Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#97104 - 06/10/07 03:45 AM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
What is "normal people camoflauge"? Are you talking about buttons and patches that make the setup look less "tactical"?

Yep. Anything that helps make me of the large stature, long hair and big beard look less like a homicidal backwoodsman/mercenary/biker and more like a hippy, junior grade. :P I've really come to like MOLLE for this becuase I can put velcro on the backs of the patches, and just run 1" wide strips of the other side of 'cro down the inside of the channels. If I need to pull them off, just takes a few seconds.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97106 - 06/10/07 04:05 AM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: stealthedc]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Not sure on the weight, maybe 8-10 pounds. Most of this stuff is pretty small, my total volume here is less than a cubic foot and it's hanging about my navel. Keep in mind that BOB is extra gear, this is the critical stuff. BOB holds more food, more water, more FAK, more shelter, more socks, better knife, better light....

There is a Vic Hiker in the core kit, along with a glasses repair kit. I EDC a LM Supertool, pocket knife (varies some), Micra (key ring), Squirt E4 (bag of tricks) and Vic Camper (bag of tricks); BOB has a spare Ka-bar attached to him. Not worried about sharps. smile

The drop cloth is bulky and somewhat fragile, that's why I want to replace it with a slightly smaller tyvek. I had one of these that I cut down, but it wouldn't repack properly and ended up taking more room than it did before I cut it down. Machine rolled vs hand rolled. frown

The redundancy on fire starting gear is the result of repeated hypothermia and frost bite. I don't fear the cold, but sure as the sun rises I respect it, the same way I do a catamount. And I don't trust my skills at building a fire with a bow drill, not at 30 below. I'd rather have it in the kit that I don't even have to take off to get into- personal preference.

And the esbit is there becuase building a fire, while easy, can also be a pain in the butt. I'm afraid part of my "STOP" list includes making tea in one of the two halves of the mess kit that the core kit lives in. If sitting down, thinking, and looking around while the tea brews gets me unstuck in ten minutes, I'd rather not have to spend time being 110% positive that a fire is out. Also keep in mind my situation- rural roads. I honestly don't want to leave much of a trail unless I choose to.

And I agree about the buttpack. But they don't work as well with a full pack, but a chest rig does. Having tried to jury rig the old carrier for my ditch kit into a chest rig for many years I eventually gave up and bought something made to work the way I wanted it. And this thing breaths wonderfully, better than any vest I've ever worn even though it has all the practical space of a modular vest, due to the lack of a back.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97107 - 06/10/07 04:13 AM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: stealthedc]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

The Grundig is very practical, IMO. No need for ear buds, and it's about the size of a pack of 100-size cigarettes. It handles AM/FM and most of the shortwave spectrum- I just wish it also handled analog TV and aviation bands, but we can't have everything.

#97114 - 06/10/07 05:44 AM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: NightHiker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

8, maybe 10 pounds. When I pick it up by the straps, it feels about has heavy as my Garand. :P It just rides better.

#97118 - 06/10/07 01:56 PM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ironraven
8, maybe 10 pounds. When I pick it up by the straps, it feels about has heavy as my Garand. :P It just rides better.

So, evidently, offering you 8 to 10lbs of hiking/survival gear should be a good trade for that Garand.... smile

(super jealous right about now)

#97145 - 06/11/07 04:42 AM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, right. :P

That's not a family heirloom like the Carbine, but I wouldn't trade the Garand for anything. It has never failed to fire, never hiccuped, never complained when I fed it junk ammo, and it hits what I aim at. And I can leave enblocs loaded just about forever without worry.

#97157 - 06/11/07 01:57 PM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...The greatest battle implement ever devised..."

Gen George S. Patton. He was kinda goofy at times, but he got it right on that one...

#97164 - 06/11/07 02:35 PM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: ironraven]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Nice job. I'm presently working on my vehicle BOB and was interested in this statement:
Quote:
It should be carried seperatly from the BOB, or attached to BOB in a manner that lets you shed BOB and extract the ditch kit in 30 seconds or less.

That got me to thinking about how long it would take me to exit the cab of my truck, unlock the shell (2 locks), and grab my BOB. So I timed it. It took 18 seconds. But that was in daylight with no stress. I do carry an augmented NRA Survival tool kit in the cab but you've got me thinking I might want to--no, make that need to--add a few more items to what I already keep there. Ah, just what I needed--another kit. Thanks a lot! grin

#97167 - 06/11/07 03:02 PM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: ironraven]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

5 US dimes...?

#97177 - 06/11/07 04:39 PM Re: Ditch kit (pic warning for 56K) [Re: teacher]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: teacher
5 US dimes...?

I'm guessing it's either to bribe the fish if they don't bite, or if you only have half-shots of booze, where 'quarters' is too much.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.