The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109020 - 10/18/07 07:20 PM Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks
Hacksaw
Unregistered

http://hennessyhammock.com

Anybody have experience with these? I'm so very close to ordering a full 4 season setup from them as opposed to a tarp shelter/bivy combo.

#109024 - 10/18/07 07:45 PM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Some folks swear by them, some folks swear at them.

I have one and am happy. I also have a hammock I made myself I prefer, because it is a top loader (not bottom entry) and the bugnet is removable.

That said, the H.H. is more spacious than mine, but I still like the the top load myself.

As a matter of fact, I am planning on selling my H.H. if you're interested. it's the A-sym model.

#109026 - 10/18/07 07:53 PM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Have you looked at these: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
I have one of the expedition hammocks and it has served me well.

Edited by TQS (10/18/07 08:02 PM)

#109027 - 10/18/07 07:58 PM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
bmo Offline

The following link takes you to a pretty complete review by someone who took an Ultralight Backpacker A-Sym and an Expedition A-Sym out into the field for use and comparison. I stumbled across it some time ago and thought enough of it to bookmark the review.

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=170

My interest was peaked, so I found some more reviews:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/hennessyhammock/

I am still waiting to buy (budget). Hope the reviews (if you haven't seen them already) and the input from other members helps you reach a decision.

#109028 - 10/18/07 08:11 PM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Here's my summary of the hammock situation (this is after four years of trials and experiments).

For a light, highly-integrated, easy to set up and take down hammock, the HH is hard to beat.

However, the flexibility of the top-loading hammock is much greater than for the HH. Further, you can easily assemble an inexpensive kit with NO sewing experience.

http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

With a top-loader you can use inexpensive closed-cell foam pads to insulate beneath you, rather than an expensive, custom-tailored underquilt. You can elect to have a mosquito net over you or not. You can experiment with many different types of tarp -- material, shape, size, etc.

Of all the manufactured hammocks available, the Mosquito Hammock (Expedition model) is the one I prefer and recommend.

Though I own several of each model made by Mosquito Hammock, lately I most often use a hammock of my own design.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/

(Look in the Photos for my album "Bear's Pix" and check out the Dream Hammock pictures.)

I suggest you prepare yourself to buy more than one kind of hammock and be open to experimenting with home-made rigs.

Bear

#109038 - 10/18/07 09:43 PM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have an Expedition Asym and love it.

The only thing I would do different is to order the larger hex fly instead of the asym fly that comes with it.

I slept in mine during a thunderstorm and my right shoulder got wet. After emailing the HH folks they pointed out that I was probably lying in it centerline instead of of catty-corners as designed.

Though they were right, I still want the larger fly.

Haven't taken her out in really cold weather yet but looking forward to it.

check out this link for some more info on HH.

http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock3.html

#109058 - 10/19/07 12:10 AM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: samhain]
humbytheory Offline
Stranger

Hello. I second what Samhain said. I too have the Expedition Asym and bought the larger fly. Oh and the snake skins (wrappers for the HH) are great. They really make setup and packing quick and easy.

One thing when mosquitos are around you need to sleep on something that is thick enough to keep them from biting through. The first night I spent in one (back home in South Texas) I woke to find them gorging on the buffet I unwittingly volunteered.

-H

#109080 - 10/19/07 01:37 AM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: humbytheory]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
I also have the expedition asym. It's a pretty good one man shelter that's light, easy to set up and not too expensive. But it has it's quirks, off the top of my head:

Pros:
Light, 2lb 10oz if i remember right.
Easy to set up, just tie to trees.
Fast setup, easier in rain.
Off the ground, don't need to worry about dirt or bugs.
Really comfortable, no rocks, water running in etc.
Can be set for pretty tightly closed or wide open, if the weather's good, roll up the fly.
Condensation in cold weather should roll down the fly
No fiddling with the poles, hooks, stakes, flies of tents.
No people asking to 'borrow' it to change dirty clothes etc.

Cons:
You have to pitch where the trees/poles are. Deserts are not good.
You have to pitch in the direction of trees, may not be best for wind.
The regular fly isn't so good in blown rain, get the bigger one for security.
Can't sit down on the 'floor', it's only really good for sleeping.
No place to put lots of gear inside, it all slides into you.
You still need to carry either a insulating pad or underquilt unless it's really hot and then the mosquitoes will bite you through the fabric.
You will be tempted to fiddle with the tie-outs, treestraps incessantly to get the perfect hang.
Only 1 person at a time, can't invite your 'new special friend.'

#109088 - 10/19/07 02:02 AM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: ]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I wish somebody would invent a hammock/tent. It would have a tough enough bottom to be used on the ground, with some kind of edge strapping to keep the edges slightly above, etc. It would require two poles, but that could be the next invention. A tough hiking staff, pointed at both ends, that separates in the middle to be used to pitch the hammock/tent on the ground when there are no trees around. I wish! I wonder if anybody else has given any thought to how to make this kind of idea work very well. It might require an small adapter-piece, like a metal guitar slide or something, that fits around the screw piece of the staff, to avoid damaging them when hammering. I can't imagine it would be too hard, and I know I would buy one, I mean two!

#109098 - 10/19/07 02:25 AM Re: Opinions wanted on Hennessy Hammocks [Re: TQS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

All this awesome feedback on the HH and I'm still leaning towards a bivy and a small tarp. By the time you add everything you need for 4 season use I could get a good bivy, a good light tarp for additional shelter and still have money left over.

I was at my local outfitters today and it always amazes me just how small those damn bivy sacks pack...makes the prices seem that much bigger wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.