Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109880 - 10/24/07 09:27 PM 30 mins to leave your house...discussion
teacher Offline
Old Hand

over on lifehacker.com there is an interesting so cal fire kinda related question about "What would you take if you have 30 mins to evacuate your house?"

30 mins to leave...

I noted, on brief glance, a lack of food or tools. Leave your responses below.

Teacher

#109887 - 10/24/07 09:45 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: teacher]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
It is very interesting to look at some people's priorities (or lack there of). Most people seem concerned with computers/data/pets. I can understand pets, but what good is a computer if there is no power or let alone food or water?

Although, i guess...depending on the magnitude of the evacuation, heirlooms, pets, pictures, data, computers, etc. may be SOME people's top concern if the evacuation.

Some of the people in the discussion are betting pretty big on the fact that the evacuation will be short term, well organized, and most importantly, aided by "some greater authority" that will provide the basics: food, shelter, etc.

Nevertheless, SOME people seemed to have their plans fairly well organized...

Just my $0.02

#109888 - 10/24/07 09:49 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Rusty]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

I should post the contents of my BOB on the Lifehacker discussion. Maybe it would get some people thinking...

My signature is very fitting in this discussion i think...

#109894 - 10/24/07 10:12 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Rusty]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Rusty
...snip... I can understand pets, but what good is a computer if there is no power or let alone food or water?

...snip...

The reason to grab a computer is the data that is on it - I'd grab my CPU chassis, and leave the rest behind - it's the ultimate set of backup disks - of course family, pets and vital docs go first
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#109897 - 10/24/07 10:45 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: KG2V]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Put the dogs in the bug-out trailer kennels, hitch up and leave with time to spare.

Food, water, clothes, important docs and supplies for 30 days are always ready in our bug out trailer.

A backup computer is also installed in the trailer. Every night a batch job copies current data from our servers to the backup computer.

We are always ready to bug out....and often do for long weekends.

#109898 - 10/24/07 10:47 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: teacher]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: teacher

I noted, on brief glance, a lack of food or tools. Leave your responses below.

Teacher

An evacuation is different than bugging out. This scenario is completely different than say, an earthquake, because it is relatively localized (contrary to the media reports) A few miles outside the fire area and everything is normal. People aren't worried about surviving the elements with what they have in their BOB's, they're concerned about saving their belongings. If I was in that situation, I'd be grabbing anything irreplacable, pictures, documents, pets, money, antiques, maybe computer stuff. I definitely wouldn't be thinking about food or water or tools, when I could just drive 10 miles go buy whatver I need. I'd probably have some of those basic items already in my car, but for this situation there's nothing really life threatening if you don't have the necessities.

#109900 - 10/24/07 11:15 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: teacher]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
EASY EASY EASY.
Already got a punchlist printed out and ready to go.
(did I ever say I love , not like, LOVE punchlists?)

1) Hurricane Boxes:
food, water, cleaning supplies, cooking supplies, batteries, port radio, chem lites, tp, paper towels, paper plates, plastic cups, disposable eating utensis

2) Personal bug out bags:
2 days of clothes, book, toiletries, towel, psk, fak, light jacket/heavy if winter, multi tool. sak, ipod and charger, nalgene bottle, bug spray, space blanket.

3) Household Black Box:
pending bills, household control binder, phone cards, envelopes, stamps, stapler, tape, pens and pencils.

4) Firebox folder:
2 rolls of quarters, emergency cash, extra checks, b/u of quicken and quickbook files, quicken and quickbook cd's to reload the program if needed, copies of passwords, copies of driver's license, ssn cards, copies of medical ins cards, resume's, professional licenses, life ins, house ins, photos- scanned on cd's, home movies-sooned to be converted onto dvd's but now still on VHS)

5) Household First Aid Tacklebox:
Besides FA supplies, 7 days of prescriptions, and OTC meds-- If I'm bugging out I gotta have my Immodium and Excedrin!!! (was that too much information?)

6) Camping Equipment loaded in/on my external framed pack:
Tent, tarp --already bungie corded together, sleeping bgs, air matress -- for my hunny bunny, beercan stove and fuel, cooking kit, shovel, rope, water filter, micropur tabs, water containers, coleman stove and fuel.

7) Emergency Equipment:
(gun and ammo, walkie talkies, cell charger, maps, tool box)

8) Notify Loved ones
(punch list has them listed -- I just thought about adding their phone numbers as well)

9) Secure House:
(shut off water and power, lock doors.

10) other tasks:
(to be determined)

Most of this is already living in their own boxes or packs. The only things that need to be packed is the camp gear (though the bulk of that lives in it's own big tupperware box) and the DW and DD's individual BOBs. My daily backpack pretty much stands as a BOB of it's own.

I would love (not like, LOVE) some feed back on my punchlist. I haven't done a 30 minute drill (yet) but I think it sounds like fun.

#109901 - 10/24/07 11:19 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: ducktapeguy]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

ducktapeguy, I agree with you. Bugging out is different than evacuating. It all depends on WHY you are evacuating from (fire, earthquake, flood, etc.) In the case of the SOCAL fires, typical BOB gear would most likely be a lower priority than family heirlooms, pictures, data, etc.

I didn't read that the lifehacker discussion was SPECIFICALLY aimed toward the fire evac. (OOPS!!). (I'm the guy who assembles things without using the instructions that came in the box).

I would definitely grab my computer chassis (even though it weighs 50+ pounds). I have put way too much time/money into building it for it to be lost in a fire.

PS: I like the guy in the Lifehacker discussion who said he wouldn't take anything because he likes the feeling of "owning nothing".

#109904 - 10/24/07 11:43 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Rusty]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm in SOCAL. I threw an extra bag of clothes and my get-home-kit in the back of the truck along with my range bag, shotgun and a .22LR rifle. Then I grabbed a small bag with my nomex clothes and put that up front with my EDC backpack. That took less than 30 min. A lot of stuff stays in the truck so I was just grabbing extras. My laptop was stored in the truck the first night.

That was also two days ago and the truck hasn't left the garage since. Folks around here are coming back home so I'll probably unload tomorrow.

#109913 - 10/25/07 12:42 AM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Russ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Being it's only me in my apartment at the moment it's much easier than it would be for most. My truck is already loaded up with tools, gear, food, water, and clothes.

Therefore, assuming I'm already dressed, I just need to grab my laptop, my safe, my school bag, and my boots/jacket (which are by the door). I could be out and on the road within five minutes.

I also make sure I always have at least a half a tank of gas, which would easily get me back to my parents house 200 miles away (even with a lot of traffic).

In my opinion, it's a good idea make up some kind of a bug-out kit with food, water, clothes, and other basics that you keep in the car. You might not be able to get to your house in an emergency, but your car is usually nearby. Keeping a kit in your car gives you two places (car and home) where you have basic supplies you can grab. That way you have what you need to survive time spent away from home.

Also, If I had it with me I would probably grab my dirt bike. If I got hopelessly stuck in traffic I could fill my backpack up with stuff, throw it on my back, and cut through traffic on the bike.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.