Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#108840 - 10/16/07 04:22 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: TQS]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: TQS
As far as we can tell, definition means “honest description”. There are many creative and intelligent ways to phrase honest descriptions. One of our definitions for the phrase “survival kit”, and one which we feel quite reasonable, is “a kit containing the items necessary to ensure survival is a distinct possibility in basic worst-case (life-threatening) scenarios”. And yet, subpar definitions seem to be all the rage these days.
A currently popular definition of “survival kit” seems to be “to increase the likelihood of successfully performing certain tasks which might or might not be part and parcel to the livability of an ideally anticipated survival situation.”

How about we just use the practical survival kit definition “a kit designed to make an emergency survival situation easier”? Under this definition, the kit could be as small as a keyring or large as a steel storage container.

Definitions such as these are easily thought of as the design criteria for many popular “survival kits” that include such things as travel sewing kits, pencil and paper, and of course fishhooks. The one that comes immediately to mind is the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit”. Kits such as these do not adequately address the needs of many basic survival situations, such as amputation, snakebite, hypothermia, dehydration, self-defense, etc. Our thinking would have our survival kit address the most fundamental survival concepts, ensuring that immediate basic life-saving first-aid needs and immediate subsistence needs can be met.

Altoids tin kits are not designed to address every possible survival situation. In fact, I do not think you could address every possible survival situation even with the space of a steel storage container. Altoids kits are designed for one thing: to supplement other EDC gear in serving as an interim replacement in case you get separated from the primary pack/gear/kit you had with you. If you thought your life was saved by an Altoids tin from the get go, you grossly missed the point.

#108844 - 10/16/07 05:16 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: AROTC]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: AROTC
Does it serve all survival needs, no, but with five very small tools, being hypothermic and lost are admirably taken care of.

This idea, as well as the whole Altoids Tin Kit debate reminds me of something I read once about ninja. Whether this is legend or fact, I like the concept of "roku gu", tools for traveling. It was a set of 6 or 7 items that were often carried when traveling. Each one served a purpose and most served several purposes. The only tool I remember was a stone stylus used to leave inconspicuous, but necessary messages for other friendlies that would follow behind. I guess reading about that inspired me to start my EDC habits.

I used to talk about the psychological boost of having kit. Even a few choice items at hand can remind someone that they have a modicum of control in an out of control situation. No, not every want can be met, but most vital needs (at least in the short term). I think often some people interchange the concepts of "survival" and "comfortable temporary displacement". Sure, I'd rather have a Heatsheets Bivy on a cold night outside, but a well built fire will more times than not stave off hypothermia. My teeth my chatter all night long, but at least I'm less likely to freeze to death. The bivy would help and be more comfortable, but the fire will get the job done.

It's like the concept of hollowing out a toothpick and storing three yards of dental floss in it. The chase for the ideal and smallest kit is fun for some of us. The challenge of putting together a kit that has the smallest (useful) and fewest number of items to get by is fun, but it's also a good thinking exercise. It encourages me to think of how many different needs can be met with one tool. It's a way of "thinking outside the tin". And that, as most of us agree, is the most important survival tool...a knowledgeable, adaptable and creative mind.

My EDC is constantly changing. I carry some items I think will be useful, go months without ever using them, so I ditch them and try something else...or nothing else. EDC, survival/comfort kits will never be perfect. Murphy's Law will almost always find a way to poke a hole in your best laid plans (and best planned kits). But the important thing is that we...and I think I can safely say "we", have decided that we will not let the unexpected catch us unprepared. We choose to assert as much control as we can. And we will not go gently into that dark night.

#108845 - 10/16/07 05:20 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: JCWohlschlag]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

In fact, I do not think you could address every possible survival situation even with the space of a steel storage container.

I think i am going to try that. That way I can buy a truck and take it with me everywhere, increasing pollution, which in turn will increase the likelihood of me actually being able to use my stuff, if I can find it among the stuff for alien invasions, tornadoes, and the ocean drying up.

-Jace

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#108846 - 10/16/07 05:28 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
...if I can find it among the stuff for alien invasions, tornadoes, and the ocean drying up.

Go with a van and save space by combining the Alien Invasion gear with the Zombie Uprising gear.

#108851 - 10/16/07 06:09 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, the van is better than the truck, as you don't have to go outside and expose yourself to zombies, acid fog, and taser attacks.

This fact came to me one dark night when I had to leave a campground in my pajamas. I climbed into the seat, turned the key that was already in the ignition, turned on the headlights and left.

Sue

#108861 - 10/16/07 08:04 PM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: TQS]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I blame Doug Ritter.
He fubar'd big time when he designed the RSK Mk1-3 without a built in time/space warp for us to stash the rest of the kit in. grin whistle

Seriously:

To me an Altoids tin kit is the equivalent of a hollow handled knife kit.

In mine I have:
5 needles (assorted)
2 plasters.
1 Silva S.E.R.E. compass (luminous).
1 single edged razor.
Assorted split-shot.
6' cord.
1 spark-lite.
13 tinder-quick as 10 bagged and 3 loose (ready use).
10' high strength sewing thread.
1 ultrasound probe cover (unlubricated condom).
2 sheets rite-in-the-rain paper.
9 MP-1 tablets.
4' wire.
24 hooks of various sizes.
1 rubber jig lure.
20' 12kg fishing line.
36' of fly-fishing backing line.

I tend to have other things around me like:
Knife,
Multi-tool.
2-6 15' lengths of 550 cord.
E.D.C. ring.

Clothing as dictated by the weather. Mostly cold and wet.
Other tools and kit.

One thing that I do disagree about is the appropriateness of a fishing kit. Some people think that you don't need one. I don't completely agree with that.

Given that hooks can be used to catch birds etc as well as fish I tend towards the attitude that you should consider carefully before leaving them out. If you do carry them, carry a lot. Most effective methods of fishing (trot lines etc) require at least 5 hooks per set up. And you want to set 3 or 4 lines.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (10/16/07 08:06 PM)
Edit Reason: 1st line did not make syntaxical sense.

#108869 - 10/17/07 12:16 AM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: TQS]
AlexSchira Offline
Stranger

The main complaint here is that micro-kits are not capable of handling major emergencies and long-term survival. The other point the plural-speaking topic maker makes seems to be...These kits would work better in a Bradbudy-esque future world?

The goal of an 'Altoids' kit as the slang goes, is to provide an on-body back-up system to items usually found in a pack or otherwise found on the body. A hiking pack is, when you look at the categories it contains and the contents, a survival kit one relies on for living outside of society. It just doesn't have that fancy emergency purpose. The beauty of those tin-kits is that it gives you an extra layer of gear if all else fails. It is by nature the last thing keeping you from having to 'Go Macgyver' with nothing but your brain and the environment. Can the tin function as a mobile emergency room? No, even a loaded ambulance is an inferior care system, as is some major hospitals when faced with the worst case.

A compass can keep some one from making a giant circle, wandering with no direction or orientation.
A tiny LED can allow for movement and functioning at night, makes signaling and emergency response much, much easier.
A lighter or matches creates fire, ultimate source of heat, a powerful signaling tool, and a psychological boost of security and component of food preparation, even water purification.
A knife creates shelter, food, tools, and tasks in general easier.
A whistle is a near-ideal signaling tool, emergency device, and animal deterrent.

I just pulled these survival basics, out of a cinnamon Altoids tin I had lying around on my desk. If all I had were the clothes on my back, this kit, and my brain...I'd still be able to come home.
How are these micro-kits comical, again? Besides the fact they're candy tins, of course.

#108880 - 10/17/07 01:43 AM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
alien invasions

Yes, but which aliens. *stroking beard* Some are actually hives of specialized spores, similiar in concept to a portugeuse man of war or coral, held together by static charge- bullets won't bother them, but an air compressor and a good bottle will ruin their day, or a leaf blower or large fan. So will dryer sheets, if you have to go hand to hand.

But who would be that prepared? Firearms, flamethrower, crossbow, swords and axes, oaken stakes, paintballs filled with everything from holy water to olive oil to bread mold, those are all common items in the survival arsenal. But no one includes dryer sheets.

*grins*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#108892 - 10/17/07 02:13 AM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: ironraven]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
I don't use an Altoids tin, but use a small Tupperware container about 1/2 larger than an Altoids tin. I keep about a dozen items in it to cover fire starting, small pocket knife, fishing kit, water purification, needles and carpet thread, 10' of strong multipurpose cordage, emergency whistle, signal mirror, button compass, AAA flashlight, fine point tweezer, minibic and waterproof matches, flint and steel. It's handy, fits in cargo pocket, backpack, etc.

I'm frequently in the woods hiking and fishing, so I like to be prepared. I also keep a few food items and diabetes testing kit and extra medication in my backpack. It wouldn't do to have a diabetic episode in the woods alone.

My kit can handle all of the primary needs. I have read too many stories about people who get themselves in trouble or hurt without so much as a pack of matches in their pocket.
I almost never go anywhere without an Arcteryx daypack, which also holds a substantial first aid and trauma kit. I am a former medic and have many items most people would not have in a kit. Too many people rely on small bandaides and that's all.

And I'm never without a substantial folding knife or fixed blade nearby that can create a shelter.

The bottom line is knowing that I have a small pocket kit I can rely on while the man on the tv is trying to ceate a fish hook out of a piece glass he found.

#108896 - 10/17/07 02:30 AM Re: Concerning the “Altoids Tin Survival Kit” [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
But no one includes dryer sheets.

grin grin grin

Of course, some of us know how to make our own dryer sheets on the spur of the moment...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 398 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.