Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108587 - 10/13/07 10:55 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Charlton warned us all about this over 30 years ago, you can either go out with a BANG or a wimper

#108591 - 10/14/07 12:50 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
If there were no humans on Earth, there would be no stupid animals writing senseless articles like that. It's a PETA pipe dream, however "logical" it may sound to the gullible few. Who is paying people to write "dreams"? (Probably the same people spending tax money for artists who aren't qualified and skilled enough to sell their "art" [like scrap metal welded together with no theme or end vision] on the free market. Us!)

#108593 - 10/14/07 01:06 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Stretch]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Stretch
If there were no humans on Earth, there would be no stupid animals writing senseless articles like that. It's a PETA pipe dream, however "logical" it may sound to the gullible few. Who is paying people to write "dreams"? (Probably the same people spending tax money for artists who aren't qualified and skilled enough to sell their "art" [like scrap metal welded together with no theme or end vision] on the free market. Us!)

FYI,

The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis is a research center of the University of California, Santa Barbara. It has no affiliation with PETA.

Funding is provided by the National Science Foundation, the State of California, and the University of California, Santa Barbara.

NCEAS supports cross-disciplinary research that uses existing data to address major fundamental issues in ecology and allied fields, and their application to management and policy. NCEAS is a unique institution with an explicit mission to foster synthesis and analysis, turn information into understanding and, through effective collaboration, alter how science is conducted.

They are trying to help us.

bsmith

#108623 - 10/14/07 01:10 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: bsmith]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: bsmith

FYI,

bsmith

No, it's not sponsored or written by PETA, but it remains a PETA pipe dream, I think.

No, they're not trying to help us with this article, no more than they'd be trying to help us if they hypothesized Earth without PETA.

#108628 - 10/14/07 02:04 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Stretch]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: bsmith

FYI,

bsmith

No, it's not sponsored or written by PETA, but it remains a PETA pipe dream, I think.

No, they're not trying to help us with this article, no more than they'd be trying to help us if they hypothesized Earth without PETA.

- Thank you for agreeing that PETA does not sponsor nor did not write the article.

PETA website: PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time: on factory farms, in laboratories, in the clothing trade, and in the entertainment industry. We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds and other "pests," and the abuse of backyard dogs.

Granted their sometime terrorist style affronts common decency. But so did the American Revolutionaries. Point is, sometimes people have felt it necessary to do the outlandish to capture attention.

I am not a member of PETA. I don't know what they stand for. Their website statement, I can agree with..

- If people did not think about what could or could not be - we would never have walked upright, nor walked on the moon. That's what the article is about - imagining what earth would be like w/o us - and then perhaps thinking how we can change our daily living to ensure that we don't cause our own extinction w/toxic waste, pollution, nuclear waste, and all of the man-made 'things' we've created that could kill us all.

I try to remember that although we are currently on the top of the food chain, it wouldn't take much to change that. For most people that would be to go in the woods after dark.

I applaud the scientists - and i hope they keep thinking.

bsmith

#108645 - 10/14/07 06:46 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: ironraven]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Small problem with that theory- a bunch of toxic matierals. Without humans to maintain the facilities, it will dump in the local enviroment in massive quantities, creating massive dead zones.

Now, if you want to talk about an Earth were nothing human, human-like, or even sentient developed... Someone might enjoy the quiet, but I doubt anything would have the brain power needed to make such an conclusion.

Just in case any B.E.M. is planning something, I've set all the reactors to go prompt critical and the ICBM'S are now in fail deadly mode.............

#108685 - 10/15/07 11:51 AM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, I think I have a far different take on the outcome of non-human future for this planet... annihilation.

If there is any hope for this little marble for the next few million years, it rests singularly with us. Of all the species to have come and gone on this planet, we are the only ones who've made it to a technological condition whereby we possess the capability to actually avert the effects of a natural cataclysm. It may well rest with us whether or not the pushing of nature's reset button can be pre-empted, and most life on this planet can be spared.

I do not subscribe to the chicken little inuendo of the author, though I would tend to affirm his posit that our relative impact on our planet's ecological dynamics have, to date, been rather modest and superficial. Alarmists have a tendency to grossly exxagerate the size of our footprint so as to disproportionate the environmentalists' argument. Were it not for the author's opening statements, I would conclude this article has appropriate perspective. Alas, the theme doth run a bit droll.

#108695 - 10/15/07 01:39 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: hamilton]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: hamilton
The article isn't about the world being a better place without humans, it's about a hypothetical situation, what the world would be like if humans disappeared. The article isn't about humans being "bad".

Sorry, but the entire slant of the article implies that the earth without humans is "natural" and somehow we are an alien species that may or may not "leave its mark".

I find it funny that the same camp that believes humans are just an evolved hairless ape also believes that humans are the only species that is not part of "nature".

Oh, and it’s obvious that the purpose of the entire article is to get to the sermon on "Carbon dioxide, the biggest worry in today's world". You gotta laugh at the statement "There will be CO2 left in the atmosphere, continuing to influence the climate, more than 1000 years after humans stop emitting it" I hope so, otherwise everything would die.

They say that it would take over 1000 years for CO2 concentration to get back to 280ppm "pre-industrial levels" as if that is the "correct" level of CO2 in the atmosphere. In fact the only other time in the past 600 million years that the CO2 level has been below 400ppm was the Carboniferous period, 300 million years ago. Why don't they tell us how long it will take to get back to the "correct" 7,000 (that's seven thousand) ppm of the Cambrian period?

How about an article on how long its going to take for the effect of pre-historic life to be erased. You know, all those plants sucking CO2 out the air, they dying, becoming buried and turned into fossil fuel, depleting our atmosphere of an essential gas?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#108697 - 10/15/07 02:05 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: thseng]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

imagine... a world without chihuahuas, cows, persian cats, and thoughts of other specialized breeds which could never exist naturally.

#108716 - 10/15/07 04:24 PM Re: Imagine Earth without people [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I'm still trying to understand why anybody would consider this article relevant."

Relevant to what? This is Around the Campfire, so can't we talk about anything? We could talk about the color preferences of mice ( http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W9W-49SFF11-2&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2003&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bb1d58c83b7a76ed709579ecd5bc943d ) or recipes for cooking your own dog food. We COULD even talk about zombies and pirates!

Sue

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 269 Guests and 131 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.