Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109262 - 10/20/07 02:09 AM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...But birds and fish... yeah, well done..."

And hamburger, don't forget to good that well done...

#109263 - 10/20/07 02:13 AM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: paramedicpete]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I should know better, especially being a microbiologist blush, but the preferred way (at least for the youngest and myself) to eat beef is to cut the meat into cubes, soaking it in teriyaki sauce and eat it raw. I do (sort of) cook beef, but it is always red in the middle, just has so much more flavor.

My son-in-law, my oldest and wife require I cook the meat to at least medium-rare (what a waste of good meat), while my middle, youngest and I prefer the meat on the very rare side.

My rule of thumb: just show it to the flame and if it is not mooing, it is perfect grin.

Pete

If the beef is good quality (and most is these days) and the Teriyaki sauce has enough acid, salt, or other ingredient which will kill microbes, you should be fine...as long as you soak it long enough.

#109277 - 10/20/07 03:32 AM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Medium well. That will kill anything in there.

I hope.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109285 - 10/20/07 07:36 AM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
If the beef is good quality (and most is these days) and the Teriyaki sauce has enough acid, salt, or other ingredient which will kill microbes, you should be fine...as long as you soak it long enough.

Went to a Japanese restaurant a while ago and had some raw (thinly sliced) beef with a Teriyaki type sauce. I'm not a raw meat eater but it was pretty delicious.

#109323 - 10/20/07 09:27 PM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
One of my favorite combos at a local restaurant is grilled rare Ahi Sashimi, with just the outside 1/8th inch or so cooked, rolled in sesame seeds, and served with a soy and sesame dipping sauce, with wasabi on the side. Then the 2nd part is a 20 oz cut of prime rib, rare to medium rare, with an au jus and a horseradish dipping sauce on the side. Maybe a little salad in-between the two, otherwise, just a glass of a good peppery Lemberger with the prime rib.

#109342 - 10/21/07 02:20 AM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: benjammin]
Fallshirmjager Offline

I have a Brunton Crux stove in every vehicle and back back on the place. It stores in the hollow of a gas canister in a padded case, along with a mini-bic to light it. This is kept inside a Everlight stick-free titanium 1.0 L pan and lid, in it's stuff sack.

Besides the stove, there is room inside the pan for teabags and sugar packs for 14 cups of tea, a small sponge/scouring pad, spoon, and tube of bio-degradable soap. Weighs right at 1 pound.

The gas cylinder has enough fuel to boil water for 3 Mountain House meals a day, with 2 cups of tea, for a week, if you don't waste it.

If you use the smaller 3 gram cylinder, you can store a cylinder, Crux stove, tea or coffee, 3 food bars, and repackaged freeze dried meals (9 meals), along with a folding alpine cup and a lot of survival gear, all in one of those soft sided lunch bags Wal*Mart sells for a couple of dollars, for a simple and un-tactical/survivalist looking 3 day BOB on the car seat beside you, or under your desk at work.

The stove itself weighs only 3 grams, hides in the palm of your hand (screws onto the stove), boils water extremely fast, and will even simmer, something even a large stove has trouble with.

The Crux has been replaced with a newer version with a better pan holder, but I saw REI had a big sale on the older Crux without the case the other day on their website.

#109363 - 10/21/07 12:26 PM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: Fallshirmjager]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If I put any stove in the car it will be of the Omnifuel type so that it can be run using Gasoline.

#109509 - 10/22/07 05:05 PM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
You might think that, but there are a lot of organisms that thrive under some pretty unusual conditions (high salt, high or low pH, high temperature, low temperature, with various levels ofO2, without O2, etc.).

Pete

#109684 - 10/23/07 03:11 PM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: paramedicpete]
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
1- Knock off horns

2- Wipe his old nasty butt

3- Drag across coals. . .ONCE on each side

4- Consume with gusto

#109687 - 10/23/07 03:18 PM Re: Emergency cooking? [Re: inkslngr]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
3- Drag across coals. . .ONCE on each side

Man, y'all are ruining good meat! Just show it a picture of a fire then plop it on my plate. Blood is what makes it taste good.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.