Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109975 - 10/25/07 01:19 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Eugene]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Eugene

Not to get off topic but that reminds me of some of the news stories and pictures you see during or after a disaster, where the people are taking TV's, blenders, stereos etc. I mean if you have the extra time and space then I say go for it, like you I think I'll stick with the more important things.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#109978 - 10/25/07 01:48 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, what I'm saying is the laptop has all my important data on its drive and if I take it rather than just the drive then I don't have to find a system to plug it in to, its ready to go.

#109979 - 10/25/07 02:02 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My laptop is my office, it's not optional.

#109980 - 10/25/07 02:03 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
with 30 minutes, we(myself, mother, brother and sister) could probably pack the whole house into a PODS container if we were putto it. Packing the essentials and personal valuables in that time would be nothing. Personally I'd stuff most of my clothing into a duffel, pack my laptop into my backpack-which already contains a change of clothes, travel size toiletry kit, and a novel-and grab the family photo albums if someone else hadn't already done it. Everything else could be replaced. We have lots of family in NC, so if major damage occured, we'd head there.
As others have said, half an hour is a long time to pack. I could probably pack the whole family's clothing, meds, important documents, and computers into the van by myself in half an hour.

The only problem I can think of would be the cats. We have six of them, so unless by some miracle they all happened to be in the same room at the same time, at least one would end up being left behind.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#109983 - 10/25/07 02:22 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats basically what I'm getting at, taking my laptop is not about taking some material posessions, its about the data on it and me using it every day.

But with 30 minutes I sure could pack a lot. Each vehicle already has a GHB and toolkit, then we would just take the bob's, the fireproof safe, the small storage drawers in the bottom of our closet which has all our other inportant personal items, etc.

#109989 - 10/25/07 02:31 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Folks with the mindset to be regulars on this site should be able to be packed and ready much quicker. My camping gear which would get me by in a bug-out is always ready to go, it was just extra stuff. . . This kind of evac is different though. Camping gear is useful because it gives a place to sleep. Laptop is a given, some of the pictures on the walls would go, that's quick. Most of the other stuff here is just stuff, replaced with a checkbook -- nothing to get upset about.

The point is that with just a little situational awareness, you can be packed way early and have much more than 30 minutes to prioritize and make those decisions without an immediate fire threat. I was mostly packed before the first evacuations started.

#110000 - 10/25/07 03:12 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't even worry about pictures on the walls, I can re-print them.
Checkbook?, hopefully you don't still use one of those.

#110004 - 10/25/07 03:28 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: teacher]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Easy.

1. The Small Fire Box of the Really Important Papers & Some Cash
2. The already-ready, always full Water Containers (total of 15 Gallons)
3. The Three External Hard Drives & The Three Notebook Computers
4. The Backpack of Handy Stuff (Kitchen, some food, Sanitation, simple Tools, lights, chargers & batteries), stored under the basement steps.
5. The Backpack of Extra Clothing & A Tent (Stored Right next to the pack of Handy Stuff).
6. Some blankets
7. Some kids toys and books for all of us
8. 10 Gallons of Gasoline
9. Depending on where we were going, some small firearms & ammo.
10. A cooler with a few beers.

I can - and have - been able to load all of this in under 10 minutes.

#110006 - 10/25/07 03:36 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: MartinFocazio]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
WOW.....There are other prepared people besides myself here in Pennsylvania.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#110015 - 10/25/07 05:09 PM Re: 30 mins to leave your house...discussion [Re: Shadow_oo00]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Great discussion - great ideas.

The two greatest threats in my area are tornados and ice storms, so surviving the first and shelter-in-place for the second have been my focus. However, one of this country's chemical weapons repositories is 25 miles down the road, so I'd better rethink...

1) Most here put their computer very high on the must-save list, but my antiquated, hardly-any-memory, piece of garbage isn't worth saving and has no essentials stored on it. There's some time saved.

2) Rusty: do post your list there, if you have not already. Information is power.

3) What is the difference / advantage / disadvantage - of keeping important papers in a "Blast-inspired" notebook as opposed to the firebox some have mentioned?

4) Wildman: ever since I read the list you use, I have wondered how to store water in a pillowcase. ???

5) Samhain: I love (not like, LOVE) your lists. They are helping me prepare NOW, (one of the biggest lessons I have learned here - get it ready BEFORE it is needed) and in an emergency would help me stay focused and organized.
BTW - I lived in BRLA for many years. I think I would move bug spray up the priority list.

LBNL - Another valuable lesson learned here is to plan LAYERS of preparation: the stocked car/truck/camper is the giant BOB, then the self-carry-BOB if you have to ditch the car, then the "essentials" fanny or chest pack (LOVED that idea, BTW) and finally the PSK, or as I think of it, the micro-pocket pack.
No, Ducktapeguy, the kind of bugging out done in CA now is not the mass (i.e. nuclear disaster) kind, but in a "limited" emergency, roads closed or clogged by by flooding, fire, collapsed bridges or fallen trees, or grid-lock traffic may keep a vehicle from getting you out of harm's way. You may have to get out under your own power - hence the layers.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.