Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#108545 - 10/13/07 02:31 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I'm going to see the new movie based on INTO THE WILD instead. I'm going to buy a big tub of popcorn, some gummy worms and a 32 oz Doctor Pepper- no rice.

I finally went to see it. I enjoyed the movie very much. I appreciated the soundtrack by Eddie Vedder (the singer of Pearl Jam), it was very relaxing. But instead of gummy worms, I bought gummy bears. I thought it was more appropriate.

Frankie

#108758 - 10/15/07 08:16 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Frankie]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I took the bushcraft summer course at Karamat a couple of years ago. It was truly awesome. Mors is one of the best instructors I've ever seen at anything, and his wealth of knowledge about the area seemed inexhaustible.

I don't know if he is still teaching the entire course but IMO even if he only makes it out one or two days, it would still be worth the money.

I wanted so badly to take the Winter course but I just wasn't able to make it happen. :-(

#108759 - 10/15/07 08:22 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: dougwalkabout]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Well, I am a closet romantic and always assume the best in people, so maybe I spoke too soon. I missed the photograph of them both wearing blue jeans - that's a scary thing. And they are requesting "donations" for anyone who wants to keep track of their progress. OTOH, they're not likely to get rich off of $10 donations (or maybe they are - there was a college student (Mike Hayes of Rochelle, Illinois) who financed his entire degree by requesting one-cent donations on the internet, according to www.snopes.com.

Oh, well. Good luck to them both anyway.

#108768 - 10/15/07 10:53 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: aardwolfe]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Closet romantic here, too; but, been around long enough to view such things with a skeptical (not cynical) eye.

I don't object to them financing their adventure with donations and video footage. I do know (having some years in the business) that the camera tends to take over; it must be fed; and that can skew even the most innocent of enterprises.

I sincerely hope they are better prepared than they let on.

And heck, I wouldn't even mind going along (as long as I can tape a sierra cup and a flint to my leg. ;-)

#108823 - 10/16/07 02:04 PM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Roarmeister]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yes he's well known for this trick. In the video he uses only two layers of socks from CustomWoolenMills, 70% wool 30% mohair. It acts like a wetsuit...

#108983 - 10/18/07 04:37 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
Over the next few months they will be posting videos of what they have learned, so you can learn with them.

Apparently they've made it through the first 8 days at least. The video for it is up on their website for the Premium members only. If they managed the first few days, then their probability of making it the full 30 days has increased significantly. Best of luck to them.

#109067 - 10/19/07 01:10 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: Roarmeister]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...If they managed the first few days, then their probability of making it the full 30 days has increased significantly..."

Maybe, maybe not. Being cold and hungry for a few days does not compare at all with being miserable for 30...

#109100 - 10/19/07 02:37 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
Help is available to them if they give up. The only thing they are really in danger of losing is their pride.
I used to have a buddy who was interested in those kinds of outtings. We went to the wilds of British Columbia for awhile, and had quite a little adventure. We built a shelter, even a raft to go down river, but the rivers in BC aren't the Mississippi. We also had an inner tube trip down a river in Arizona for a few days. We got there from CA by way of a frieght train, and hitchhiking. We really didn't know where we would end up back then. Good times. Anyway, regarding wilderness survival adventure, I wanted more..., much, much more. But he got a job, married, and now has kids, whereas I am but a young elf who has no hope of "growing up".
I envy their bond, assuming of course.

Edited by TQS (10/19/07 02:38 AM)

#110437 - 10/29/07 03:35 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: TQS]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

There is an post on the bare wilderness website from Oct. 23rd stating that the guys did not make the 30 days. Looking at the departure date and the last calculations of days gone, it appears they stopped at day 14. Have to give them credit for trying though.

The post is here.

#110439 - 10/29/07 03:45 AM Re: The Bare Wilderness Survival Feat [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
So what happened that ended it? Weather? Lack of preps? Lack of equipment? Lack of experience? Lack of brains?

Sue

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.