Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#109530 - 10/22/07 08:10 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
[quote]
Originally Posted By: Erro...snip....Plus you can mix it with water and those little flavored Crystal Light packs for a nice adult beverage when you stop for the night... Orange flavored is particularly good...(I read this somewhere.)

...snip... [/quote

I hear it's better with the lemon on a hot day - or so I hear

A trashcan filled with Grape Hi-C, fresh fruit, and Everclear in a house filled with co-eds is also pretty nice...uh, so I hear.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#109539 - 10/22/07 09:32 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: Erro]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Potable alcohol over 90% is hard to find in some places. I've been looking for some for ages and have to stick to regular alcohol camp fuel.

#109580 - 10/22/07 11:42 PM Re: Field surgery [Re: Erro]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I just hate the thought of burning up good sippin' booze! And for a slightly different taste, you might try the Crystal Lite instant tea. I didn't read that somewhere, I did it. And still do...

#109625 - 10/23/07 04:46 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Y'all are giving me bad FLASHBACKS from the 70's, including the 3 day hangovers!!!!!

#109636 - 10/23/07 06:50 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: ]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
A few days ago I dropped by the local CVS and picked up some more medical supplies for my large FAK I keep in the trunk of my car. It started out as a "Weekend" geared first aid kit bought at Wal-Mart and has gotten larger. I just recently added an assortment of rolled gauze, stick free gauze bandages and 2x2" and 4x4" pads. It's outgrown the hardshell case that came with it. I need to find some sort of EMT bag for it now. Maybe add a few more things.

an Aloksak in any expedient carrier works great for me.

#109637 - 10/23/07 06:52 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: dchinell]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

dchinell, you did a great job. Self-surgery is hard, one-handed even harder. I am glad it didn't get infected.

#109638 - 10/23/07 06:56 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: Erro]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Erro
Originally Posted By: dchinell

I have been using Everclear in my stoves and it works great.
I was beginning to think it was not that great an idea to cook using a fuel that had poison mixed in it.
It is hard to find anything purer than Everclear.
I use the stuff to de-grease my face, clean my glasses, disinfect wounds, and fuel my stove.

Totally agree on the Everclear. I used it with my home made stove on my Appalachian trail hike. Great stove fuel that also works to clean cuts and scrapes, freshen up etc...

Plus you can mix it with water and those little flavored Crystal Light packs for a nice adult beverage when you stop for the night... Orange flavored is particularly good...(I read this somewhere.)

IMPORTANT: You must get the Everclear 190 (95% alcohol). The Everclear 151 is only 75.5% alcohol and WILL NOT burn well in your stove. (Though it will in your tummy.) (Or so I've read...)

Only problem is, some states don't sell the 190. Florida does not. Georgia does. Those are the only two I know of for sure. (And shipping it is a big no no.)

I think it's the ultimate backpacking fuel. Multiple uses, can be stored in a light plastic container, the stove weighs only a few ounces, and less than an ounce of fuel will boil a cup of water in under 4 mins. Not as fast as a pressurized fuel stove - but a fraction of the pack weight. (And MSR fuel makes a lousy screw driver...) (Or so I've read.)

I am glad to see so many well read members on the forum! And such good listeners.

Edited by aloha (10/23/07 06:57 AM)

#109639 - 10/23/07 07:04 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: aloha]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

The ice packs in first aid kits degrade pretty quickly too. Ours failed after cleaning and bandaging my friends thumb that he almost cut off at the first joint. But we were able to get him stabilized and to a hospital within about an hour or so. He kept his thumb although it was a little questionable when it doubled as a pez dispenser. I am glad I got it cleaned and wrapped before his wife could see it. Thankfully, she only saw it after the stitching. Otherwise, she would have freaked...even more.

I would suspect hand warmers would go bad too, but have never used one here.

#109640 - 10/23/07 07:12 AM Re: Field surgery [Re: aloha]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I use a swiss army messenger bag with a couple of those cheap insulated zippered lunchbags to separate bandages from meds/solutions, and then keep burn kits on the side in their own pouches. Hardware items like a stethoscope ride on top & the field surgical kit rides on the other side of the lunch pouches.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.