Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109185 - 10/19/07 05:07 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: dougwalkabout]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For $39 you just saved a bunch of money without switching to GEICO to spend on other stuff, er kit; really mundane and unromantic items like sleeping bags and a box of matches. Stuff, er kit that may very well mean the difference in a survival situation the fanciest knife cannot influence. Surgical Steel is an old advertising ploy. There is no such animal.Medical instruments are made of various finely grained stainless steels. The finer the grain, obviously less nooks and crannies for pathogens to take up residence and make evicting more difficult in an autoclave unit.This translates to what the mills have that works and costs the least.It's one of the 440 series of steels, AKA in Europe as ROSTFREI with it's own advertising schtick of metallurgy Sigfried would want for killing a dragon and bathing in it's blood.It's not the best for initial sharpening until you cut through the factory edge and get it set up. If you don't know how, get some help. And for another shameless plug for a trusted dealer, buy some inexpensive Moras from www.ragweedforge.com to practise on first.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/19/07 05:09 PM)

#109190 - 10/19/07 05:32 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: Erro]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I am certainly no expert, but I've bought and used knives for decades. My opinion is that I get the best value for my dollar with Gerber knives. There are more expensive better ones, but I have bought more Gerber knives than any other brand because I find that value/dollar ratio hasn't been beat when I've sprung for more expensive better knives and certainly not for cheaper knives.

Take care of it and keep it sharp; it will serve you for years or till you lust after something else, whichever first occurs.

#109210 - 10/19/07 07:31 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: norad45]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I am currently waiting for a Randall 25 6"..."

Great choice. I would love to have a Randall 25, but my choice would be the 5" (just looks better to my eye). I have a Model 5 5", and a Model 8 4". I would almost be willing to trade both of them for one Trapper. Calm down guys, I said almost...

#109219 - 10/19/07 09:02 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The Gerber Big Rock knife will NOT work as a survival knife ...

... unless you have it with you when you need it.
Enjoy your knife!

Welcome to the forum!

You don't need expensive items for a decent kit. Doug's Personal Survival Pak is a great example. For just $25 you'll find yourself the proud owner of some really high quality gear.

Have fun gathering your gear. Read lots. The folks on this forum bring an incredible wealth of information and talent.

#109221 - 10/19/07 09:19 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yep, that fits my philosophy. Learn to use what you carry, and always carry something worth using.

#109238 - 10/19/07 10:42 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Welcome Newguy!!!

"... Are other, more expensive knives a better value?..."

Probably not. Gerber has been making knives for quite a few years, if their products were junk they would have gone under long ago. There are some really high dollar blades that might be a little tougher, but then there are probably some that cost more and are worth less. If you are happy with it, you got a deal.

It used to be that Gerber was made in the USA but becareful now there are gerbers out ther made in Taiwan, and China amd they are inferior to the USA made knives.

#109239 - 10/19/07 10:59 PM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: Blast]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
Along with knives Gerber also makes very high-dollar industrial cutting equipment like computer-controlled machines that cut out intricate shapes from assorted materials.

FYI. that Gerber (Gerber Scientific) is a totally different company, no connection whatsoever with the knife company named Gerber Legendary Blades.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#109258 - 10/20/07 01:16 AM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: Erro]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Welcome new guy.

Originally Posted By: Erro
Are other, more expensive knives a better value?

The good ones, yes. The key question is are they enough better for what you paid for them, based on your needs. None of the knives currently in my collection would cost over a hundred dollars to replace, and only a few would be more than fifty dollars.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#109264 - 10/20/07 02:15 AM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: raydarkhorse]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Welcome Newguy!!!

"... Are other, more expensive knives a better value?..."

Probably not. Gerber has been making knives for quite a few years, if their products were junk they would have gone under long ago. There are some really high dollar blades that might be a little tougher, but then there are probably some that cost more and are worth less. If you are happy with it, you got a deal.

It used to be that Gerber was made in the USA but becareful now there are gerbers out ther made in Taiwan, and China amd they are inferior to the USA made knives.

Same goes for Benchmade. Their bottom of the line blades are made in China...my ERT-1 was made in China.

#109274 - 10/20/07 02:39 AM Re: Advice please, on a survival knife [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Oops, I stand corrected.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.