Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#108997 - 10/18/07 11:39 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Matt26]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Here is a list of uses that is given to the Boy Scouts some will be of use some wont as they are troop specific. The web site gives details for each use. It also gives the size as 28’x32’, the one I wore in the navy was much larger but I don’t remember exactly what size it was.
http://pinetreeweb.com/neckerchief.htm
Summary of Uses for the Scout Neckerchief
The Scout Neckerchief may be used:
1. As an International Morse signal flag.
2. For sending messages by Semaphore code.
3. In knot-tying practice.
4. For Troop and Patrol identification.
5. As a reminder of the Scout Good Turn, (single knot).
6. As indication that wearer is not a Cadet, but a Scout.
7. As a substitute for a belt.
8. As a shoulder mat.
9. As a smoke mask.
10. As a blindfold for Scout games.
11. As a dressing for a burned face and neck.
12. As a sweatband for confining the hair.
13. For identifying contesting teams.
14. As a swatter in playing games.
15. In the three-legged race, to tie legs together.
16. In games requiring contestants to be hobbled.
17. In game called "Badger Pulling," to make binder for heads.
18. As a nightcap or ear protector.
19. As a muffler for storm or blizzard.
20. As a cover for a pail of water.
21. As a loincloth or bathing trunks.
22. As a triangular cap bandage.
23. As a napkin.
24. As an apron.
25. As a table clothe.
26. As a dust clothe or cover.
27. As a "Hobo" bag.
28. For a tumpline to carry a load.
29. To lash poles or staves together.
30. As a smoke signal.
31. As a red flag on projecting end of load.
32. As a patch for a canoe, when properly treated.
33. As caulking for a leaky boat, when properly treated.
34. For distress signal, lighted for a "flare."
35. As a pad for the head in carrying heavy loads and wherever needed to prevent chafing.
36. As a padded glove for the hand, to prevent blisters.
36a. As a blindfold for rescuing a horse from fire.
37. To pad portions of harness to prevent chafing.
38. To tie up square packages.
39. For fastening ends of the blanket roll.
40. For making lifeline or guard rope.
41. For making rope ladder.
42. For making boat sail.
43 For making emergency clothing

#109002 - 10/18/07 02:36 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Cowboys and WW I fighter pilots wore them to keep their wool shirts or shearling lined jackets from rubbing their necks raw.

In my younger days I had a job driving a tractor in the winter. I had an Army surplus wool overcoat that was great for staying warm, but it would eat my neck up when I would turn my head. Solution was to wear a bandana.

Silk is excellent. It is very warm for the weight (but expensive).

I have some 34" X 34" cotton bandanas that I use similar to these:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=217660
These are larger than a regular hankerchef or bandana.

I have one in my day pack or pocket whenever I am outdoors. In cold weather they help keep your neck warm and keep the wind from blowing down your shirt. In hot weather they serve as a hand towel, sweat rag or just rag. If you don't have a hat, they can be used as do-rag fashion or as a sweat band.

#109008 - 10/18/07 04:34 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Any good Western supply store will carry silk neckerchiefs. These are usually 36 inches square or sometimes even bigger. They are really excellent light scarfs for your neck, potholders, slings, sweat dobbers, improvised hats, pressure bandages....you name it. I always have one in my vest pocket.

There is a website that has been linked here a number of times for a huge selection of colors and sizes. I cannot recall it right now though.

Winter Wise is a pretty good book.

#109011 - 10/18/07 05:58 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Schwert]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Sierra Trading Post has a silk bandana 35"X35" for $12.95

Terramar Silk Bandana

Pete

#109012 - 10/18/07 05:59 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Schwert]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Instructions on how to handsew a pocketsquare are available @ www.samhober.com The proper way to wear a bandanna, aka Wild Rag as now marketed or, as my cowboy mentor most eloquently put it 'your snot-rag' is NOT loosely slung around your neck like some Versace scarve in a Palm Beach Florida PRIDE PARADE-Charlie Russell paintings regardless. Thats a good way to get snagged on drinking fountain nozzles or have a fun loving horse garrot you from behind. Take your- hankie, and fold once into a triangle. Rolling from the fold out to the two points tightly will create tie strings. Now place the folded triangle on the front of your neck, pass the material once around the back and tie off again in front with a square knot. Tuck the the thing inside your collar. If it is warm merely do it up looser.If it gets real warm, roll tightly into a tube, tie again in a square knot and wear as a loose tie, again tucked inside the shirt and optionaly soaked in cold water for relief. Silk is very durable but will wear with time like everything else. Hand wash with a mild detergent in cold water and give a light pressing. Forget the Shemagh sillyness. This is for Les Anglais who think T.E. Lawrence looked good. Get yourself a proper Voyaguer's red knit Toque.

#109017 - 10/18/07 06:34 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Instructions on how to handsew a pocketsquare are available @ www.samhober.com The proper way to wear a bandanna, aka Wild Rag as now marketed or, as my cowboy mentor most eloquently put it 'your snot-rag' is NOT loosely slung around your neck like some Versace scarve in a Palm Beach Florida PRIDE PARADE-Charlie Russell paintings regardless. Thats a good way to get snagged on drinking fountain nozzles or have a fun loving horse garrot you from behind. Take your- hankie, and fold once into a triangle. Rolling from the fold out to the two points tightly will create tie strings. Now place the folded triangle on the front of your neck, pass the material once around the back and tie off again in front with a square knot. Tuck the the thing inside your collar. If it is warm merely do it up looser.If it gets real warm, roll tightly into a tube, tie again in a square knot and wear as a loose tie, again tucked inside the shirt and optionaly soaked in cold water for relief. Silk is very durable but will wear with time like everything else. Hand wash with a mild detergent in cold water and give a light pressing. Forget the Shemagh sillyness. This is for Les Anglais who think T.E. Lawrence looked good. Get yourself a proper Voyaguer's red knit Toque.

Is that Les Anglais with gesture, or without?

& T.E Lawrence AKA Lawrence of Arabia knew what he was about.

#109039 - 10/18/07 09:43 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I am a boy scout and my neckerchief is a isosceles triangle measuring

27" on 2 sides and 38" on the other side. I also have a bandanna that has first aid information on it. You can see it here .

-JAce

Edited by climberslacker (10/18/07 09:43 PM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#109056 - 10/19/07 12:03 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks a lot mes amis les anglais. I was not expecting so many replies. The Terramar silk bandanas from Sierra Trading Post look like a good deal, silk, 35" × 35", I think this is it.

Frankie

#109068 - 10/19/07 01:10 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
http://www.jinglebobs.com/products.htm

I've been thinking about ordering a silk bandana from this site for a long time. I got some cotton bandanas from them a few years ago and they were good quality, but that's all I know about the company.

#109084 - 10/19/07 01:54 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: climberslacker]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: climberslacker
I am a boy scout and my neckerchief is a isosceles triangle measuring

27" on 2 sides and 38" on the other side. I also have a bandanna that has first aid information on it. You can see it here .

-JAce

long ago we had to fold they in half to get the triangle

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.