Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#108966 - 10/18/07 01:27 AM Winter survival; silk neckerchief!?
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hello fellow survivors. In the book Winter Wise, the author lists a silk neckerchief in his clothing section. I remember when I was in the Cubs we used to wear them (but I forgot how to roll and tie them). I've read that the cadets and sailors also wear them traditionally. What are all the uses of a neckerchief, especially from a winter survival point of view and from a sailor's tradition and historical point of view? And why silk (which is a bit expensive but feels luxurious) and not another cheaper fabric?

I know the neckerchief used in the Scouts is big enough to serve as a first aid triangular bandage but can you come up with particular usages? And is there a difference in size between a bandanna and a neckerchief?

And where can I find good quality silk neckerchieves?

Thanks
Frankie

#108968 - 10/18/07 01:36 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
I'll let the experts comment on uses.

Head for a sewing supplies store and buy yourself a couple yards of silk, and sew up the edges. You can make 'em any size and color you want!

#108969 - 10/18/07 01:40 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Farmer]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks for the common sense type of idea which I will consider. But why silk? What are the virtues of silk in winter (other than the wicking underwear layer?

Thanks

#108970 - 10/18/07 01:56 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My wife has a set of silk long johns, she says that, in addition to keeping her VERY warm in cold weather, they feel great against her skin. My common sense and logic wants to tell me that silk is too thin to do much heating, but I guess I am wrong about that...

#108975 - 10/18/07 03:04 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
OBG your wife is right! Years ago I had a pair of silk long john bottoms, and they were fantastic! About the same price as a pair of really good polypro. What I liked most was the warmth without the bulk. I highly recomend them.

#108977 - 10/18/07 03:32 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Matt26]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...OBG your wife is right!..."

Don't tell her that, I will never hear the end of it!!!

(actually, she is right about 99% of the time, but don't tell her that either)...

#108981 - 10/18/07 03:56 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Why Silk:
First it is the strongest natural fiber available. Yes spider silk is stronger but you can't acquire enough cloth.
Second is that it has a very high insulative value. Yes even higher than wool on a per weight basis. It also has very good wicking properties.

Also while keeping you warm as a base layer. When used as the outer or single layer it is cool in summer.

Since it is very light weight the scarf or bandana can be much larger for the same weight and packed space it will take up.

http://www.texti.net/intersoie/uses.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Properties-and-Characteristics-of-Silk&id=488797
http://www.towson.edu/campusrec/AP%20forms/pm%20layering.pdf

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#108991 - 10/18/07 05:39 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Raspy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Silk is strong when dry (they used to make parachutes out of it), quite a bit weaker when wet.

Dries much more quickly than cotton or wool, won't make you sweat like polyester (plastic fibers), it's more insulative than you would think, very light, packs small.

If you could find one about 45x45", you might be able to use it as a shemagh if it wasn't too slippery (How to Tie a Shemagh: http://www.actiongear.com/agcatalog/shemagh.html ) to keep duststorm dust, building collapse dust and volcanic eruption ash out of your face.

Two or three layers of silk are great for air travel in varying temps, PLUS it won't melt to your skin if something fiery happens.

Classy garrotes.

Dharma Trading sells a lot of silk scarves and clothing at very reasonable prices. The catch is that it's all white, as they're artists blanks: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3302-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html And if you want silk fabrics, http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1665272-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Habotai is probably what you would want, it comes in several weights. If you've got a high-maintenance woman around, she'll probably be perfectly happy to advise you. I see a lot of guys in fabric shops these days, so don't feel funny. Buy a yard of something in camo if it makes you feel better, and the clerk will just nod and ask how much you want.

But if you want camo silk fabric, you may be limited to snydercreek.com.

Sue

#108992 - 10/18/07 07:54 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
I have understood from this thread that silk will keep you warm, but I've always thought of silk as a delicate material, how does it keep up with the rough and tough of everyday.

The only experience of silk I have with is with silk ties, pick up a stain, coffee or whatever and bye-bye tie. Someone once said take it to the dry cleaners, only round here it's 7 euro's ($10) to clean a tie???? So I try to avoid silk ties for that reason. So what's the maintenance on a silk neckscarf/bandana?

How big is a scout scarf?

#108994 - 10/18/07 11:18 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
My Wife is usually right also, Problem is she knows! crazy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.