Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#109766 - 10/24/07 02:26 AM Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question
Jesse_Gibson Offline
Beast
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
I have been searching back and forth, hither and thither for mil spec survival/camping gear, just like the military stuff best. I find pieces here and there at various Military surplus sites as well as other places. I was just curious, is there a sorta all inclusive seller on the web? Or perhaps you folks could shoot some of your favorites places?

Much obliged, in advance,
Jay Gibson

#109767 - 10/24/07 02:28 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

these guys are really great

Dropzone

-Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#109776 - 10/24/07 02:53 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: climberslacker]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Brigade Quartermasters (actiongear)

and maybe...

Cheaperthandirt

(Cheaperthandirt is more a shooting supply place but they do have alot of other neat stuff)

Just my $0.02

#109796 - 10/24/07 08:58 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Rusty]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I like CTD too, but just FYI, some of their gear is of questionable quality. I've rarely had problems of their stuff, but some of the comments on their site may cause hesitation.

#109797 - 10/24/07 09:25 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: MDinana]
simplesimon Offline

US cavalry sell lots of issue gear. Some stuff they sell is junk, but if they say it's official issue it is. And they include reviews on their web site. Don't assume that it is better because it is military though. A lot is worse.
simon

#109799 - 10/24/07 09:54 AM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Rusty]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I ordered classic woolly pullies from Brigade Quartermasters, fast delivery and no extra fees (I'm from Canada), they wrote "machine parts, other" on the package so I guess that helped... I ordered genuine paracord from Countycomm but then again, maybe the manufacturer is Rothco which makes a lot of replicas. I wonder if they still actually use this paracord for its original purpose.

I think it's hard to get "genuine" military issued items without them being worn out, especially if they date a couple of years. You can get old new stock sometimes. I can live with decent quality replicas if I think the design is good and the material is good. In the military they also get a lot of civilian equipment too.

Frankie

#109809 - 10/24/07 12:05 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, Jesse! I have to second the Brigadre Quartermaster for high quality stuff. "Cheaper Than Dirt" is okay for low-impact use. Their stuff is a cheap Chinese knockoffs and may find little glitches in their stuff.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#109815 - 10/24/07 12:55 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Blast]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I only buy Camelbak,Blackhawk and Maxpedition

The suppliers I buy from are either

1.Brigade Quartermaster
2.Ebay ( I have received some good deals, you just have to be careful, look at the selling price and the shipping charges, sometimes the total is higher than buying from a catalog but other times its a lot less expensive)

If your looking for military left overs this place is pretty cheap.

http://stores.ebay.com/A-Z-Army-Navy-Military-Surplus_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (10/24/07 01:22 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#109817 - 10/24/07 01:33 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Jesse_Gibson]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Mil Spec is not always the best especially if it comes from weird dealers since most likely it is a chinese knockoff/low quality items. I don't know if by mil spec you mean new stuff or surplus stuff. Real military specs stuff is always expensive but well worth it. Companies like Arcteryx or Eureka make military equipment that is available in limited quantities to civilian personel (or thru surplus dealers) but it is crazy expensive since they count on gov't contracts.

Few sites and some of them are mentioned already:
www.actiongear.com
www.lapolicegear.com
www.uscalvary.com
www.tadgear.com
www.countycomm.com

Ebay is always good but used survival equipment always needs to be rechecked and depending on use even reconditioned. Example: bought a tent and saved $100 but spend $50 on resealing and taping it.

I used to be a surplus guy until I discovered that climbers and hikers have better equipment than military and at lower prices.

Edited by Polak187 (10/24/07 01:38 PM)

#109821 - 10/24/07 01:51 PM Re: Hello... First Post. Mil Spec Question [Re: Polak187]
Dragonscript Offline

One thing you have to remember about the military is that they have very specific needs, which might not be yours, and it is always technologly behind the latest civilian gear. The reason for this is because it usally takes several years for something to get approved and issued out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
51 minutes 57 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.