Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109828 - 10/24/07 02:49 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

"...I used to be a surplus guy until I discovered that climbers and hikers have better equipment than military and at lower prices..."

That pretty much says it all. Military gear is meant to be tough (ie heavy), yet readily replacable (something breaks, you go to supply and get a new issue). Most of it is also designed to be "one size fits all (or none)," in many cases, backpacks for example, you can get a much better fitting pack from a civilian outdoors store...

#109834 - 10/24/07 03:40 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: NightHiker]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
It may be as cheap as dirt, but after it breaks it is as useful as dirt. wink

#109843 - 10/24/07 04:25 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Rusty]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
One outfit I've had good luck with is Amron Intl, I see they have the Kelty MAP 3500 3-day pack on sale for $99 with free shipping (boa green color). The MAP is the COTs version of whatever it is they build (or built) to mil-spec. I used that pack as my everyday dayhike pack this summer and it is legitimately comfortable, roomy and bombproof. A good deal at $148, a steal at $99.

http://www.amronintl.com/diving/products.cfm?id=631

#109848 - 10/24/07 05:26 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Jesse_Gibson,

I really can't think of anything, that is so called milspec issued to American or British Armed service units as standard kit for survival/camping gear which out performs its civilian counterpart except maybe a wooley pulley. (Quick think wink ) Nope not even a wooley pulley, that is unless you happen to need a specific requirement such as carrying mortar bombs, grenades and lots and lots of ammunition or specific NBC requirements.

Even the very best kit issued to elite SF units will be most likely be a civilian product just made in Camo or OD.

#109925 - 10/25/07 02:01 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jesse_Gibson Offline
Beast
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks for the responses, both relevant and irrelevant.

The ebay link was one of which I wasn't aware, as I had no account there, but I do now...

I look forward to reading and occasionally posting.

Carry on... wink

Edited by Jesse_Gibson (10/25/07 02:10 AM)

#109939 - 10/25/07 02:57 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Dragonscript]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Also, the cutting edge is more expensive than what the rest of us were using five to twenty years ago. Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is ok, but some of it is just bad, to.If you really and truely must look like an old supply depot that got hit by a tornado, http://militarylogisticsmfg.com

Keep in mind, that with the rapid fielding and unit funded purchases, you are getting a lot of cutting edge gear that is now made in "military" colors. But it isn't surplus, it is COTS items.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109961 - 10/25/07 06:17 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: ironraven]
Jesse_Gibson Offline
Beast
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Also, the cutting edge is more expensive than what the rest of us were using five to twenty years ago. Some of it is good gear, a lot of it is ok, but some of it is just bad, to.If you really and truely must look like an old supply depot that got hit by a tornado, http://militarylogisticsmfg.com

Keep in mind, that with the rapid fielding and unit funded purchases, you are getting a lot of cutting edge gear that is now made in "military" colors. But it isn't surplus, it is COTS items.

Sure thing...

Yeah, I 'T-R-U-L-Y' must look like that. Hell, I even want to be able to spell while wearing that stuff... wink

Joking aside, I appreciate the links and I have found what I was searching for. Some good guys here; I'm going to like this place.

Edited by Jesse_Gibson (10/25/07 05:05 PM)

#110217 - 10/27/07 12:31 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I owned two MilSpec backpacks. One had a poor internal frame and neither of them felt very comfortable. They were durable, and a lot cheaper than the Arc'teryx backpacks I replaced them with. If MilSpec works for you, that's great..but the two I had were a backache.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.