out had many advantages. It may still have some but now we know there is also a down side. A lack of pain relief can greatly slow recovery, delay restoration of function and can, in some cases, can lead to much more pain much in the very long term.

It has been shown to a fair degree of certainty that early administration of effective analgesia reduces the chances of, or extent of, phantom pain after a limb is amputated. The science shows that to some extent trauma and intense pain reprograms the brain and how it perceives pain in the future.

One might assume that exposure to pain would increase the tolerance and increase the threshold for pain but the long term effect seems to be exactly the opposite. The trauma of intense pain very much increases both the physical and psychological effects long term.

While your certainly free to decline medications you may not be doing yourself any favors.

Generally speaking chiropractic treatments do not involve any significant amount of pain if done properly. While I do favor chiropractic treatments for simple back pain, where he offers quick and effective relief, I am careful to reign in the enthusiasm of my chiropractor for the rest of the ailments he claims to be able to treat.

Given free run of my health-care, and checkbook, he would treat everything from ingrown toenails to dandruff. There are no limits to what he claims to be able to effect with his combination of manipulations, dietary supplements (Sold in the office naturally) and homeopathic potions. IMO most of these are effective largely to the extent the patient is suggestible or subject to the placebo effect. We have developed an understanding.

I also make sure he curbs his tendency to get me on an open ended program. When I go in I tell him up front to do what he can in three visits. After three visits I reevaluate his progress. The longest series was six visits after a fairly serious accident. Over thirty years I have gone to several chiropractors for about a half dozen issues.

Aloha Art,

Thanks for your comments. I have always declined pain meds, even after knee surgery. I guess I have a high threshold for pain.

My chiropractor has been really good. His goal is to make sure I am fully documented for my insurance, I get treated for the causes of my discomfort regardless of who does the treatment, and for me to stop seeing him as soon as possible. I went to school with him and trust that he is doing the right thing for me.

Today, I discovered Thai massage by a very talented lady. WOW! She is good. I have never had a Thai massage before and it was the best massage I have ever had. First of all, it is fully clothed and no oils/lotions are used. She had a pair of pants and a shirt laid out for me to change into. They were cool, loose and comfortable. The shirt was like scrubs, but it was a Thai shirt and the pants are long and comfy. Thai massage is a combination of a very strong deep tissue massage and yoga, with lots of stretching.

She was able to tell me how the guy hit my car from working on me as well as tell me how I sit when I work. She was also able to tell me all the stuff that was bothering me. I told her generally when I went to see her and she filled in the blanks and was able to tell me specifically what was wrong. Then she went to work on it.

A Thai massage is not one where you can relax and fall asleep during. It is active and is almost like a massage with a mini work out built in. She did warn me before we started that I might hurt a little bit for a day or two after. She likened it to how you feel the day or two after exercising if you haven't in a while. It was good enough that I am going to try to get my wife an appointment too, if she wants to go.

She did tell me that she thought I could take pain very well as she worked me pretty hard. I had a really tight knot in my neck and she was working it with steady pressure. It hurt during, but felt good after. She kept talking to me during that time. I was just doing my deep breathing and told her that it not only helps me with pain relief, but helps to get the massage in deeper. She told me she was talking to distract me so it might not hurt as much but the breathing for a deeper massage and a deeper stretch was the correct thing to do.

Anyway, long story short, deep breathing is my normal pain med. It has worked for me all my life so far and the side effects are good ones.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.