Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10896 - 11/27/02 09:42 PM Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with Kevlar-lined gloves. They seem to be a standard item for law enforcement officers who worry about searching someone's pockets where there might be a razor or other sharp instrument hidden from view. My reference survival situation is a major earthquake - there's a lot of broken glass around when those happen. I like the dual-use aspect of the gloves (e.g. Hatch Police Resister Kevlar Lined Gloves RFK300); they look good enough for everyday wear to the office, but perhaps they could provide extra protection in an emergency.<br><br>Opinions?<br><br>

#10897 - 11/27/02 10:23 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

blackhawk industries makes a spectra liner for gloves http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1974&d= , withs makes your normall glove cut resistent, for a lower price and without the "tactiacal look" or something...

#10898 - 11/27/02 10:26 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think its a great idea. However I do not know anything about the moisture absorbsion or temperature or anything like that, but sounds good to me.

#10899 - 12/02/02 09:25 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
There are Kevlar only gloves that are made for the meat packing industry. Our rescue team uses them for handling tag lines (under our leather rappelling gloves) while performing helicopter evacuations. They can be bought cheaply if one looks around the net. I have bought quite a few pairs on Ebay for about $5.00 a pair. They make rescue gloves with Kevlar and synthetic leather for around $27.00 a pair. Pete

#10900 - 12/04/02 01:47 AM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use Kevlar gloves on a daily basis when on duty. They provide adequate protection against punctures, cuts, etc...but they DO NOT provide protection from a direct stab or puncture. To my knowledge, no glove within a reasonable price range offers that kind of protection. If you can find some, hook me up with a link. <br><br>Catch my drift? If you were to, say, poke yourself directly with a needle...it would go right through. If someone were to stab you in the hand...it would go right through. But if you were simply searching pockets and cars, and scraped up against something sharp, you're pretty well protected. I often make the subject empty his own pockets if I feel the presence of a needle during a "pat down."<br><br>For emergency use, I keep 4 or 5 pairs of leather palmed gloves in my BOB.<br><br>John McIntire

#10901 - 12/04/02 04:53 AM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

These sound like a really good idea all around. Anybody including Doug know if anyone had done any subjective tests on these- brand vs. brand and Kevlar vs Spectra for instance?<br><br>Read once that a hand injury in a survival situation could easily prove fatal. Makes sense to me to protect 'em.<br><br>As far as wicking and warmth concerns, you could always put on Capilene silkweight glove liners as your bottom layer and not have to worry about those aspects much at all.

#10902 - 12/04/02 01:33 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

<I often make the subject empty his own pockets if I feel the presence of a needle during a "pat down."><br><br>I don't want to sound rude since I know nothing about law enforcment and you are after all a pro but if you get the subject to empty there oun pockets might they not pull a weapon or or somthing out on you? <br>only observation of course and once again I really don't know very much about this, but I just wondered.....<br>thinks <br>-james<br><br>

#10903 - 12/04/02 08:14 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

hence the pat down prior to emptying his/her pockets.

#10904 - 12/04/02 11:59 PM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL, thanks GATOR! My response exactly.

#10905 - 12/05/02 05:17 AM Re: Kevlar gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

John, you must be the same JWMcINTIRE from plainsman's, I just responded to ya over there ironically. Just noticed you're also registered at jeff randalls place too. You must be stalking me, lol. <br><br>Nice to make your aquaintance, I go by GATOR at all three places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.