Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109220 - 10/19/07 09:14 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: billym]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Personally, I don't think removing a layer would have any impact on the strength of this tool. That comes from the springs and especially from the solid aluminum slabs that form the handles.

I would be more worried about mods to a "standard" SAK. Those plastic/nylon handles add a lot of stability to the whole tool, and if they aren't reattached properly, the knife could be mangled by a twisting motion.

Keep in mind that modifying a SAK will wipe out the warranty; and if the rivets don't hold, noone is responsible for the consequences but yourself. ($20 isn't a lot to risk, though.)

#109222 - 10/19/07 09:34 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: billym]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you really know how all those little parts go together then go for it. But the fact that you're asking if you should use bolts or rivets to put it back together tells me you don't know. I don't even know how to take it apart so maybe it's just my ignorance talking. Would Victorinox Service do it?

Then again, why not try it -- you're only out $20 if you can't get it back together as well as you'd like and it might turn out great. dougwalkabout's idea of reusing the same rivets is good. At least they'll be the right size.

#109231 - 10/19/07 09:55 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: Russ]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: RAS
If you really know how all those little parts go together then go for it. But the fact that you're asking if you should use bolts or rivets to put it back together tells me you don't know. I don't even know how to take it apart so maybe it's just my ignorance talking. Would Victorinox Service do it?

Then again, why not try it -- you're only out $20 if you can't get it back together as well as you'd like and it might turn out great. dougwalkabout's idea of reusing the same rivets is good. At least they'll be the right size.

No I have not tried this before. But look at an SAK; not that many parts. It can not be too hard.
I don't expect to get a warranty.

Edited by billym (10/19/07 10:05 PM)

#109268 - 10/20/07 02:22 AM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: billym]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the info. I also ordered one. Although I prefer my one hand opening Trekker because the blade locks, this knife should be less intimidating to those at work that don't like knives. It is red like most Swiss Army knives!

The modification I like is to sharpen the large screwdriver blade to make it into a chisel. I got this idea from my Swiss Tool. The blade still works well as a bottle opener and pry tool, but it now provides a safe way to fine tune traps, etc. I have found the chisel modification very useful.

Spud

#109290 - 10/20/07 01:13 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: spuddate]
Russ Offline
Geezer

A chisel is useful. I broke the tip off a small blade on one of my SAKs (my fault) and rather than send it in to get the blade replaced, I gave it a chisel-like tip in a tanto profile -- functional.

#109295 - 10/20/07 01:47 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: Russ]
duckear Offline
Addict

price is now $27.99

I wonder if Amazon software bumps up the price if a deal is linked and gets a bunch of hits start coming in.

#109300 - 10/20/07 02:16 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: dougwalkabout]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

I would be more worried about mods to a "standard" SAK. Those plastic/nylon handles add a lot of stability to the whole tool, and if they aren't reattached properly, the knife could be mangled by a twisting motion.

Not really. The cellidor scales are just press fit on the ends of the peened rods holding the knife together. You can easily pop them on and off. Victorinox and other 3rd parties offer replacement scales. I've removed/replaced them a lot, and made custom wooden scales. If you do it too much the holes in the scales get worn out and the scale just falls off. The strength of the knife is in the liners and the rods holding the knife together.

The alox scales are a completely different story. They're peened on.

Kevin B.

#109319 - 10/20/07 08:55 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: dougwalkabout]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Hmm, The only "Woodsman" I can find has the same three-layer design, but has a marlin spike with sewing hole instead of the standard awl.

Anybody have a link for the 2-layer alox SAK with a saw?

http://www.smartknives.com/Victorinox-Knives/Victorinox-Pioneer-Range.htm

Victorinox Pioneer Range Knife
The Victorinox Pioneer Range Swiss Army knife provides a sharp blade and a wood saw, in a handsome and light-weight aluminum ribbed alox finish. This model has also been called the Woodsman knive, although there is another version of the Victorinox Woodsman which is very different.
*** continued ***

#109325 - 10/20/07 10:08 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: Stu]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
SBRaider,
Cool? That was kind of thinking of. I would like to keep the awl but an alox SAK with just a blade and saw; that would be very cool.
Bill

Edited by billym (10/20/07 10:15 PM)

#109326 - 10/20/07 10:15 PM Re: Vic red Farmers super deal / great survival to [Re: billym]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I'd wonder if Victorinox Service would make one (custom) if you sent them a Farmer. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.