The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108936 - 10/17/07 05:14 PM Help! Leaky roof, need info
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I woke up to my roof leaking right around the chimney pipe. I know I need a new roof, but I couldn't afford even to buy the materials this year to do it myself, much less pay someone else to do it.

I've got some large plastic (6 mil) sheeting (100'x25') which will cover the roof, and plan to hold it down with 1x2s.

This is an old mobile home with a certified* free-standing wood stove, and about 7.5' ceilings, and the stove pipe ends about 3' above the roof, with a metal "hat" (I don't know what they're called), and 1/8" wire mesh around the inside (I think this is a spark arrester?).

*"Certified" apparently means tiny fire box.

Questions:
If I put plastic right up to the base of the chimney, will there be enough heat to melt it or cause a fire?

With the wire mesh inside the "hat", would flying sparks be an issue?

Should I use some of that foil tape to hold it to the chimney, or duct tape, or not tape it to the base of the outside chimney at all?

Any and all thoughts welcome. I've got to get this done today, the weather predictions only get worse for the forthcoming week.

Thanks, Sue

#108939 - 10/17/07 06:01 PM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: Susan]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

roof leaks may be difficult to diagnose.

if the whole roof is not leaking i wouldn't bother trying to cover the whole roof. lots of issues there - think wind, flapping, parachute..

it sounds like your leak is confined to the area around the chimney pipe. if you can safely go on the roof and look, you may find that the metal of the pipe or the flashing at the base is rusting away. a new one installed and sealed may be what you need - and not that expensive for a roofer to do.

if that's not it, the next cause may be due to old dried, cracked or missing sealant - the tar-like stuff - around the base of the pipe. if so, there's a product called Henry's that can be found in most hardware stores and that most roofers use to seal everything. it can even be applied in the rain. pretend you're icing a cake with black icing and spread it on. doesn't have to be neat - who's gonna see it - it just needs to cover the possible area of water entry.

to answer your question, typically - but not always - heat exhaust pipes are double-walled - so heat shouldn't be an issue. but i wouldn't chance it.

too, more rain will loosen the adhesive of the tape and no more seal...

hope this helps.

bsmith

#108940 - 10/17/07 06:08 PM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: Susan]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Unless the flu pipe is double-walled, it will probably get hot enough to melt the plastic and the duct tape. Sparks should be less of a concern with the cap and mesh.

Is there a woodstove dealer nearby? You might be able to squeeze some stove cement into the leak around the pipe (from the outside) as a temporary repair.

Failing that, I'd be tempted to try to make a temporary flashing for where the flu pipe comes through the roof, even if out of HD foil, and secure it with metal muffler repair tape, still available at most auto-parts stores.

Final option: use the plastic and duct tape, but accept the fact that the stove has to stay cold until the permanent repair is done.

And, seriously: good luck.

Frank2135

#108943 - 10/17/07 06:46 PM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: Frank2135]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Get some quotes from 2 or more roofers, quotes are often free,
then they can tell you what they would do to permanently fix the
problem, and how much you need to save up.

They may also recommend a temp. fix (they may not be able to do
the permanent repair immediately anyway and would be happy to
have something to do later in the season).

It is all good information to help you develop a plan.

#108950 - 10/17/07 08:14 PM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: clearwater]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Get some quotes from 2 or more roofers, quotes are often free,
then they can tell you what they would do to permanently fix the
problem, and how much you need to save up.

They may also recommend a temp. fix (they may not be able to do
the permanent repair immediately anyway and would be happy to
have something to do later in the season).

It is all good information to help you develop a plan.

excellent idea if the rain has stopped.

roofers can't be bribed enough to go on roofs in the rain.

#108956 - 10/17/07 10:15 PM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: ]
SoarnEagle Offline
Stranger

Susan...

Do NOT use plastic & Tape... It will melt perhaps even with double walled pipe.

DO use the 'black tar' roof sealant that has been recommended.

If your roof is old, there are many commercial sealants that will cover the entire roof. You should apply these periodically to make sure that the roof remains leakproof.

Hope this helps..

#108965 - 10/18/07 01:03 AM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: SoarnEagle]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
Originally Posted By: SoarnEagle
Susan...

Do NOT use plastic & Tape... It will melt perhaps even with double walled pipe.

DO use the 'black tar' roof sealant that has been recommended.

If your roof is old, there are many commercial sealants that will cover the entire roof. You should apply these periodically to make sure that the roof remains leakproof.

Hope this helps..

Never mind the above advice:
- Since you're short of money, the plastic and tape might just get you by, which it seems is what you are looking for.
- the black tar is another temporary but again might get you by
- Of course there are commercial sealants, but it doesn't sound like you are financially ready for these and any other permanent application.

#108967 - 10/18/07 01:36 AM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: xavier01]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
I have been trailer trash for a long time and patching a metal mobile home roof is preventative maintance. Every couple of years you need to use elastomeric roof coating or glop black stuff on the seams. When you use the black stuff be sure to use the stuff called cement not coating, the coating is thin and runny the cement is more like black cake icing (as mentioned above). There is also a fiberglass tape that can be used to make the repair much more durable. Layer of black stuff, lay down the screen and put down another layer of black stuff. Trust me this makes the repair last for years.

If the flashing is rusted out, you might be able to replace it yourself if you are somewhat handy with tools. The pipe would normally go through the roof, have a wide ring installed around the base (flashing), and be topped off with a hat. You will need to measure the diameter of the pipe, go down to your handy dandy hardware store, and buy new flashing and hat. While you are there ask the opinion of the proprietor there may be some new easy to install fix that i don't know about. Bring home the new parts, remove the old hat (cut it off or remove screws) put on the new flashing with lots of black cement under it, you might be able to add the new flashing without removing the old one. Then apply a layer of black cement and fiberglass to the area where the flashing meets the roof and then attach the new hat with a few screws. Be careful the edges of sheet metal parts are sharp, and work within your abilities. And above all else watch your step, it's not the fall that gets you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom that really hurts.

#108972 - 10/18/07 02:26 AM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am sure that I have the perfect answer to your problem, but I didn't see your post 'til after 8pm Mtn time, and since you needed a fix "today," it is too late for me to help. Hope you got it fixed. After last winter, I know how it can rain in WA...

#108984 - 10/18/07 04:38 AM Re: Help! Leaky roof, need info [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Thanks for the information, guys.

I got a 25x100 sheet of plastic up on one side of the house and anchored down with 1x2s. Will finish tomorrow if the weather cooperates, although wind is predicted.

I was suspicious of the plastic and the chimney, so after I posted the question, I built up a good fire and then felt around the base of the chimney on the roof, and it was warm. It looks double-walled, but with everyone here saying "Don't do it", I didn't do it.

Just this very second, it occurred to me that when I get to the chimney, I can stop short of the chimney and then surround that whole area with some stray roofing shingle tabs that my neighbor had left over. I couldn't see anything cracked or rusted at the base of the chimney. When my brother got here, he said it may be leaking elsewhere on the roof and running along a crosspiece within the "attic" and pooling by the chimney.

Stupid mobile homes. Once they're built, they should be good forever... (yeah, right)

Thanks for the help!

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.